Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,958,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Far too much pressure.
Not sure why that feels like pressure. Meet someone. Get to know them, feel them out. Establish some "rules" or at least a common agenda and proceed. Then nobody's confused about if they are in tehe friend zone. The hookup zone or the relationship zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it's actually less pressure. I see people dating who both wait for the other to call because they're not even sure anymore who should call who, and people who "hang out" hoping it means romantic interest on the others' part but never being sure - in the old days it was much more clear cut and easier to know what the rules are, who was really interested, etc.
Yup. Much easier. You cut to the chase if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Why pay more (in your time and money) for something she gives away for free? Even if you attempt to date a woman like that to "get to know her", you feel like a fool, regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Whoa, whoa! "Dating" doesn't have to be about money, as the article mentioned. That has nothing to do with the "pressure" of asking someone on a date. Why would you feel like a fool, just asking her to coffee, or to study together?
Apparently the cost of time not spent hooking up is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,227,011 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Go for the women who don't have other guys banging them. They're around. It's not like you don't have a choice.
mmmm questionable.

I do think there are SOME women that still think that way, but they are not the norm anymore.

Also, in my experience, many of the women that claim to still date traditionally and not hook up are usually not being completely honest.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:33 PM

52,388 posts, read 52,867,207 times
IDK.... I find the "hook up" culture sorta ugly..... It must just be me..... yeah, I know, guys get access to quick easy booty, but there isn't any thrill anymore, at least it what it seems like.

I've been out of the dating/hooking up thing for so long.

Thank god, actually.

If real life is anything like what I read here, I'd probably just go celibate and call it a day...

Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 PM

102,269 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
mmmm questionable.

I do think there are SOME women that still think that way, but they are not the norm anymore.

Also, in my experience, many of the women that claim to still date traditionally and not hook up are usually not being completely honest.
Look, the fact is there are a lot of women in their 20's not dating at all because they're working on getting their career launched, and/or they don't get approached. (I know some.) And these are perfectly attractive women. Not 10's, but attractive. If someone is angry and bitter because of some disappointing experiences (not you), they need to cast a wider net. I can't help but wonder if this problem isn't the result of only choosing "hot" women. Oh, and did I mention that these women who don't have a different guy scheduled to bang her each day of the week are also nice, thoughtful, even sweet? Guys who complain there aren't any good women aren't looking in the right places.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:40 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,227,011 times
Quote:
Look, the fact is there are a lot of women in their 20's not dating at all because they're working on getting their career launched, and/or they don't get approached. (I know some.) And these are perfectly attractive women. Not 10's, but attractive. If someone is angry and bitter because of some disappointing experiences (not you), they need to cast a wider net. I can't help but wonder if this problem isn't the result of only choosing "hot" women.
It depends on one's definition of "hot."

I talk to many girls that certainly wouldn't be classified as hot (most seem to think they are though) and they generally have this attitude.

It's possible that this might be the case because I mostly date girls in their 20s. My experience with older women has been limited to cougars that clearly want to just hook up with a younger guy.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,581,903 times
Quote:
Look, the fact is there are a lot of women in their 20's not dating at all because they're working on getting their career launched, and/or they don't get approached. (I know some.) And these are perfectly attractive women. Not 10's, but attractive. If someone is angry and bitter because of some disappointing experiences (not you), they need to cast a wider net. I can't help but wonder if this problem isn't the result of only choosing "hot" women. Oh, and did I mention that these women who don't have a different guy scheduled to bang her each day of the week are also nice, thoughtful, even sweet? Guys who complain there aren't any good women aren't looking in the right places.
Wouldn't the hook up culture benefit these women so they don't get tied down and interrupt their studies? I'm not a fan of it, but it's not just the hot girls that have jumped ship on being courted.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,954,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Sounds lame and too personal. I believe dating should be fun and not so serious. It's not 1547 anymore.

Balling and shot calling.

If I had a girl I would call her.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM

102,269 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
It depends on one's definition of "hot."

I talk to many girls that certainly wouldn't be classified as hot (most seem to think they are though) and they generally have this attitude..
See, this is another thing. There are plenty of women out there who aren't stuck on themselves. I don't know why you (and other guys here, going by the complaints) keep running into these ego-driven types. As if all of American womanhood of a certain generation (or any generation, going by the complaints on C-D... ) were all cut from the same mold. You can see how ridiculous that idea is, right?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,030,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yes, I read the article. Somebody asked what courting was, and I told what it ment. Courting back in the day was more than just picking up a phone. Please educate yourself. And for the record I'm glad that courting/dating in the traditional sense is dying.

Courtship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Curb your attitude.

In terms of the article in question, that is not what "courting" is.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,165,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Curb your attitude.

In terms of the article in question, that is not what "courting" is.
Well the author of the article is a idiot, becuase that's not what courting is. The person should have used the term traditional dating.

Last edited by 14Bricks; 01-12-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships