Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,356 times

Advertisements

I just broke up with my girlfriend. She lied to me about 2 male friends that she did have sexual relationships with before me. Th major problem, one is a married friend. She said this was not my business as it was before me. I snooped to get the truth as her story didnt match up.

I argued that because he was still in her life, I deserved the truth. What happens if this guys wife finds out and I get the surprise down the road? My ex was bothered by her affair and had shame, but I found her attitude to be selfish.

On top if this, she was in contact with ex-boyfriends who would still flirt with her. I felt it was disrespectful to me.

How do you handle ex's and what are your rules/boundaries with your partner's exes? Is it ok if your partner hangs out alone with their ex? Also, what if your partner lied about their past with an opposite sex friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
This is all kind of moot since you broke up with the girl. For the record though, I think you did the right thing. This girl sounds like more trouble than she's worth.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucktie215 View Post
On top if this, she was in contact with ex-boyfriends who would still flirt with her. I felt it was disrespectful to me.
Not her fault how other people act

Quote:
I just broke up with my girlfriend. She lied to me about 2 male friends that she did have sexual relationships with before me. Th major problem, one is a married friend. She said this was not my business as it was before me. I snooped to get the truth as her story didnt match up.

I argued that because he was still in her life, I deserved the truth. What happens if this guys wife finds out and I get the surprise down the road? My ex was bothered by her affair and had shame, but I found her attitude to be selfish.

How do you handle ex's and what are your rules/boundaries with your partner's exes? Is it ok if your partner hangs out alone with their ex? Also, what if your partner lied about their past with an opposite sex friend?
The lying is the problem. Not the past relationships.

I'd be much more concerned about dating someone who had terrible relationships with all their exes than I would about dating someone who had good relationships with their exes

Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Friends with ex's can be messy. For this reason, some people don't like it when their current s/o remains friends with ex's. Sounds like in the OP's situation, his s/o being friends with ex's is a bad thing. Some people handle it responsibly.
There are so many threads on this concept. It would make sense to do a search in this forum on this topic.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I'm friends with most of my exs. My current guy is fine with it.

I hang out with them in groups and alone. In fact, I share a house with an ex. No problem.

I wouldn't be with someone who made a big deal of it. You either trust me or you don't.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
I honestly wouldn't care that much, as long as they were platonic. I'd be a little careful at first though, because I'd still sleep with any of my exes, so I assume similar with other people until I see differently.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM

It's interesting some of the women don't mention the lying being a problem!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucktie215 View Post

I think she has a point, anything/anyone before you really is none of your business. I can understand her not wanting to admit to an affair, and I can also understand not wanting to share sexual details of the past w/ a current partner. I don't know that I would personally go so far as to lie about it though...

What happened, you go through her email or something?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
I personally don't think she should even have to be in a position to lie about it because it shouldn't be something talked about.

What she did before you isn't your business.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM

I met her one "friend" who is married. He would text late at night which is odd for a married man. She would mention him a little too much. I've never been a jealous person, but know how guys operate.

I had asked about this guy and the answers didnt add up. One night he texted her while she was asleep, I read it. I didn't have to look far to find sexting right before me. I told her what I did and asked for the truth. She said they just texted and there was no affair. I left it at that and accepted her answers.

Months go by and this guy still bothers me. Her best girl friend slips and tells me it was just a physical relationship, not love. She thought I knew the full truth. We hung out with this scumbag and his wife. I didn't want to smile while holding hands with an adulterer in front of the unknowing wife.

I said if this guy was in your past, it's not my business. Since I was brought into their dynamic, I deserve to be let in to the truth if there is nothing there. Am I supposed to get a surpise one day when his wife finds out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships