Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM

353 posts, read 395,446 times

Advertisements

Prior to relocating to my area, I met a guy from the net and we dated briefly. He seemed like a perfect gentleman (always pulling out my chair, opening doors, paying for nice meals, etc.), but once he found out that I do not believe in pre-marital sex, he sent the following letter to me via email:

Quote:
"This was really, really tough for me but, after giving it a lot of thought over the weekend (to the point that it affected my sleep), I've come to the conclusion that I don't think that a long-term relationship will be feasible between us. I really admire that you have a core set of beliefs that you live by - I'm sure that is a big part on why you are such a wonderful person. Not having sex is not an issue now for me, nor would it be in the immediate future but, at some point, I would like to have an active, healthy sex life as part of a long-term relationship (for a variety of reasons, I cannot see myself getting married within the next 2 years) at this point in my life. Given this conclusion, I think it would be shortsighted of me to proceed into a relationship knowing that there would be a major issue looming.

This realization was especially tough for me because I truly do really like you (I enjoy spending time with you). You have a rare combination of intelligence, a sweet personality, and beauty. You are a genuinely nice person and I would definitely be interested in remaining friends and staying in touch, but I'm not sure about your thoughts on the situation. I'm sorry to deliver this news by email, but I felt like I needed to send this out as soon as I reached a decision. If you'd like to talk about this, we can meet in person or speak over the phone."
At least I learned early on that he wasn't Mr. Right, but this experience left me a little jaded. I want to date, without compromising my values. I'm however discovering that this is a difficult undertaking.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
The last thing you want to do is stop dating. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out but better this than if you went against your principles, had sex, and then found out he didn't want you. You have to keep at it until you find the one that is fine with your decisions...it's not going to be easy to find him but you aren't looking for just anyone.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM

353 posts, read 395,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
The last thing you want to do is stop dating. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out but better this than if you went against your principles, had sex, and then found out he didn't want you. You have to keep at it until you find the one that is fine with your decisions...it's not going to be easy to find him but you aren't looking for just anyone.
Exactly. I'm just amazed that so many guys expect to get sex after only 6 or so dates. What world are they living in? Call me old fashioned, but why would I get physically intimate with someone who hasn't fully committed to me through marriage.

I feel sorry for the women who fall for guys like this. They will more than likely be gone, after they get what they want.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
If you give up on dating, you will have no chance for post-marital sex.

904 posts, read 1,382,362 times
While I don't understand this belief. If it's a core belief you must stick with it.

Sounds like you need to only be dating guys you meet in a church or other religious environment.

264 posts, read 309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
Exactly. I'm just amazed that so many guys expect to get sex after only 6 or so dates. What world are they living in? Call me old fashioned, but why would I get physically intimate with someone who hasn't fully committed to me through marriage.

I feel sorry for the women who fall for guys like this. They will more than likely be gone, after they get what they want.

Yes, clearly you are morally superior and things seem to be working out really well for you.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM

633 posts, read 724,141 times
It is difficult. I also am against pre marital sex. But this guy (we were official for whopping 11 days, dated 2 months) for some reason was able to make me make almost all exceptions to my rule for him.

BIG mistake!!!! I realized I can't continue sleeping with him if he can't commit to me meaning marriage in the future or live together. He does not like both. Then he also does not like I refuse to sleep with him if there is no commitment.

Surprisingly I don't regret being intimate with him. He did not force me anyway and I want it to happen.. More importantly I loved him. Just can't do it regularly without commitment.

I can say though. Maybe you just have not met the right guy yet that you would feel comfortable to be intimate with. This guy has to my surprise made me feel so comfortable with him and he made me feel loved and cared for.. Too bad we don't agree in terms of intimacy in relationships.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post

No. We're married to them.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Big time credit to him for being open and honest with you. Just be patient and wait for someone with the same views on premarital sex that you have.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
He sounds like a caring, well-spoken person, someone many women would like to meet. His letter impresses me.

I don't agree with your principles, but I understand sticking to them. I know some men prize virginity and chastity so it's not a detriment. You just have to fish in a smaller pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships