Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM

142 posts, read 431,883 times

Advertisements

I agree with the PP's that it depends entirely on where you live...

I'm in Chicago, where public transit is excellent and it's commonplace to NOT own a car. I don't own a car (I got rid of mine 2 years ago, and I'm in better physical and financial shape because of it) and it hasn't affected my dating life.

The last couple weeks, I've gone out on 2 dates (same guy) and used public transit both times. First date, we met at a place a couple blocks from an EL station, so I took the train there. He owns a car, so we went and got it afterwards and he drove me home.

Second date, we met up in downtown Chicago after work (halfway between our offices) and took a bus to and from the restaurant. If anything, it made for a good conversation starter, sharing stories of crazy experiences riding the train/bus!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,179 times
I'm from Chicago and I would consider myself a CTA hero. I been using public transportation since ever from going to school to friends houses and going downtown and all my favorite spots.

So if your an area that has good public transportation then I see no issue with meeting a date besides you get the best stories and experiences taking public transportation probably adding more to the date.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
So C-D nation would you have a beef with your date using public transit?
I wouldnt care as long as she's smart, motivated, has a job etc....The more I think about it, it would actually turn me on if she had plenty of money, a license and all the other means to own a car but chose to take public transportation all the time anyway. To me that says she's a little tough/streetwise, not to proud or self conscious and environmentally friendly, all major turn ons for me.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,042,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Unbelievable answers here. No I don't mind at all. I am a huge supporter of PT and weening people off driving to every single corner of a city. If someone has a problem with me pulling out from a bus stop or metro, take your close-minded ass home.
Someone's a sensitive Sally because he doesn't have a car!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
If someone has a problem with me pulling out from a bus stop or metro, take your close-minded ass home.
Definitely. I own a nice car and three motorcycles but I choose to take the lite rail because I dont want to deal with parking at ASU, Diamondbacks Games etc..Sometimes I'll take the lite rail down to Four Peaks Brewery so I dont have to worry about getting a dui on the way home.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,791 times
Definitely an urban centric thread.

In the city centers, of course I wouldn't mind if a guy used public transportation.

If he stepped off a Greyhound 40 miles outside of Tuscaloosa... Well, that would either be the very last time I saw him, or the beginning of a huge adventure

Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,958 times
Depends on your environment...obviously.

The majority of the US has incredibly poor public transport infrastructure, and a relatively low population density (unlike Western/Central Europe where even the smallest village is easily accessible by bus or rail). The third factor working against public transport is the US car culture; automobiles, road trips, and independence are worshiped by Americans.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Depends on where you live...

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Public transit in DC wouldn't bother me. Public transit in Atlanta would be potentially frightening.
Not quite. Rode MARTA daily and it was great. Maybe because it was the North Line. The East Line isn't too bad, because it services Decatur and Avondale Estates. The South Line sees all the conventioneers and tourists because its terminus is the airport. The West Line - well ...

At times, it can be amusing. If ever on a dicey line, I sat in the first car, behind the conductor.

I would hate to imagine what a mess Atlanta would be without MARTA. But that's another thread.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
Six pages deep so whateve's.

I dated a girl once who just moved to DC from FL. She was shocked when I didn't offer to pick her up in a car. I was living in downtown DC at the time. Oy.

And another girl insisted that we both use public transportation when we were planning dates instead of us both driving or having me pick her up.

The point? Every girl has an opinion on how things should go and how you should act. Don't take one's advice as how all your other dates should go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships