Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM

181 posts, read 444,757 times

Advertisements

I've been with my girlfriend for almost 18 months now and have started living together for at least a month. For a while my parents wanted to meet her family but my girlfriend's mother thinks it's the most ridiculous thing ever because we're not engaged or anything. My girlfriend doesn't really have a father because he was a deadbeat loser so I think her mom would feel awkward in front of my parents , who have been married for 35+ years. But still, is this something you only do after getting engaged or would it be the end of the world if they all met before we got engaged? we are both 24, if that means anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
In all of my dating relationships, I met the parents and he met mine, starting at age 16.

And now that I've learned to read....I'd say by 18 months into the relationship, no reason for parents not to have met. You don't have to have get-togethers like you were already family, but there's no reason not to meet at all. After 18 months, is the relationship headed somewhere more serious/lasting?

My mom met SO's parents after we'd been dating about 7 months. My dad passed away in that timeframe before, so on occasions/holidays, not only was I included but my mom too.

Last edited by Katnan; 03-04-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Yeah, I'm surprised that after 18 months you haven't met each others parents yet. If you all don't live in the same area, that's one thing, but it's no big deal to informally introduce them if they're visiting or whatever.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
You're talking about her parents meeting your parents, not you meeting her parents correct?

I wouldn't worry about introducing them. A lot of related by marriage families dont see each other or spend much time together.

I've been with my bf for over 3 years. His parents have only met mine once and that was out of coincidence.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM

181 posts, read 444,757 times
Well I met her family within the first month just like she met my family in the first month. It's really along the lines of my parents meeting her mother/grandparents that I'm curious about.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
Well I met her family within the first month just like she met my family in the first month. It's really along the lines of my parents meeting her mother/grandparents that I'm curious about.
Like I said above, I wouldn't worry about her parents meeting your parents. Concentrate on your relationship not the relationship your families have with each other-in the long run its not that important.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
It varies. My parents met my now sister in law's parents early on because they started dating in high school and were friends for years before that. Because they met before either could drive it involved having a parent driving one of them to the other's house. I already know the family of the guy I am interested in and he knows my parents so a bit different too. My mom spoke to the mother of one of my exes on the phone when dating (we both still lived at home)but I don't remember them having any contact with any of my exes parents but probably would have if I moved in with them or got engaged. Come to think of it I moved in with someone and my parents never met his parents and neither did I.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Doesn't sound like her mother wants to meet your folks until after. I wouldn't press the issue. But, be aware this may be a sign of future difficulties.
I personally would have no problem meeting the parents of my son's girlfriend of 18 months...Her mother sounds a bit difficult.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Your living together. If it's not hugely inconvenient - like peopel living in different parts of the country, it seems odd that the parents haven't met each other. Your possible future MIL sounds a little odd.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Only if there's a serious, serious commitment. Then it's a nice thing to arrange. Because it isn't just two people joining together. It's two families.

When MrsCPG and I announced our engagement, my mother hosted my prospective in-laws for dinner. I had returned from New Zealand nine months earlier and given my mother a sheepskin run for Christmas.

My mother-in-law remarked, "Oh, that looks like the softest rug ever," and proceeded to lay down on the run and roll around on the rug before my horrified fiancee. My mother took it all in stride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships