Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,240,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
It's funny because I know I would be a good wife. If I met the right guy, I would reconsider my stance on marriage for myself. I think it's all about meeting the right person, wanting the marriage to that person to work, and putting in the effort (because you know it's worth it).

I also think people with positive views on relationships in general are likely to be more successful in marriage when it comes down to it. Some people are self fulfilling prophecies, good and bad. I would never be attracted to a guy who was so bitter towards marriage.
I guess that's why I find it so hard to understand where all this hatred is coming from. I believe in love. I believe in happy marriages. I believe in happy families. I believed these things were always a possibility for me. These weren't my main goals - but I always welcomed them. If I had only wanted to be married for the sake of being married - I would have married my first boyfriend. Or my ex-fiance. Or someone else. But even if it wasn't the path I wanted to take - I still wouldn't HATE it.

There are other things in life that people do that I don't see myself doing - but I don't hate those things. They just aren't for me.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,688,477 times
Lightbulb And I'll Just Add On Here, If I May

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
First of all, it's the truth as he sees it.
And second of all, why the heck would people not have the balls to say something on the GD anonymous internet?!!!! Wth?
A quote from a favorite movie of mine '48 Hours'...I've used it here before, and it applies again in this situation, to wit:

"Just because YOU say somethin' with conviction, it don't mean s**t to me!"

As in, you can quote jackleg statistics, pull up all the old polls you want, and quote as many bitter-beer drinking hack-a** whiny bloggers you want, but in the end I don't have to accept the BS they spout as anything approaching gospel, or truth...are you (expletive) kiddin' me?

And if you step to me running your mouth and lip flapping about why YOU think marriage sucks, well, I'll do one of two things: I'll tell you that your experience ain't the same as mine, and I enjoy being married to my wife...or if I'm in a somewhat surly mood that day, I'll be blunt and tell you to go (expletive) off and whine to somebody else about that mess...and I've been feeling somewhat surly quite a lot lately

Old 02-08-2013, 03:01 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,043,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I guess that's why I find it so hard to understand where all this hatred is coming from. I believe in love. I believe in happy marriages. I believe in happy families. I believed these things were always a possibility for me. These weren't my main goals - but I always welcomed them. If I had only wanted to be married for the sake of being married - I would have married my first boyfriend. Or my ex-fiance. Or someone else. But even if it wasn't the path I wanted to take - I still wouldn't HATE it.

There are other things in life that people do that I don't see myself doing - but I don't hate those things. They just aren't for me.
Good question. I don't get it either. Who is it hurting?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,546,528 times
You know, I do have to say one thing.
People shouldn't be into marriage or want marriage for marriage itself.
You should want to marry because you met someone you want to be with forever.

It shouldn't be a blind hatred of the institution itself. But it shouldn't be blindly wanting to be married for the sake of being married, either.

5,472 posts, read 7,624,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
A quote from a favorite movie of mine '48 Hours'...I've used it here before, and it applies again in this situation, to wit:

"Just because YOU say somethin' with conviction, it don't mean s**t to me!"

As in, you can quote jackleg statistics, pull up all the old polls you want, and quote as many bitter-beer drinking hack-a** whiny bloggers you want, but in the end I don't have to accept the BS they spout as anything approaching gospel, or truth...are you (expletive) kiddin' me?

And if you step to me running your mouth and lip flapping about why YOU think marriage sucks, well, I'll do one of two things: I'll tell you that your experience ain't the same as mine, and I enjoy being married to my wife...or if I'm in a somewhat surly mood that day, I'll be blunt and tell you to go (expletive) off and whine to somebody else about that mess...and I've been feeling somewhat surly quite a lot lately
If you were blunt and direct, like every man should be, we wouldnt see the passive aggresivness of disagreeing with me through replying to others. Its quite alright, this world needs the feminine men too.

11,864 posts, read 17,043,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
My mom got married 50 years ago. Gender dynamics as well as social expectations were completely different back then and people took marriage vows seriously. Apples and oranges, my friend (ex-friend booooo.)
But she exists.

Why are you blaming all women for changes in social expectations? You are indirectly blaming me and I am much more traditional. I have nothing to do with the changes.

Are you wanting a woman who will pick up your dirty socks for you when you mindlessly throw them on the floor?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,711,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, I do have to say one thing.
People shouldn't be into marriage or want marriage for marriage itself.
You should want to marry because you met someone you want to be with forever.

It shouldn't be a blind hatred of the institution itself. But it shouldn't be blindly wanting to be married for the sake of being married, either.
Hogwash

Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,546,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Hogwash
Elaborate

Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,771,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Ascension is the Chris rock of our board IMO. He says what were all thinking deep down but many don't have the balls to say.

The vast majority of what he says is the truth, whether you choose to accept it or not is your business
Wow, that's sad. If he's your idol you have major issues.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,771,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
If you were blunt and direct, like every man should be, we wouldnt see the passive aggresivness of disagreeing with me through replying to others. Its quite alright, this world needs the feminine men too.
And here I was thinking you were a hateful women basher. Now I realize you're just a hateful, nasty person all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships