Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 PM

316 posts, read 214,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
Men and women with advanced degrees, doctors and lawyers, spent a while in school. They spent most of their 20s and 30s on a career. By then, most of their dating pool and peer group was made up of divorced single people, not like in college where most everyone was single never married no kids.

They had high expectations for marriage, and they didn't really want to marry someone who was divorced, especially with kids.

From 30s and 40s, most single divorced people that age are concerned about being single parents and raising their kids. It really sucks if you waited to get married and have a family, only to realize no one else did, and you have to deal anyway with some other man or woman's drama, child support, custody battles, etc. etc.

So, he is still 50 and single, and he will marry a woman who has grown children over the age of 18 who no longer live at home. Or he will try to find a woman who has no kids from a previous relationship, which is difficult once the women are over the age of 25.

He may be interested in women only ten or so years younger if they themselves don't have kids.

It really is quite sad that sometimes evolution in our times no longer favors the intellectual and the deep thinkers.
Maybe it isn't because the have high expectations but about not settling for just anyone. I wonder if I would have married my husband if he had children already. It is a lot to deal with for someone who has never married no matter how much you love a person. Then many faiths forbid you to marry someone divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
George Lucas(star wars) is over 60 and his gal is early 40's(she's a CEO).

Does that men he has issues?

I'll always date younger(10-25 years yuonger), more vibrant women. That's what I like.

Why? because I can.
Big deal. It's a free country. No one was challenging anyone here, just pointing out options.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
What do women think of a guy who is 50, single, never married and no kids? I know a guy who is 50 and in this situation and he seems to be doing great. He started a company a few years ago and I did some consulting work for him- he is very successful and he looks a lot younger than most people his age.

According to him, because he was never married and never had kids, he was able to achieve all his material goals in life, he travelled the world, lives very comfortably, can pretty much afford anything he wants even though, he is very frugal and down to Earth.

I am sure he has no problems meeting high quality, younger women because he is successful, has a great personality and has a lot of life experiences. For a person in his situation, what would be the advantages of getting married?
If he is happy the way things are, then he should just keep doing what he is doing. If he thinks one day he wants to get married or have children, he better get moving on that soon. Women are a little wary of someone that age that has never been married or had children. Because they have lived their life the way they want, traveled alot, been their own boss most of their life, they tend to be very self-involved. They are not used to giving of themselves and thinking of others alot. If he is happy the way things are I say live and let live. The advantages of getting married at his age would possibly be having someone to grow old with, someone to wake up to, someone to travel the world with him, the opportunity to think of someone besides himself and give a part of himself to someone special, mostly a life partner.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
We sure do. That's impressive. Years ago, it wasn't. Back in the golden years, paying cash was the norm.
But boasting about it will always be gauche.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,520 times
He's the smartest guy on Earth. He has probably achieved everything he wanted, travelled to every part of the world (together with the unique, once in a lifetime experiences that brings) and can do pretty much what he wants whenever he wants without the financial burden of wife and kids. His life couldn't be more perfect.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM

368 posts, read 577,596 times
Your clock is ticking, I'd start thinking about kids by now.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM

464 posts, read 479,387 times
Sounds like a catch. What's his phone number/email OP?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
What do women think of a guy who is 50, single, never married and no kids? I know a guy who is 50 and in this situation and he seems to be doing great. He started a company a few years ago and I did some consulting work for him- he is very successful and he looks a lot younger than most people his age.

According to him, because he was never married and never had kids, he was able to achieve all his material goals in life, he travelled the world, lives very comfortably, can pretty much afford anything he wants even though, he is very frugal and down to Earth.

I am sure he has no problems meeting high quality, younger women because he is successful, has a great personality and has a lot of life experiences. For a person in his situation, what would be the advantages of getting married?
What is there to think about a 50 year old man who is single and never married with no kids? This is a big world and it takes all sorts of people to make it go round, he is just one of billions...making it go round and undoubtedly not alone.

But what if he does not want to get married? At this point it is pretty obvious he appears to be very satisfied, content, and successful with his life so unless he wants to have children, indeed, what would be the advantages of his getting married. None that I can See!

If he does want to get married and have children it would no doubt behoove him to look for a much younger woman for her various compatabilities...hopefully someone with an education (just for the broad range of knowledge and intelligent conversations), and the ability to conceive and bear children.

Anything else will be whatever physical requirements he has a preference for.

All of this is just my opinion of course based on the information you have provided, I am very sure that there is much more than meets the eye here...and that's fine.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 AM

302 posts, read 868,603 times
Let’s see…

My father has been married four times and has five kids. My sister has been married three times and has four kids. Both of them are dirt poor.

I was married at 21 and divorced at 23. It took me 12 years to pay off all of the debts the ex accumulated and then dumped on me and to recover my credit rating.

I will be 45 in a couple of months. I’m not married have no known offspring. I keep in shape, have a decent career, and I’m on track to retire to a nice warm place in 7-10 years.

I am open to dating women my own age but frankly, most of them have baggage (crazy kids, crazy ex, debt issues, etc.). Many of the ones that don’t have those issues look, as my father would say, like they’ve been run through the wringer because they don't take care of themselves. Again, I would be happy to date a woman my own age who doesn't have these issues.

So I tend to date younger. My current GF is nine years younger. We might get married and have kids or we might not. If not, maybe I’ll marry somebody else and maybe have kids or maybe not. Either way, I will find a way to be happy and make it work.

I guess this makes me a self centered, commitment phobic jerk.

Last edited by Aville239; 01-02-2013 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: Added the bolded to para 4.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
I am open to dating women my own age but frankly, most of them have baggage (crazy kids, crazy ex, debt issues, etc.). The ones that don’t have those issues look, as my father would say, like they’ve been run through the wringer.
Actually, those of us who are your age who don't have such problems are LESS likely to look like we've been through the wringer, simply because we don't have the stress, but you keep telling yourself what you need to hear to make yourself feel better, being that we're also not available to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships