Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times

Advertisements

I want to make this short, as I don't probably have the whole story.
I met someone who is trying to start dating again.
She has 19 month old child. The ink just dried on the divorce papers (about 12 year marriage). She is civil with ex, even though he cheated (i'm sure it is for the baby sake)
I dont know custody situation exactly, but the baby stays with mom most of the time. Dad gets baby every couple weeks for 2 days.
Here's the rub, the dad takes the baby almost every day for a few hours almost every single morning during the week. I don't know if this is a permanent situation, but I would imagine with the father of the baby coming over every day, it might be difficult for the baby's mother to have a relationship ?
Any guy she dates will have to awkwardly see the babys father EVERY time he spends the night.
The babys father has a girlfriend already (woman he cheated with), and the babys mother never really sees her.

Is this arrangement of the father coming over every day normal? I have never heard of this, but I guess it may be more common than I realize.
Also, babys mom works 9-5ish from home, and babys dad is a cop, working 3pm-11pm hours.
The babys mom has family around for help and support, but it seems for the most part, she utilizes them rarely for babysitting.

I would like to stay away from the obvious observation that this may be messy for dating, and focus on divorced parents who have had similair arrangement and had success dating, or failed dating.

I see this having the potential of going all kinds of wrong for ME, dealing with ex who is cop, and constantly in the picture.
So far this woman seems like someone absolutely worth getting to know more. As everything about her has been honest, open, and on display.

I have never seen an arrangement where the non custody parent is around so frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Every arrangement is different. I know several dads who have full custody of their child/children. Also my aunt was only allowed supervised visitation for one weekend a month with her kids.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I don't know if this arrangment is normal or strange, but I suspect this is not the real problem in your relationship.
Through my own failed past experiences, I have come up with a simple conclusion that we cannot change how others act or treat us, we can only change the ways we react to these treatments.

If you have some doubts and think the current arrangement is bothersome, bring up the issue to the person you date, you have two choices, either put up with it, or move on. There is nothing in between.

good luck to you

p.s. The single father dude I dated might be a mom's boy, one thing he was very good at is setting clear boundaries with his ex. His ex can only text him regarding their child, she cannot drop in uninvited, she cannot call him just to chitchat. I have to give him plenty of credits for doing this (clear boundaries). IN this regard, he is a very decent man.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I want to make this short, as I don't probably have the whole story.
I met someone who is trying to start dating again.
She has 19 month old child. The ink just dried on the divorce papers (about 12 year marriage). She is civil with ex, even though he cheated (i'm sure it is for the baby sake)
I dont know custody situation exactly, but the baby stays with mom most of the time. Dad gets baby every couple weeks for 2 days.
Here's the rub, the dad takes the baby almost every day for a few hours almost every single morning during the week. I don't know if this is a permanent situation, but I would imagine with the father of the baby coming over every day, it might be difficult for the baby's mother to have a relationship ?
Any guy she dates will have to awkwardly see the babys father EVERY time he spends the night.
The babys father has a girlfriend already (woman he cheated with), and the babys mother never really sees her.

Is this arrangement of the father coming over every day normal? I have never heard of this, but I guess it may be more common than I realize.
Also, babys mom works 9-5ish from home, and babys dad is a cop, working 3pm-11pm hours.
The babys mom has family around for help and support, but it seems for the most part, she utilizes them rarely for babysitting.

I would like to stay away from the obvious observation that this may be messy for dating, and focus on divorced parents who have had similair arrangement and had success dating, or failed dating.

I see this having the potential of going all kinds of wrong for ME, dealing with ex who is cop, and constantly in the picture.
So far this woman seems like someone absolutely worth getting to know more. As everything about her has been honest, open, and on display.

I have never seen an arrangement where the non custody parent is around so frequently.
I personally think it's great he's around so often but this is coming from a girl who would settle for no less than joint custody. A child needs their father in their life if he's a good one. This is exactly why I wouldn't date anyone seriously until my youngest was 18. Honestly she shouldn't be bringing dates home to spend the night unless the relationship is super serious anyway but that just my opinion.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Every arrangement is different. I know several dads who have full custody of their child/children. Also my aunt was only allowed supervised visitation for one weekend a month with her kids.
Wow. She must have screwed up pretty badly for that to have happened.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. She must have screwed up pretty badly for that to have happened.
They were both pretty screwed up. He just presents better than she does.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I personally think it's great he's around so often but this is coming from a girl who would settle for no less than joint custody. A child needs their father in their life if he's a good one. This is exactly why I wouldn't date anyone seriously until my youngest was 18. Honestly she shouldn't be bringing dates home to spend the night unless the relationship is super serious anyway but that just my opinion.
I agree. But it will happen at some point, with some guy. And I am sure many single moms have people spend the night. But maybe they get a sitter for overnight duty, and the mom stays at the guys place ?
Now that I think about it, moms probably go home, and spending the night isnt an option usually... (?)

I have mostly dated childless women, so this is all new to me.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM

well, are you okay with the current arrangment "the ex comes to her house almost every single day?"

If you are okay with it, I guess there will no need for discussion. If you are not okay with it, bringing it up to your girlfriend.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
If the mother is fine with him taking the child, I don't think it matters how uncomfortable it makes you feel. I'm going to guess the ex (the cop) works nights right now and it benefits both the mom and dad for him to take the child in the morning.
I would just keep my mouth shut.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
If the mother is fine with him taking the child, I don't think it matters how uncomfortable it makes you feel. I'm going to guess the ex (the cop) works nights right now and it benefits both the mom and dad for him to take the child in the morning.
I would just keep my mouth shut.

wow! so you don't think op has any say so in this weird arrangement?! If op becomes the husband, the ex will just pop up everyday like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships