Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:17 PM

239 posts, read 895,120 times

Advertisements

One of the hardest things my husband has to face in our relationship is the differences between our families. My family likes to yell and scream at each other and tend to be quite loud. There is no manners in my family. We are aburpt and rude to each other and don't really like each other much.

My husband has the perfect family. They hug and kiss each other and say they love each other all the time and mean it. They communicate all the time. They send pictures over the Internet and have a family blog. If something good happens to one of them all will express an interest. The family communicates well.

So which family do you like best? Your family or your spouses family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Both. Of course we both have the usual 1 or 2 undesirables, but I like both. We all get along great.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:21 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
I adopted my SO's family. Mine are all deceased except for some random cousins I never knew anyway and I most recently got back in touch with my closest cousin and my aunt. She was always my favorite anyway and when my very controlling grandmother (her mom) was alive, no one really had any good relationships.
So, when I met my SO's Mom, I just adored her; still do. She's an amazing woman, great personality and she's someone I greatly respect. We all have a good relationship. In fact, she's coming up for our settlement on the new house! I talk to my cousin about once or twice a month and when he comes this way for a family visit he's going to be staying at our house for a couple of days. We do say we love each other at the end of our calls because we used to be really close as kids but had a long absence due to location, and mostly my g-ma. I do love my cousin and my aunt though for sure and they know it.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
I'd like something in between--one which shows their love but isn't afraid to show their true feelings when something's bothering them, one which can speak their mind without screaming and yelling. There are no perfect families. There's always something someone doesn't want to be made known--something maybe even they won't talk about.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:31 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
My family is loud and talks a lot. We laugh a lot at the dinner table. My spouses family is boring. They don't joke around, they don't laugh they don't say one freaking word at dinner. They are nutso.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Our family is kind of like the op's family, except that we do like each other. But we are loud, we have political and economical debates at the table (which usually result in raised voices), but we love this and we love discussing things. We also get very personal and can have intimate conversations about anything.
Her is...well, I should say that hers seems more light, they joke around some, but it's pretty tame, I have never heard anyone really address anything serious or confront another about their problem (it's all very hands off)...if my family had some of the issues theirs did, you bet everyone would be in everyone else's face about it.

Who do I like better? I like the civility and consistency of her family better.
But I like the intimacy and openness of my family better.
Frankly, her family is hard to bond with because they never really open up about anything.

The good thing about both families is that love and support is there.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
The differences in my family and my exes is actually one of the big things that caused us to part ways. My family is VERY loud, we curse, we yell and we're all very opinionated. Of course, we all love each other like crazy and are constantly laughing at one another.

My exes family is very quiet. He's an only child and his parents are both yoga hippies who seem to always be in a meditative state. Even at dinners they're very soft spoken and calm, which is nice.... I'm just not used to it.

I loved hanging out with his family (I can be quiet sometimes, I swear!!) but after the first 2 or so years, he refused to hang out with mine because they 'embarrassed' him and made him uncomfortable. That's one thing that I probably won't compromise on in a relationship... you need to at least make an effort to like my family and I will do the same to yours.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
My in-laws don't speak English...cuts down on the ol' forced chatter and awkward questions.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,325,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
One of the hardest things my husband has to face in our relationship is the differences between our families. My family likes to yell and scream at each other and tend to be quite loud. There is no manners in my family. We are aburpt and rude to each other and don't really like each other much.

My husband has the perfect family. They hug and kiss each other and say they love each other all the time and mean it. They communicate all the time. They send pictures over the Internet and have a family blog. If something good happens to one of them all will express an interest. The family communicates well.

So which family do you like best? Your family or your spouses family?
I used to like my spouse's family but since the death of his mother, they really get on my nerves. However, I will take them any day over having to deal with my circus of relatives.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
My in-laws don't speak English...cuts down on the ol' forced chatter and awkward questions.
Did you buy yourself a Russian bride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships