Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,159,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Friends first is a fine idea in theory, and it seems to work quite well for many women. However, it often fails in practice for men. The reason is simple: most single, desirable women are being pursued by more than one man at any given time. If a man takes it slow, if he tries to be friends first, he will usually end up being pushed aside by another man who is more aggressive. You say the best relationship you ever had went on for 6 months before anything happened? That's great. I am glad it worked out for you. But as men, we usually learn the hard way we just don't have that much time.
Not only that, but she just might not like him for whatever reason. Then, he has invested feelings into the matter and the end result is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,041,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchew0 View Post
Seems like most people go on a few dates to determine whether someone is right for them or not. Well I must be in the minority in that I must be friends with someone first before I know whether we're compatible enough to date because I think a few dates can't tell you too much about someone. Yes you get to know them as you date but it makes it too awkward for me because I'll have expectations and have anxiety about who else they're seeing or if they like me or where is this going? Whereas with friends, it takes the pressure off and I won't really care if they're seeing other people. One of the best relationship I've been in was when we were just friends for 6 months before anything happened. Yes we flirted and it was obvious we liked each other, and we were going out as friends, but it wasn't until one day when I was having dinner by myself that I wanted to have dinner with them when I realized I wanted to date them. I had another bf at that time too so of course I didn't think I wanted to date him until it was too late and the feelings had sunk in. How am I supposed to survive in today's dating world if I view dating as blah until we become friends, but most people, once they're in the friend zone, they don't want to date anymore. I need to have a strong connection with someone before I even think we should be dating. That might be why in the past I usually jump from one to two real dates to someone's girlfriend because we already knew each other. But it doesn't work that way with normal people. I seem to work the opposite as most people nowadays.
I'm sure you are as long as you weren't paying for the dates. Im sure you you loved eating those meals without giving up sex. Do you tell them this prior

Old 12-22-2012, 02:04 PM

12,334 posts, read 17,191,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
Just do what works for you. All that matters is the results and you feel comfortable. Anything else would just be arguing semantics and anecdotal examples.
Best advice from Jaybird.

Dating is not easy, Lots of expectations, mixed messages barring straightforward communication. I said some time ago that dating sucks due to this. A necessary activity though for those looking for someone and like everything in life, not guaranteed to end to one's satisfaction.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 PM

245 posts, read 387,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I'm sure you are as long as you weren't paying for the dates. Im sure you you loved eating those meals without giving up sex
What does that have to do with the OP?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:38 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,797,786 times
Quote:
Friends first is a fine idea in theory, and it seems to work quite well for many women. However, it often fails in practice for men. The reason is simple: most single, desirable women are being pursued by more than one man at any given time. If a man takes it slow, if he tries to be friends first, he will usually end up being pushed aside by another man who is more aggressive. You say the best relationship you ever had went on for 6 months before anything happened? That's great. I am glad it worked out for you. But as men, we usually learn the hard way we just don't have that much time.
I beg to differ. The more aggressive ones chase me away because they put too much pressure on me. It makes me,wonder if they'll push me,into marriage and other things I wasn't ready for or things I didn't agree on.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
What does that have to do with the OP?
Read both statements slowly again

Old 12-22-2012, 03:50 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,799,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchew0 View Post
I beg to differ. The more aggressive ones chase me away because they put too much pressure on me. It makes me,wonder if they'll push me,into marriage and other things I wasn't ready for or things I didn't agree on.
For serious? You're afraid someone is going to intimidate you into marriage?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:51 PM

245 posts, read 387,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Read both statements slowly again
sorry, bitter man, the op didn't say or imply that meals were purchased for her. anyone who attempts to buy sex with meals, deserves much frustration

Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
sorry, bitter man, the op didn't say or imply that meals were purchased for her. anyone who attempts to buy sex with meals, deserves much frustration
You are a man hater. You actually think she paid for 100% of all those dates?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,691,961 times
Quote:
If a woman likes you romantically, she'll either wait for you or start dropping hints/making moves. If she actually likes you, she won't let some other dude swoop in and 'snatch her up'. It doesn't work that way...if she starts dating some other guy, she wasn't that into you.

I really like the guy I'm seeing now. We've gone on... 5 dates I believe and I've stayed the night at his place (on the couch, of course... we got really into a board game and I missed the train home) and we've only kissed once. No other guy is going to swoop in and grab me up because I'm interested in HIM regardless of how long it takes us to to progress in our 'relationship'.

If she likes you, she'll wait or make a move. If she's eh about you, she'll date other guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships