Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 PM

904 posts, read 1,384,326 times

Advertisements

My wife's in the Army. When we first met, she told me many times, I'm not getting in a relationship, because the Army is going to transfer me at some point.

I said "OK, I can live with that."

So we went through several months of not dating and not being in a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 PM

47 posts, read 66,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
My wife's in the Army. When we first met, she told me many times, I'm not getting in a relationship, because the Army is going to transfer me at some point.

I said "OK, I can live with that."

So we went through several months of not dating and not being in a relationship.
So did you two just hang out for awhile? How long did you wait to ask her out?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,490,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeland121 View Post
I told her I really enjoyed talked to her and would like to continue talking to her in the future and possibly exploring something more than friends. To this she replied that it would not be fair to either of us since we would only have about a year together at school and that she wants to be able to fully concentrate on her studies at graduate school.
This is rubbish. The fact is, for whatever reason, this woman is just not into you. If she were, she wouldn't care about being able to "fully concentrate on her studies." If a woman really likes a man, she MAKES time for him, whatever her circumstances. Shame on her for not having the guts to be honest with you and not string you along this way.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,514,642 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I know I can get ahead of myself sometimes. Really wish I could turn it off. It just kind of surprised me when she said she wasn't looking for anything serious and "I can always use more friends!" w/o me bringing up the topic. She just sent me it one morning. Anyways, she still wants to hang out so I'm excited about that. I really wish there was an easy way for me to keep my emotions in check and my head out of my ass. If anyone finds one, let me know.
Just relax, have fun and go with the flow. Remember that ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,316,800 times
Scopeland121..to me, she sounds like a very determined young lady with aspirations and goals that she wants to meet. She's made it very plain, and in a respectable way, that she has no time right now for any serious relationship...in other words, if you like her enough to be her friend, go for it (but if you go in looking for more, don't be hurt if it doesn't)She sounds like she'd be a real nice friend to have.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,966,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Scopeland121..to me, she sounds like a very determined young lady with aspirations and goals that she wants to meet. She's made it very plain, and in a respectable way, that she has no time right now for any serious relationship...in other words, if you like her enough to be her friend, go for it (but if you go in looking for more, don't be hurt if it doesn't)She sounds like she'd be a real nice friend to have.
If a woman was that clear to me about such relationship intents, I would treat her like I treat every other guy friend that I have.

That means;
Do:
do Go out for drinks with her.
do watch movies with her.
do hang out with her.
do even go to museums/shows/whatever with her.
do treat her like a buddy.

Don't:
Don't Buy her dinners.
Don't go to dinner with JUST HER.
Don't treat her any different that you treat a guy friend.

Sounds like you have a great opportunity for a good friend !
Have fun !

Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM

904 posts, read 1,384,326 times
Quote:
So did you two just hang out for awhile? How long did you wait to ask her out?
From the week we met we went out at least once a week. In her mind they were not dates. In her mind we were not in a relationship even though we were exclusive (without actually telling each other we were exclusive) about two months in our friends all knew we were in a relationship, she just didn't.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:26 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,350,484 times
I agree with rhacer. You look at this two ways.

You either accept that it might never be anything more than a friendship and move on if that's not what you want.

Or you just hang out with her and be friends and see where it goes. If you get to know each other and click and she likes you, it won't matter what her plans were, she'll try to make something work.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 PM

47 posts, read 66,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess going to dinner falls under her definition of "remaining friends, and let the cards fall where they may". Maybe she just didn't like being put on the spot, or maybe she wants to take it slowly. It sounds like Mixed Signals City. Or Friends First City.
It turned out to be Mixed Signals City.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,167,551 times
When a girl calls you "cute", it usually doesn't mean anything. This one doesn't sound like it's going anywhere. So unless you're in it just for the sex or companionship, I'd drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships