Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 AM

174 posts, read 258,704 times

Advertisements

How do you keep your relationship alive? I have been with my BD for 5 years now and we have 3 kids together and our relationship is definitely losing spark. Before we had kids we were very in tune with one another and we loved being together. After the first kid we were still a good match. However, when the second kid came along things started fading. Now with the third kid we are basically to the point where we are dried up. I know married people deal with each other for 20+ year but how do they manage to keep the relationship alive especially when kids are involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,781,933 times
Relationships require work. You can't just sit back and hope things are going to be magical. What have you tried? What has he tried?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,306,696 times
3 kids will suck the spark out of a lot relationships. Only people who are truly dedicated and committed (no matter what) will make it through (or those who just ignore their problems).

Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Relationships require work. You can't just sit back and hope things are going to be magical. What have you tried? What has he tried?
Hmm. I think the question is more of what haven't we tried. We have an okay sex life not like the beginning but passable. (bondage, role playing, ect..). Since having kids we don't get to go out much together (we go out separately). We work out together, we do things around the house together (interior design and trying new recipes)

Background

I am a work at home mom and full time student. He works 6 days a week 12 hours a day.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
3 kids will suck the spark out of a lot relationships. Only people who are truly dedicated and committed (no matter what) will make it through (or those who just ignore their problems).
I have tried ignoring it and it definitely does not help.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmommy22 View Post
I was implying that ignoring it is not a positive route to take.

I think what Bio was implying was what have you tried, as in therapy/counselling.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I was implying that ignoring it is not a positive route to take.

I think what Bio was implying was what have you tried, as in therapy/counselling.
Oh okay. No we have not tried therapy/counselling. I have suggested counselling he said it was something he was open to but it never went anywhere. I brought this up after the second kid. Most guys are not open to it but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Oh okay. No we have not tried therapy/counselling. I have suggested counselling he said it was something he was open to but it never went anywhere. I brought this up after the second kid. Most guys are not open to it but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
So it sounds like you haven't tried much of anything. How is your communication? Do you voice your concerns to him and is he receptive? Does he agree there are issues as well?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,386,437 times
Quote:
IMO, "ignoring" is the worst possible therapy.

I also happen to think that always "going out separately" is a problem. Why not have a date night once a week? Also, a periodic vacation (even if just overnight at a local hotel) with just the 2 of you can do wonders. We do that and never leave the room. Do you have family members/babysitters for the kids?

It is important to make time for just the 2 of you - away from the kids, away from the demands of the house.

Also, it helps to be goofy and happy and creative with every day life (sometimes hard to do if you're not wired that way, some must make more of a conscious effort). This is what my hubby taught me. Home life doesn't need to be all serious and tedious. IMO it should be filled with joy and laughter and completely irrational and spontaneous behavior, like silly dancing while the dishes and laundry pile up. This life attitude keeps the sparks flying.

Sometimes it helps to minimize the value of some of those boring household chores - I mean the dirty laundry's not going anywhere. So I say try to live every moment to its fullest and most joyous. And that tends to be contagious.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,878,333 times
Quote:
How do you keep your relationship alive? I have been with my BD for 5 years now and we have 3 kids together and our relationship is definitely losing spark. Before we had kids we were very in tune with one another and we loved being together. After the first kid we were still a good match. However, when the second kid came along things started fading. Now with the third kid we are basically to the point where we are dried up. I know married people deal with each other for 20+ year but how do they manage to keep the relationship alive especially when kids are involved?
This is 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships