Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a guy that played video games?
Yes, I would it does not bother me. 35 64.81%
No, I wouldn't because it is too childish 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 AM

504 posts, read 852,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm a gamer.

So I actually prefer a man who plays.
What she said. If I were on the dating market, it would almost be a requirement for him to be a gamer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I'm more of a board game person. I host board game nights about once a month so ideally anyone I date seriously will want to play too. These are more of the party games with the current fave being Cards Against Humanity. I'm starting to get into the strategy games as well; I was recently told by another woman at a board game Meetup she likes me because I'm the only other woman who comes back on a regular basis.
Cards Against Humanity is the most wrong game ever, but both times I've played everyone around the table has disolved into tears of hysterics at least once.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:42 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
We're in our mid forties and my husband plays. It's a great way for him to unwind, he usually does it if I go to bed before him, or if I'm reading. Both him and the 10 year old boy are trying to get me to play... but I don't have any interest..... mainly I suspect if I do I'll get hooked and get nothing done.

I do use the kinect for exercise and dance games.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 PM

681 posts, read 618,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oh the beeped out one was f r o g g e r. I think we need a tourney on street fighter.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
why was f r o g g e r beeped out? that's kinda funny

Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times

Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
Cards Against Humanity is the most wrong game ever, but both times I've played everyone around the table has disolved into tears of hysterics at least once.
I just read a review on it and it sounds interesting, love apples to apples btw which is what it seems to be based off of

Old 12-26-2012, 01:20 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
I voted NO. I know lots of women like guys who play video games, but I am not one of them. I actually find it a big turn-off (sorry), but it appears I am in the minority. I prefer my guy to have other (usually more active and outdoorsy) pastimes. I do not play video games and am not into the role playing/gaming lifestyle though I know many others enjoy it. I'd just prefer to be with someone who is not into this.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I voted NO. I know lots of women like guys who play video games, but I am not one of them. I actually find it a big turn-off (sorry), but it appears I am in the minority. I prefer my guy to have other (usually more active and outdoorsy) pastimes. I do not play video games and am not into the role playing/gaming lifestyle though I know many others enjoy it. I'd just prefer to be with someone who is not into this.
Ok, finally someone is honest and upfront haha and that's fine, but why exactly do you find it a turn off? do you think its geeky or dumb? Is it because you don't understand why some guys likes to play the games so much? Are you like this because perhaps you think you will be tuned out and it's not something you guys can do together?

There is nothing wrong with your opinion and everyone has one, personally, I find more hispanic women seem to be turned off by it, but that's just my experience

Old 12-26-2012, 01:43 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I voted yes, but it's kind of conditional.

I'm assuming that he doesn't spend every minute doing it, I'm assuming that if we're sharing a household, he is still pulling his full adult weight. If he is spending every minute not working, on his computer, and I'm doing ALL of the housework (it's like that in my house) then I get peeved. But it's because of the unfairness. I used to play WoW...I don't have time now unless I am OK with my house becoming a filthy pit, which I am not. That game just plain requires more dedicated time than I have.

Otherwise I'm perfectly OK with us amusing ourselves seperately as we wish, he with his Counter Strike and me with a good book and a comfy chair. It's all good.

One "too geeky" turn off for me is collectible card games like Magic. I don't know why. We play D&D and that is fine...but Magic is stupid to me, like it's one a whole different level of dorky. I'm also not into guys being obsessed with Anime. Again, hard to explain, it's just me... I've been to the conventions, and seen for myself that there are levels of geekdom that are too much for me.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
Ok, finally someone is honest and upfront haha and that's fine, but why exactly do you find it a turn off? do you think its geeky or dumb? Is it because you don't understand why some guys likes to play the games so much? Are you like this because perhaps you think you will be tuned out and it's not something you guys can do together?

There is nothing wrong with your opinion and everyone has one, personally, I find more hispanic women seem to be turned off by it, but that's just my experience
I might be able to tolerate a small amount of gaming (we all need escapism), but I do generally find it a turn-off. I'll probably get slammed for this as I am online, but here are some reasons (since you asked):

I prefer men who are realists and proactive doers over those into fantasy escape environments
I prefer men who are too busy with real-life pursuits to get overly involved in an imaginary world
I prefer men who are extremely physically active, athletic and outdoorsy with lots of pastimes that reflect this
I prefer pastimes we can do together and know it is unlikely I'll ever like video games (and I've tried - I do have brothers, college friends who love gaming)

I understand that gamers can still be all of the above, but to me, video-game playing men represent (accurately or not) the opposite of the type of man I like. And I'm sure my attitude is a turn-off to many, very nice game-playing men.

BTW, I'm not hispanic and I like "smart geeks" as long as they are physically active and outdoorsy. My SO is a brilliant engineer who doesn't do video games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships