Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times

Advertisements

And no, dirty minds, I don't necessarily mean in the bedroom. But in every relationship is there one partner who is the more dominant personality who tends to call the shots? Or is that a silly oversimplification?

And can a person who tends to be dominant in a relationship be a generally submissive person in life? Or is how we relate to others the same whether we are on a date or in the office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
And no, dirty minds, I don't necessarily mean in the bedroom. But in every relationship is there one partner who is the more dominant personality who tends to call the shots? Or is that a silly oversimplification?

17 pages of discussion ensues

Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,247 times
Quote:

And can a person who tends to be dominant in a relationship be a generally submissive person in life? Or is how we relate to others the same whether we are on a date or in the office?
Yup.

As for the other questions there really is not definitive answer to give one would be a silly oversimplification of human behavior.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

17 pages of discussion ensues
But this forum any many topics exist didn't oversimplify complex and varied things.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,518 times
I think for a harmonious relationship, there is someone who is going to be a bit more submissive and the other is going to be a bit more dominant. I remember reading somewhere that in every relationship, there is someone who is the "star" and their partner caters to them. That being said, the roles can switch often between the couple -- it's just that there isn't a set equilibrium.

As for dominant in the office, dominant in relationships, I think that really depends on the person. Personally, I am usually dominant in group work and often solitary in school. But relationship wise, I found that I tended to vary between the two depending on the situation or what I was doing at the time (at home, down time: more nurturing; out and about, doing activities: more bossy).

Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Alpha and beta.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Alpha and beta.
Those terms are what got me thinking about it, but in that line of thinking I thought Alphas usually ended up with Alphas and Betas with Betas?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
I am an alpha and get along better with beta males. When I have dated alpha males we ended up fighting for control and it can be a pain.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,518 times
Quote:
Those terms are what got me thinking about it, but in that line of thinking I thought Alphas usually ended up with Alphas and Betas with Betas?
Technically, an Alpha's perfect match is the Beta, the right hand man/woman, not another Alpha.

As for "Alpha males", their perfect match is their right hand.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
I don't think my husband and I are necessarily always the dominant or the submissive. It really depends on the area in question. He's more dominant when it comes to financial matters, home maintenance, large purchases (property, cars, boats..etc) and more submissive when it comes to making decisions about the kids, running the household or choosing a vacation destination.

We balance eachother well.

At works he's a leader in his position and he sets the expectations, tone and pace at his job.
I'm more of a follower at work and much more flexible and agreeable that he would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships