Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,029,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I don't think my husband and I are necessarily always the dominant or the submissive. It really depends on the area in question. He's more dominant when it comes to financial matters, home maintenance, large purchases (property, cars, boats..etc) and more submissive when it comes to making decisions about the kids, running the household or choosing a vacation destination.

We balance eachother well.

At works he's a leader in his position and he sets the expectations, tone and pace at his job.
I'm more of a follower at work and much more flexible and agreeable that he would be.
I would say that this describes my wife and I quite nicely. There are some areas where she takes the lead and others that I do. But even in areas in which one of takes the lead, we often solicit the input of the other. We are pretty good at making decisions together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
And can a person who tends to be dominant in a relationship be a generally submissive person in life? Or is how we relate to others the same whether we are on a date or in the office?
To this I say, yes. My wife has a close friend whose husband is a good example. In life he is a complete yes man. Can't say no to anyone. I've seen him cancel plans with his family because someone has asked him for help with something else. It's good to be a friend like that, but you have to be a family man, too. And he doesn't help because he wants to, he helps because he doesn't know how to tell someone "no." But at home it is another story completely. He makes every decision, even restricting what his wife can wear. Ridiculous. He makes decisions, then announcements. In other words, he decides without her, then lets her know what he has decided.

He has grown steadily worse over the years. He was actually close to sane when we met. I feel bad for his wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,025,777 times
Neither of us is "dominant" or "submissive" at this point in our marriage. We argue over decisions, and at the end there is some sort of compromise. Nobody gets 100% of what they want. It's messier than one person calling the shots and the other giving in resentfully, but it makes for a better marriage, IMO.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,409,280 times
I'm single but in agreement with Chow, Sixy, Baldrick and iknwftbll.

Look, in a balanced relationship, you complement each other. The partner with the appropriate skills/knowledge/whatever steps to the fore in moments when they are needed. Ultimately the decision making in a particular area is done by the person with the appropriate skills/knowledge/whatever. Maybe one person in the couple is "taking control" in a manner of speaking more often than the other one, but the point is that no one's keeping score and each recognizes when the other's skills/knowledge/whatever are called for and has no problem stepping into the background. Nothing's going to be 50-50, but it's more about removing the ego from the scenario and recognizing one's own and one's partner's strengths and limitations.

I don't really think alpha/beta has anything to do with it. It's more an issue of maturity, imho.

Oh yeah, and compromise, as forum_browser pointed out. Most of the time it's not going to be anyone making a decision, but a negotiation between two equal parties.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM

52,369 posts, read 52,828,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm single but in agreement with Chow, Sixy, Baldrick and iknwftbll.

Look, in a balanced relationship, you complement each other. The partner with the appropriate skills/knowledge/whatever steps to the fore in moments when they are needed. Ultimately the decision making in a particular area is done by the person with the appropriate skills/knowledge/whatever. Maybe one person in the couple is "taking control" in a manner of speaking more often than the other one, but the point is that no one's keeping score and each recognizes when the other's skills/knowledge/whatever are called for and has no problem stepping into the background. Nothing's going to be 50-50, but it's more about removing the ego from the scenario and recognizing one's own and one's partner's strengths and limitations.

I don't really think alpha/beta has anything to do with it. It's more an issue of maturity, imho.

Oh yeah, and compromise, as forum_browser pointed out. Most of the time it's not going to be anyone making a decision, but a negotiation between two equal parties.
Yeah, I think you hit it right with the ego part. I don't think either one of us is better per se, I think it's just one may be stronger in a certain area is all...

Recognizing that is a good thing....

Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 PM

904 posts, read 1,384,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Hang on... That's you, me, Sixy and Chow'.. hmm.... That would mean there are happy, well adjusted and working couples in the world!

More than that it means there's at least 4 on CD! We are freaks, there's no getting away with it, happy, complementing couples on here?.. who'd have thunk it.
It's quite a shock isn't it!

Hopefully we can hold down the fort until reinforcements arrive!

Oh I think we can add DewDrop to the list also.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,679,236 times
It's been my experience that alpha males and alpha females get along better than alpha males and female betas...or beta males and alpha females...

The first thing you've got to realize is that alphas don't really have a choice as to whether they are one or not. They do so because they don't know how else to be. For example, one of the alphas I know, he isn't really attractive, he isn't really smart, and really, he isn't much of anything. Yet, because of all this, he has to be aggressive, he wouldn't get any play otherwise. And truthfully, if you realize how hard he works for everything he has, you'll end up respecting him despite all of his superficial faults..

Secondly, alpha males are completely different from alpha females. It's kind of necessary because the alpha female tempers the male a bit...grounds him. Where the male is aggressive, the alpha female is more passive.

Thirdly, being alpha in the relationship isn't the same as being alpha in real life. Most men who choose dominant positions in the relationship aren't dominant outside of it.

Fourthly, don't have the "Am I alpha?" conversation with your girl...keep far away from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships