Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 AM

494 posts, read 1,918,773 times

Advertisements

If you were getting married and given the following:

your spouse to be had a very insignificant net worth compared to yours, say $5000 compared you your $250,000

your spouse to be made half your income, say you made $120,000/yr and they made $60,000/yr

AND your fiance has already indicated that they will not sign a pre-nup would you:

a) still go through with the marriage?
b) keep your pre-marital assets separate? what would you do if your spouse to be got offended that you were not co-mingling your existing net worth and thought it was distrustful to keep separate money?

Also, due to their almost zero net worth would you be ok bearing the full costs of the wedding (would you downsize it since you were the sole bearer of the expenses?) and also the full cost of the honeymoon and POSSIBLY the bulk of the downpayment on any home you would buy together since they would not be able to contribute towards that. This is also in addition to buying the engagement ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,217,976 times
I didn't have as much money as you do, but I went through with the marriage and paid for the wedding and honeymoon. We both agreed that that we should keep separate bank accounts until he was out of debt and finished with school.

When we divorced, we were both grown-ups about it, and agreed that we'd leave the marriage with what we came into it. Also, as I bought the furniture, it was mine, as well. But, see, my ex and I were friends for well over a year before we even started dating, so we had that friend-respect going on again once we separated. We never bought real estate, though.

I suggest that you don't spend a ton of money on a wedding, and that you stand your ground if she starts talking about inviting a ton of people.

I think pre-nups are b.s. For one thing, they're not all that enforceable. For another, as someone stated in another thread, if you move to a different state, that may render them void.

If you don't trust that your fiance isn't going to work you over, I suggest you don't get married.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,677,623 times
idk, it's money, who cares?
i'd like our kids to be brought up well, and for our retirement to be comfortable...but beyond that, money doesn't matter to me much.
and no, if she were much poorer than i am (as if that's possible...) it wouldn't be too much of a big deal, though she'd need to expect to work in some capacity, especially if there are no kids...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM

39,263 posts, read 27,666,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
If you were getting married and given the following:

your spouse to be had a very insignificant net worth compared to yours, say $5000 compared you your $250,000

your spouse to be made half your income, say you made $120,000/yr and they made $60,000/yr

AND your fiance has already indicated that they will not sign a pre-nup would you:

a) still go through with the marriage?
b) keep your pre-marital assets separate? what would you do if your spouse to be got offended that you were not co-mingling your existing net worth and thought it was distrustful to keep separate money?

Also, due to their almost zero net worth would you be ok bearing the full costs of the wedding (would you downsize it since you were the sole bearer of the expenses?) and also the full cost of the honeymoon and POSSIBLY the bulk of the downpayment on any home you would buy together since they would not be able to contribute towards that. This is also in addition to buying the engagement ring.
If you are having second thoughts and doubts about becoming married, it is better to call the wedding off than having to deal with the heartache of divorce a few years later.

You posted "and your fiance has already indicated that they will not sign a pre-nup", assuming you wanted one. This will be a major red flag. This is not a prenup debate, this is a "why does the fiance have to call all the shots" discussion. Why is there no middle ground? Why do you NOT have any say-so in the financial planning of your marriage?

If you realize that there are red flags or problematic issues in your relationship, don't ignore them or delude yourself into thinking that the red flags aren't that important or that someone you love will change. It does take more than love to have a successful marriage.

Understanding that the only constant in life is change, the right person is willing to discuss marriage issues, questions, and topics with you both before and after you get married.

You seem to be a very grounded, successful, logical person. Do not rush into things. Think it through and make a decision that will benefit you and your fiance in the LONG run.

I wish you all the luck in life.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,482,641 times
I completely agree with lilyflower's excellent comments and advice.

While money isn't everything, it's certainly important, and one of the major issues and problems in marriage - and divorce, should that ever happen.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,308,792 times
I wouldn't marry someone who wouldn't sign a prenup.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM

494 posts, read 1,918,773 times
obviously nobody wants to get divorced and that is not the train of thought when one wants to get married but what is scary is this:

The higher earning spouse has to pay alimony to the other. What makes this unfair is that it completely takes all the choices of the person to move on with his life and it is essentially slavery. After the divorce what if I am not well and can't work? What if I choose another profession that pays significantly less? What if I want to retire? (assuming children are grown up) From what I gather the court can take "earning ability" which it equates to the average income over your career and mandate that you pay based on that future income so you can't even quit your job...you are forced to work? That is absolutely insane in my opinion.

Also, the argument that the marital standard of living needs to be preserved for the lower earning spouse does not make much sense at all. Married people enjoy a much higher standard of living due to much higher joint income and sharing of resources, when people divorce not only a lot of their net worth is lost but also the joint income and the ability to share resources such as housing. This results in a much lower standard of living for both. Now, why is there a mandate that there should be alimony from the higher earning spouse to maintain the lower earning spouses "marital standard of living"? This defies logic.

If the person you were going to marry once said "When I get pregnant my husband would have to do do everything around the house...yeah, I am going to milk that situation", what would you make of that statement? I am not sure if it was said in jest? Is it worth discussing this because it will invariably result in a huge fight I think.

BTW, what do you consider is not a lot of money on a wedding and a ring?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,196,850 times
To me, it all comes down to trust. I trust my husband 100% so money is not an issue. I trust that we will work through our problems together and I trust that if heaven forbid we should not be able to work things out - both of us are good people and would wish each other no lasting harm.

I know people say that people divorce over money - but that is a symptom and not the problem.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 AM

657 posts, read 717,772 times
money is the root of all evil. and either the lack of or love of it destroys every relationship.

Don't marry someone who loves money more then you.

consider yourself single, quick

good luck

Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,217,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
obviously nobody wants to get divorced and that is not the train of thought when one wants to get married but what is scary is this:

The higher earning spouse has to pay alimony to the other. What makes this unfair is that it completely takes all the choices of the person to move on with his life and it is essentially slavery. After the divorce what if I am not well and can't work? What if I choose another profession that pays significantly less? What if I want to retire? (assuming children are grown up) From what I gather the court can take "earning ability" which it equates to the average income over your career and mandate that you pay based on that future income so you can't even quit your job...you are forced to work? That is absolutely insane in my opinion.

Also, the argument that the marital standard of living needs to be preserved for the lower earning spouse does not make much sense at all. Married people enjoy a much higher standard of living due to much higher joint income and sharing of resources, when people divorce not only a lot of their net worth is lost but also the joint income and the ability to share resources such as housing. This results in a much lower standard of living for both. Now, why is there a mandate that there should be alimony from the higher earning spouse to maintain the lower earning spouses "marital standard of living"? This defies logic.

If the person you were going to marry once said "When I get pregnant my husband would have to do do everything around the house...yeah, I am going to milk that situation", what would you make of that statement? I am not sure if it was said in jest? Is it worth discussing this because it will invariably result in a huge fight I think.

BTW, what do you consider is not a lot of money on a wedding and a ring?
No, that's not necessarily true about the alimony. Plenty of divorces, such as mine, where there was none, and it wasn't even discussed--or I'd be the one paying it! (Maybe. I think a judge would have nixed it had my ex tried.) None of my divorced siblings ever received alimony, either. Child support, yes, as both parents have a financial responsibility to their kids. But not alimony. Your fiancee has already shown that she can support herself. There are plenty of threads about alimony on here. I suggest you read them.

Regarding the rest, sure I can respond to your questions, but the fact is that you seem to be having serious doubts about your fiancee's intentions. How can you not know her well enough to tell whether she's kidding around about "milking the situation" when she's pregnant? Or what is and is not a lot of money to spend on a ring and wedding? No offense, but you should have known all of this long before proposing.

You really don't sound like you are ready for marriage at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships