Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Weird: Man sits down grabs fork and spoon and does air drums.
If any man does this you should obviously date him. Seriously. I'm going to make a point of dating any woman who does this.
This is the mark of a fun personality, not a weirdo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Time and place man.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Creepy: Man mouthes I want you then licks his lips.
I hung out with a lot of musicians over the years and pretty much EVER drummer I know does this on a regular basis... I swear, they all have ADD and HAVE to be drumming on something at all times if they aren't otherwise occupied. One of them kept a pair of drum sticks on his dashboard and when he was waiting at stop lights he would grab them and drum on his steering wheel.

So, I would probably just assume he's a drummer with ADD

As for the OP...
I have labeled men creepy in the past, and it's always been because he did something to make me feel really uncomfortable. You may see it as non-threatening, but we don't actually KNOW these people and I for one am not taking the chance on something happening to me because I needed to give someone a chance. I've been followed through parking lots and touched inappropriately by guys who probably thought they were being flirty and cute. In reality, I thought it was creepy and asked them to stop. Sometimes you just have to walk away though, because sometimes they do not take it well.

It's the sad truth, coming from someone who has been nearly raped and who has been roofied in the past because she let her guard down and 'gave someone a chance'.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I know there have been some threads about women using the word "creepy" to describe some men. And there has been a lot of talk about what is meant be "creepy", about how powerful and hurtful the word "creepy" can be a to a man.

Its also been discussed that "creepy" has really only been used for as wide of a range of behaviors and vibes only within the last 10-15 years or so. And I found some stuff online that confirms what I was thinking, before this time, what is today called "creepy" was just called "weird" 20 years ago or so.

I Think There Is a Difference Between Being Weird and Creepy | Group with Personal Stories, Forums and Chat

And my feelings are that, that the term "weird should be brought back.

Because "creepy" more or less suggested at the least the possibility of actually being dangerous. Which of course can leave a man very hurt and confused about himself when he is anything but. Whereas "weird" simply says " You're odd, I don't understand you, and its a turnoff, but I know you're totally harmless"

And this can obviously describe any behavior that is typical of any late bloomer (even a severely later bloomer).

Obviously there is truly legitimately creepy behavior that sets of red flags, but for everything else that is just odd, but harmless, we should go back to simply saying weird.

What do you think? Do you think this would make a lot more men, be able to specifically address their social skills and improve upon them, rather than wallow in despair and shying away from everything and everyone, because they are afraid they might come across as creepy?
It doesn't matter which term is used. You would just be substituting one word for another. The other word would then develop the same meaning as the first word. Then someone else would be here on this forum saying "Weird is too hurtful! Let's bring back 'creepy'!"

If you approach a lot and you get called creepy every now and then, I wouldn't sweat it. It might just be that particular girl.

If you don't approach much and get called creepy a lot, then you need to evaluate what you're doing. Chances are that you ARE creepy. You need to find out why and how to change it.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Creepy: Man mouthes I want you then licks his lips.
Air drums? Is that what it's called? The same that some guys do without utensils? Yeah, pretty idiotic.

The other one that is stupid, but totally culturally acceptable, is what I call the dry golf swing, which I've seen at chain restaurants in the suburbs and coffeehouses alike. What's that one called? A dry golf swing?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Air drums? Is that what it's called? The same that some guys do without utensils? Yeah, pretty idiotic.

The other one that is stupid, but totally culturally acceptable, is what I call the dry golf swing, which I've seen at chain restaurants in the suburbs and coffeehouses alike. What's that one called? A dry golf swing?
A fake hole in one. Score points for them.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

I'm not sure the name of it, but my boss does it several times daily, almost anytime he wanders into my office.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I know there have been some threads about women using the word "creepy" to describe some men. And there has been a lot of talk about what is meant be "creepy", about how powerful and hurtful the word "creepy" can be a to a man.

Its also been discussed that "creepy" has really only been used for as wide of a range of behaviors and vibes only within the last 10-15 years or so. And I found some stuff online that confirms what I was thinking, before this time, what is today called "creepy" was just called "weird" 20 years ago or so.

I Think There Is a Difference Between Being Weird and Creepy | Group with Personal Stories, Forums and Chat

And my feelings are that, that the term "weird should be brought back.

Because "creepy" more or less suggested at the least the possibility of actually being dangerous. Which of course can leave a man very hurt and confused about himself when he is anything but. Whereas "weird" simply says " You're odd, I don't understand you, and its a turnoff, but I know you're totally harmless"

And this can obviously describe any behavior that is typical of any late bloomer (even a severely later bloomer).

Obviously there is truly legitimately creepy behavior that sets of red flags, but for everything else that is just odd, but harmless, we should go back to simply saying weird.

What do you think? Do you think this would make a lot more men, be able to specifically address their social skills and improve upon them, rather than wallow in despair and shying away from everything and everyone, because they are afraid they might come across as creepy?
Um...you think that terminology has an effect on how men develop social behavior/skills? Seriously?

Nonsense.

That's what I think.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Yeah, as others said, someone has issues
She might or she might not. I think we all have issues of one kind or another. But she also has a damn good point.

Women do have to be situationally aware and on guard against possible danger from males. It's a part of life. And if you ask a lot of women, especially in suburban to urban environments where there are more strangers around, if they have ever felt a sense of possible danger from a guy, or actually been threatened or harmed or something, most will tell you yes.

Are women supposed to just trust random guys they don't know?

I'll tell you right now, just about every father of a girl that I've ever known has brought her up telling her NOT TO TRUST MALES. Including boys at school, strangers, etc etc. If I had a daughter, my husband would make sure she was trained in martial arts to the point that's she'd be like a miniature female Bruce Lee for crying out loud.

So yeah anyhow...that word might be over-used, but seriously plenty of guys really are rather creepy. And in a society where women who get assaulted by creepy guys are often blamed for not successfully avoiding them or defending ourselves against them, or inviting them in some way...I'd say we've got a right to respond to whatever instincts we might have whenever we want.

But the sad fact is, the most dangerous guys really aren't creepy at all. Often when you read about a serial killer, everyone talks about how charming and normal he seemed...

Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I'm not sure the name of it, but my boss does it several times daily, almost anytime he wanders into my office.
I can almost tell you those people are often "walking checklists," from the ones I've known, so pardon the stereotyping. But I'm all for profiling.

Back on topic:
Actually "creepy":"non-creepy" really would be "uncool":"cool" in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships