Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 11,064 times

Advertisements

My bf and I have been in a relationship for about a year now. He has a full time job as an accountant at a solo firm and makes a decent amount of salary, but he still lives with his mom and lets her run his life. She runs a business, and whenever there is a maintenance issue,i.e., dead light bulb, she calls on her son instead of a technician. He then leaves his work and drives 40 minutes to take care of things. When she's home, she calls him constantly while he's out. She often has trivial excuse for wanting him to come home such as the dog needs to be walked, the laundry needs to be dried, etc. He complies of course.

This mother of his happens to despise me. I have been married bf and have 3 children from the marriage. I am an attorney and am a hard worker and responsible. I had to twist his arm to even reveal to his mom that he was dating someone. Also twisted his arm to tell her whom he was seeing. I sent her various small presents to let her know that I was looking forward to finally meeting her in person, and she apprently trashed them all.

He is otherwise very caring, thoughtful, and great to my children. But he is scared to death to stand up to his mom much less introduce me to her. He says he plans to live with her until he marries. On Thanksgiving, he was with his mom and brought me leftover turkey the next day. On Christmas weekend he worked for 3 days at his mother's store bc she refused to hire extra staff. On New Year's, today, he accompanied her to a local mall with her friend, and is still there being dragged around by the two ladies for five hours. He doesnt seem to have a problem with any of the above.

I, on the other hand, think this is a red flag. What makes it so hard is that he is such a great guy in all the other departments. Do I shut the door on this relationship? Or do I remain to be his faithful and patient girlfriend until he finally decides to become an independent adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Wow. This will not go well.............

He's his mother's BF, not yours. Even if you do get married, I would bet most of this will not change.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Well see it's like this.

His mother has been in his life for 31 years.

You have been in it for....how long? 31 weeks? Yet you still think you should take priority?

If you have 3 kids of your own, clearly you are busy yourself and only have limited time to worry about your love life.

I would think this arrangement would be perfect, myself.

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Very good questions, OP. Would your bf be willing to get counseling to help him develop some spine toward his mom? I see this as the only way to "save" the relationship, or make it workable. If he's not sincere about wanting to let go of mom's apron strings, then you may have to walk.

52,280 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Are they from some other country, in other parts of the world, they sometimes live like this, specially in Asian cultures, as far as I know.

If not, I'd say run for the hills.

No, just run for the hills period.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Run far far away

Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM

They're from Korea. They've been in the US since 1992. So I should chalk it up as a cultural difference? But I can't stand a mama's boy!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM

I don't expect him to ditch his family and give me all of his attn. However, even if i wasn't in the picture, a 31 yr old adult living this way is an issue. Any healthy parent-son relationship should allow a grown up son to have his own independent life and grow as a person. He should be able to explore and form relationships with persons of his choice without this kind of influence from his mom. We all leave that behind in high school/college.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luellabz View Post
I don't expect him to ditch his family and give me all of his attn. However, even if i wasn't in the picture, a 31 yr old adult living this way is an issue. Any healthy parent-son relationship should allow a grown up son to have his own independent life and grow as a person. He should be able to explore and form relationships with persons of his choice without this kind of influence from his mom. We all leave that behind in high school/college.
And your job is to worry about your kids ending up like that, not someone else's.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luellabz View Post
They're from Korea. They've been in the US since 1992. So I should chalk it up as a cultural difference? But I can't stand a mama's boy!
hm... Even for cultural differences, this seems extreme. I wonder if there's a Korean-American forum you could post this in, for some inside info. Still, you're right, this isn't workable. He should stick up for you toward his mom, and should turn her down when she demands he run over there to change a lightbulb, and do other trivial chores. Are there any Korean-American couples counselors in your area?

Have you talked to him (calmly) about this being a potential relationship-breaker? Does he know he could lose you over this? I think you and he should have some long, honest talks. Then get back to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships