Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
I probably shouldn't tell this story, but I will. After my Match membership expired six months ago, I get a wink from someone I had emailed before - a teacher. I had an inkling this was someone from Match trying to "cold call", if you will, but you always give it the benefit of the doubt because when I wrote my email she might not have been a member. So I winked back. I get another wink back. I wink a second time ... match tells me "ERRRRRR" ... can't do that, you already winked.

I knew something was up (how come I get to give her only one wink and she gets to give me two) and that it was probably initiated from Match in order to squeeze more money out of me. So I found her picture online, found out where she works and emailed her. I know what you're going to say --- STALKER!!!

I told the story to the women from the office and they laughed at me, but I didn't care - I wasn't going to let match jerk me around.

No success with that, by the way.
Was she legit? I had someone on Match email me right after my membership expired who fit exactly what I wanted. I renewed (bad mistake)only to contact him and no response. I think it was them trying to get me to renew.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,453,188 times
Quote:
I knew something was up (how come I get to give her only one wink and she gets to give me two) and that it was probably initiated from Match in order to squeeze more money out of me.
I wouldn't be surprised. After my subscription expired, I got a wink from someone. So my friend and I used her account to look at his profile and send him a message letting him know I was no longer an active subscriber and gave him my e-mail address. He replied to her my username didn't show up as someone he winked at.

Curiosity got the best of me when I received an e-mail and I signed up for another month. It showed all the men who'd looked at my profile while I was inactive. Sure enough, the guy who supposedly winked at me wasn't one of them. I pulled up his profile, winked at him and got the canned "thanks, but no thanks" response in return. A little over a year later, I'm back on there (what's the definition of insanity again? lol) and saw the guy who sent the e-mail is still on there. We exchange a few e-mails last time but it was apparent pretty quickly he wasn't interested.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. After my subscription expired, I got a wink from someone. So my friend and I used her account to look at his profile and send him a message letting him know I was no longer an active subscriber and gave him my e-mail address. He replied to her my username didn't show up as someone he winked at.

Curiosity got the best of me when I received an e-mail and I signed up for another month. It showed all the men who'd looked at my profile while I was inactive. Sure enough, the guy who supposedly winked at me wasn't one of them. I pulled up his profile, winked at him and got the canned "thanks, but no thanks" response in return. A little over a year later, I'm back on there (what's the definition of insanity again? lol) and saw the guy who sent the e-mail is still on there. We exchange a few e-mails last time but it was apparent pretty quickly he wasn't interested.
I got several winks from guys and one supposedly sent a message. I emailed him back and got the thanks but no thanks. I remember this one because he lived by me and fit what I desired and was so excited someone like him contacted me.

Looks like I can't even see who messaged me unless I subscribe to Match and I don't want to do that unless it's guys I really want.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:02 PM

333 posts, read 310,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Was she legit? I had someone on Match email me right after my membership expired who fit exactly what I wanted. I renewed (bad mistake)only to contact him and no response. I think it was them trying to get me to renew.
Yes she is legit. One of the pictures was taken in an spot I know is here in town, and she is on POF. I'm pretty sure it was someone at "Mission Control" trying to generate some additional revenue out of me. I contacted her at her work email, never heard back. I even contacted her again after signing up again. Dead air. Match tries to scam you as much as some of the Nigerians do. I'm convinced it was them.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post

The same EXACT thing happened to me. My 6 months expired and I was done with it. I kept getting e mails saying people winked, messaged, or looked at my profile and I went ahead and paid only a months worth to see who they were.

None of them really peaked my interest, and I cannot say that it was Match doing it. One week later my SO winked at me and thats all she wrote. Very glad I bought that one last month!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I got several winks from guys and one supposedly sent a message. I emailed him back and got the thanks but no thanks. I remember this one because he lived by me and fit what I desired and was so excited someone like him contacted me.

Looks like I can't even see who messaged me unless I subscribe to Match and I don't want to do that unless it's guys I really want.
How are you gonna know unless you do it?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
This is true, I think lying about ones age is a big deal. Well, I have a problem with lying about anything, but thats just me.
I don't like lying myself, especially if there is too much being misrepresented. I would question everything.

That said, I've seen women dial down their ages and in the first paragraph of their profile they are upfront with that and said they only dialed down their age so they wouldn't get left out of searches. I'm okay with that.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
I have over 50 guys saved me as their favorite. But nobody really wrote anything to me. They all winked at me, that is it. I found that to be a little bit of a turn off.

I don't see the point of WINKING at somebody without writing her something nice. I tone down my description, afraid my self portrait would be too long winged and I also delete couple of my photos (I posted about 20 pictures) I still get winks but no messages (emails)

I am wondering if these men are a little afraid of rejection, even though I wrote on my profile "If you write me something, I will certainly reply. "

The "thanks but no thanks" Is such an ego crush. That is exactly why I don't wink anybody, and if they wink at me, as long as he is not overly obnoxious, I won't say thanks but no thanks. I don't understand why match even has this feature. It is kind of hurtful.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have over 50 guys saved me as their favorite. But nobody really wrote anything to me. They all winked at me, that is it. I found that to be a little bit of a turn off.

I don't see the point of WINKING at somebody without writing her something nice. I tone down my description, afraid my self portrait would be too long winged and I also delete couple of my photos (I posted about 20 pictures) I still get winks but no messages (emails)

I am wondering if these men are a little afraid of rejection, even though I wrote on my profile "If you write me something, I will certainly reply. "

The "thanks but no thanks" Is such an ego crush. That is exactly why I don't wink anybody, and if they wink at me, as long as he is not overly obnoxious, I won't say thanks but no thanks. I don't understand why match even has this feature. It is kind of hurtful.
You have to remember that most people on match are not paid subscribers. I've read as much as 90%. I think the idea behind winks is that you wink and they wink back. It is the only way to communicate unless you see them on one of the free sites. If someone is interested enough, they might pay. But again, we all know that match manipulates those winks to get money out of you.

My understanding about "favorites" is that women consider it cheesy. From a guy's perspective, most guys are only using that feature as a bookmark though and not as some coy way of showing interest.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
You have to remember that most people on match are not paid subscribers. I've read as much as 90%. I think the idea behind winks is that you wink and they wink back. It is the only way to communicate unless you see them on one of the free sites. If someone is interested enough, they might pay. But again, we all know that match manipulates those winks to get money out of you.

My understanding about "favorites" is that women consider it cheesy. From a guy's perspective, most guys are only using that feature as a bookmark though and not as some coy way of showing interest.
I asked a guy who favorite me why did he not write anything, he simply said that he did not think I would be available. So I don't know..

I never favorite anybody simply because I did not want to give any men a big faux ego boost. If I found an interesting enough profile, I'd write something (without winking) I paid the regular fee, and I will be only there for one month, I have to say that one month supply is enough for me

well my membership started 5 days ago, I have already had at least 7 potential dates. Problem is that I set my expectations way too high, I need to have realistic expectations. Online dating is so fun. I don't know about others, but I think match.com is a great place meeting singles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.