Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip999 View Post
Bingo! If you're mostly projecting money, you are going to attract that type of women.

You need to find another interest and try meeting women based on that interest. Hiking, biking...etc what else do you like besides money? Salsa dancing maybe?

I'm a huge fan of jazz. Actually wanted to hit up a few local jazz clubs. Though the city I live in isn't great for real jazz. The jazz clubs mix a lot of R & B with the jazz performances. I actually am a fan of real jazz though.

I use to play video games, but interest in it has waned over the past few months, or since I moved to Seattle. I also use to write and draw, but have done neither in years. Most of my time either goes into work, or learning about investing. So it's no mystery that's what I talk about the most.

I'm also just more of a city person. I don't like hiking or boating. The best times of my life have been spent in a concrete jungle. That's my natural habitat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And here we are, back at Square One. The OP, on a recent thread of his, received lots of good, potentially productive suggestions like this, including getting involved with charities on the organizational side, as someone else posted here. What the OP needs to do is put some thought into what activities he would find enjoyable, and select a few (one group sports activity, perhaps one dance activity (swing, salsa, etc.) or potential hobby (cooking, etc.), explore charities in his area and choose one, and study conferences and associations related to his profession (there are so many IT techs where he lives! It's Microsoft's home turf, for God's sake!), and DO SOMETHING to improve his prospects. Come up with an Action Plan, and implement it.

Too often we have people posting about how they can't meet women, or not the kind of women they're interested in, and people give them pages of suggestions, but nothing happens. Then they come back to start more threads to vent. Enough with the venting already. It's time to take responsibility for your situation, and take concrete steps to make the changes that will bring about the results you want to see.

Your future is in your hands, OP. Are you going to let it slip through your fingers, while you post here to b**** and moan, or are you going to take control?

I'm going to give up dating for awhile. I have way too many unresolved trust issues, and I think unless I resolve those, I'll continue to have relationship problems. 10 years of the same ol stuff is definitely a wakeup call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm actually quite money driven, and I talk a lot about finance. I also express my desire to start my own business, and even chat quite a lot about business models in different environments I've worked with. I talk about other things to, but I generally listen to women talk on dates. If ask I express my interest. I'm quite fond of the concept of money, one of my primary interest, so it dominates most of my conversation.
This would bore the hell out of me on a date. And I'm an accountant.

I agree with the others. You're in a new city. The NW is gorgeous (when it's not raining). Take some time to explore it. Now might be a really good time to reinvent yourself-try out a few new hobbies and see if you like any of them.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
This would bore the hell out of me on a date. And I'm an accountant.
Come to think of it, of all the accountants I know, none of them talk about money over 20% of the time. They tend to talk about everything under the sun and are fairly normal.

As far as money goes, I like to talk about how much things cost, primarily houses, but that's "over the backyard fence" chatter. But talking about money the way an investment guru might would probably be annoying.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm going to give up dating for awhile. I have way too many unresolved trust issues, and I think unless I resolve those, I'll continue to have relationship problems. 10 years of the same ol stuff is definitely a wakeup call.
Sounds good, OP. Also: taking time to nurture some of your creative interests, like the writing or drawing (I'm sure there are classes through the UW, even UW Bothell), or trying something new, would help you present diverse interests. Writing or drawing might be prove cathartic for you. It sounds like you've been very single-minded for a long time.

My impression was that the greater Seattle area wasn't big on jazz. Seattle only had one jazz club when I was there, and it was a very small establishment. The NW can be limiting, in some ways.

Good luck! Drop us a line if you make a breakthrough.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds good, OP. Also: taking time to nurture some of your creative interests, like the writing or drawing (I'm sure there are classes through the UW, even UW Bothell), or trying something new, would help you present diverse interests. Writing or drawing might be prove cathartic for you. It sounds like you've been very single-minded for a long time.

My impression was that the greater Seattle area wasn't big on jazz. Seattle only had one jazz club when I was there, and it was a very small establishment. The NW can be limiting, in some ways.

Good luck! Drop us a line if you make a breakthrough.
Good call on that one. UW Bothell is a nice, new "extension" campus on the Eastside, with many courses at night. He can meet women in language classes or other cultural interest classes as "non-matriculated"

I had a nasty experience there. I was sitting next to some chick at a computer. I heard her talking on her phone. When she hung up, I asked her "What language is that?" She was surly and said "I'm Russsshian," as she finished up. I felt like telling her where she could go, but I knew there is an undercurrent of an Eastern European mob in the PacNW cities, so I thought I'd let it go.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I had a nasty experience there. I was sitting next to some chick at a computer. I heard her talking on her phone. When she hung up, I asked her "What language is that?" She was surly and said "I'm Russsshian,"
I know exactly the type you mean. The Russians that come into the US these days, especially the younger ones, are nothing like the Russians I grew up with in the Bay Area. I've never heard anything about the "Russian mob" in the Seattle area, though. Personally, I think the US hands out immigrant visas a bit too casually, especially to E Europeans. Criminal types, including petty criminals and alcoholics (it's illegal to give visas to those categories) do get through.

P.S. Definitely, UW Bothell, for the OP. Anything to avoid the commute into Seattle and the UW!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
OP, I have similar interests and I also often have problems NOT talking about money. I am very good with money without having too much and have come across sometimes as if I want somebody else to pay my bills, but that was never intended.

I grew up with very money concerned parents and it is just in my blood. I handle money well, like to talk about it and make the most out of every Cent. Many Americans are not like that.

I never say 'I don't know how to pay ..." but I might say "if that ... breaks down, i might have to cancel my vacation plans". Some people might think I want their money, but I am just venting.

I know it is difficult for somebody like you (and me) to have a normal conversation with people and just talk about sports for example - I would immediately bring money into the conversation like "I wonder how much this sports person earns" etc.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM

181 posts, read 192,294 times
OP,

If you like Jazz, you should check out Lucid Jazz Loung in U District. I love the music and the general atmosphere there

Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM

I actualyl work in Bothell, and pass by the UW Bothell Campus on my way to work every day. I'll try to price some classes. I wouldn't mind picking up Portugues or Russian. Portuguese first, since I'm a big Bosa Nova fan. It would be interesting to actually know what they're singing about. lol

Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
OP, I have similar interests and I also often have problems NOT talking about money. I am very good with money without having too much and have come across sometimes as if I want somebody else to pay my bills, but that was never intended.

I grew up with very money concerned parents and it is just in my blood. I handle money well, like to talk about it and make the most out of every Cent. Many Americans are not like that.

I never say 'I don't know how to pay ..." but I might say "if that ... breaks down, i might have to cancel my vacation plans". Some people might think I want their money, but I am just venting.

I know it is difficult for somebody like you (and me) to have a normal conversation with people and just talk about sports for example - I would immediately bring money into the conversation like "I wonder how much this sports person earns" etc.
Well, I don't want to make it sound like I have a one track mind. While money is my primary concern, I do take interest in other things. I take interest in politics as well, but of course part of what draws to politics is money. I could care less about most political issues except fiscal issues. I really don't like talking politics on a date, and I don't like people talking to me about them.

I'm heavily into technologytoo, but that's stuff you don't really want to spend your date talking about. Also history, linguistics, etc.

I have a ton of interst, but not really something you talk about on a date.

I do take an interest in city's and architechures. Part of what brought me to this website. But most people don't want to talk about different city's, but there are some who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships