Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven999 View Post
Hey guys, I could use some advise please.

I'm going to ask my girlfriend of 3 years to marry me. We have booked a trip to Disney (her favorite place) in early May and I want to do it there. I've been working overtime and weekends to save up for this and I want everything to go well. I just don't know the things I need to do leading up to it.

I'm going to start looking for a ring this weekend. How long does it usually take to find the right ring? I know the style of ring she wants and I know her size.

How much would be a good ring cost? I love her and want her to have a good ring.

Do I need to ask her father for permission to marry her? They are very close but I'm not sure if that's something people actually do or just something I see in the movies.

Flying to Disney with the ring. Where should I hide it?

Sorry if the questions are stupid. I don't have any real life experience or examples (dont have much of a family) from others with this sort of thing.

Thank you
The wedding ring is usually a plain gold band, it's not something to get worked up about. I'm surprised more men don't know this--we actually had a thread recently about what a wedding ring should cost. It's not the wedding ring, it's the engagement ring that's the big splurge. How big a diamond can you afford, is often the question, as well as the overall design. You're aware that you have to buy two rings, right? When you propose, it's the engagement ring that you present her with. Then, if the engagement works out and you make it to the wedding planning stage intact, you both shop together for matching wedding bands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM

190 posts, read 391,885 times
As a hopeless romantic woman (I know, very cliche'), I love this stuff! I'd say, yes, ask her father. Especially since the two are close and she's probably (like many of us) "daddy's little girl". If you already get along well with her parents, her dad will not be shocked when you ask and will most likely be expecting the day to come when you do speak to him about the future. Chances are, he'd have a real hard time saying no to someone he knows his daughter loves and who loves his daughter.
The ring: don't overdo on the ring. If she loves you, the size of the ring will not matter. The fact that you pick it out yourself and it comes from your heart will mean more to her than the ring itself. Stick to your comfortable budget.
The proposal at Disney: Very romantic and I agree with others; contact Disney Customer Service. They love this stuff and I'm sure will be more than willing to help. Perhaps they'll suggest something at Cinderella's Castle or in a horse-drawn carriage along the Main Street Parade route. In any case, I'm sure she will remember it always.
Good luck with your plans and proposal! And, by all means, let us know when she says yes!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 AM

26 posts, read 55,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missesthebeaches View Post
As a hopeless romantic woman (I know, very cliche'), I love this stuff! I'd say, yes, ask her father. Especially since the two are close and she's probably (like many of us) "daddy's little girl". If you already get along well with her parents, her dad will not be shocked when you ask and will most likely be expecting the day to come when you do speak to him about the future. Chances are, he'd have a real hard time saying no to someone he knows his daughter loves and who loves his daughter.
The ring: don't overdo on the ring. If she loves you, the size of the ring will not matter. The fact that you pick it out yourself and it comes from your heart will mean more to her than the ring itself. Stick to your comfortable budget.
The proposal at Disney: Very romantic and I agree with others; contact Disney Customer Service. They love this stuff and I'm sure will be more than willing to help. Perhaps they'll suggest something at Cinderella's Castle or in a horse-drawn carriage along the Main Street Parade route. In any case, I'm sure she will remember it always.
Good luck with your plans and proposal! And, by all means, let us know when she says yes!
I will definitely let you guys know what's happening. I plan on asking her Father this weekend on his birthday and finding the ring next week. I'm still very nervous about bringing the ring to Disney. I would love to do it there I just hope nothing gets ruined by her finding it in my bag when packing or something with airport security. I feel like I should just do it before we go, but it wouldn't be as memorable.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Congrats! Answers below (as best as I can make them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven999 View Post
Hey guys, I could use some advise please.

I'm going to ask my girlfriend of 3 years to marry me. We have booked a trip to Disney (her favorite place) in early May and I want to do it there. I've been working overtime and weekends to save up for this and I want everything to go well. I just don't know the things I need to do leading up to it.

I'm going to start looking for a ring this weekend. How long does it usually take to find the right ring? I know the style of ring she wants and I know her size.
Depends. If the ring you want needs to be ordered, could take a couple weeks. If you find something they have in stock, a couple days for them to mount the stone, etc.

[/quote]How much would be a good ring cost? I love her and want her to have a good ring.[/quote]

A "good" ring is the one you give her. Period. It's not based on cost. Now, the cost can vary greatly depending on the metal, the size, clarity, etc of the diamond. HAVE A BUDGET IN MIND and don't let the jewelers upsell you to something you cannot afford.

Also, do you have an idea of her ring style. When my now wife and I were talking about the prospects of marriage, she spent a lot of time showing me examples of styles she liked, so that I had some idea in mind. She didn't want to know if and when I bought it or what it was, but in this process she fell in love with one and highly encouraged me to get that one, right there. So we did. I didn't give it to her right away and still surprised her with a formal proposal. You don't have to go to that extent, but get a feel for what she likes in jewelry at the minimum.

Quote:
Do I need to ask her father for permission to marry her? They are very close but I'm not sure if that's something people actually do or just something I see in the movies.
Personal preference I would say. Traditionally it was likely customary but not a requirement. It is her decision, not his. To show my father-in-law respect, I let him know my intent to propse beforehand, and asked him more for his blessing than his persmission.

Quote:
Flying to Disney with the ring. Where should I hide it?
Obviously in something she won't be going thru. Do not check it!!! Carry it on! If you have a seperate camera or laptop bag, put it in there. After you go through security, you can leave it if she has no reason to be in the bag, or go into a men's room and transfer it to your person.

Quote:
Sorry if the questions are stupid. I don't have any real life experience or examples (dont have much of a family) from others with this sort of thing.

Thank you

There is no wrong ring, price, or process in general. You know her and her family best, and need to rely on that knowledge for this process.

Also, as was mentioned, I hope this has been sort of a topic which you two have discussed and want for yourselves and future. Having a total surprise proposal can sound fun and romantic, unless that's not exactly her plans!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
I have no advice. I just think this thread is super sweet. Good luck!!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I've been thinking. When I go through the metal detector with my ring on and it doesn't set it off. I'd just keep it protected in a pocket. If you get wanded and they want to see it, let them know what it is and pull it out discreetly. Keep a coin handy in your coat or even the same pocket, so if she asks you can show her the coin you "forgot" to remove from your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships