Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 03:10 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

I cannot imagine myself being with anyone who would have a problem with me getting a tattoo if I wanted it. I can't even imagine if I didn't already have them, being with such a person, because that would imply a mindset that would be fundamentally incompatible with my own.

That said, I am only talking about the part of the equation where I'm doing what I want to do, to my own body.

When it comes to money, and spending large amounts of it, I'd expect we'd have a conversation, about whether we can afford it at that point, and what other possible things might be sacrificed in the process of spending a big chunk of change on a new tattoo, because they are not cheap (or rather, I don't go for cheap tattoos.) The reason I haven't gotten any new ink in quite some time and likely won't in the foreseeable future, is that I have other financial goals that are more important to me.

But even if I had the money of my own to spend and no reason not to, I would still discuss the matter with my fiance before doing it. Not because I need permission, but because we discuss everything. I'd take his opinion into consideration, because I love him and his opinions matter to me.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:23 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
An opinion is fine, but ultimately each person should be able to decide as to whether to get a tattoo or not.

And I am laughing at those who are saying that tattoos make women look 'trashy'. I love my tattoos and have never been called anything because I have them.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 693 times
Usually in a relationship if one person does not agree with something that impacts both people then they might reach a compromise or find something that both can agree on. If one person is adamantly against something then I think it's in the best interest of the relationship (if that is ultimately what is most important to both people) to not move forward with that topic of disagreement. If that topic includes something permanent like a tattoo then the level of mutual consideration must be respected along with the potential impact to the relationship. Of course some will make an argument that everyone can do with their body whatever they want, including getting a tattoo. But stopping with that statement doesn't consider how it may impact a relationship. While a person gets a tattoo for a reason, in many cases the tattoo isn't there so that person can see it, it's there so other people can see it. And in most cases the person who will see that tattoo more than anyone else will be their significant other. This may make it extremely difficult for their significant other if they have made it clear that they, for whatever reason, do not like tattoos. That level of dislike can have an impact to the relationship but unlike a behavior that might be able to change or be modified, a tattoo cannot. That tattoo will be a constant reminder of how their mate totally or a least partially ignored their feelings and went ahead with it anyway. That is how resentment can start. If that does lead to resentment then the act of getting the tattoo may cause long lasting and irreparable damage to the relationship. That resentment does not have to be explicit but can be underlying and can affect other aspects of the relationship.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 693 times
If one wants to be more self-centered then go ahead, and get the tattoo, and suffer the consequences because there will be consequences. If the success of the relationship is ultimately the highest priority then there would be no tattoos.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:28 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
An opinion is fine, but ultimately each person should be able to decide as to whether to get a tattoo or not.

And I am laughing at those who are saying that tattoos make women look 'trashy'. I love my tattoos and have never been called anything because I have them.
This 100%, all of it.

BTW mine is 23 years old, is very big all over my stomach and hip and upper thigh and still looks amazing. So to all these people why say they stretch and look ugly - they only stretch and look ugly if you get fat but then your stomach will look ugly with or without art on it.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:12 PM

290 posts, read 164,761 times
Skin naturally sags over time so the thought that tats look ugly as a person gets older has some merit in a way but as the last poster says fatness makes a body look ugly and not tattoos. I am not a fan but I don't think id have a massive issue with it as long as the chick isn't covered in them. Kind of tattoos the size etc. Not a fan. But I do think couples should discuss it with each other if either is thinking of getting one.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:12 AM

600 posts, read 255,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let455_ View Post
Skin naturally sags over time so the thought that tats look ugly as a person gets older has some merit in a way but as the last poster says fatness makes a body look ugly and not tattoos. I am not a fan but I don't think id have a massive issue with it as long as the chick isn't covered in them. Kind of tattoos the size etc. Not a fan. But I do think couples should discuss it with each other if either is thinking of getting one.
People have a tendency to become unattractive as they grow older. Even Hugh Jackman these days doesn't look like a hunk anymore, even if he keeps his Wolverwine workout routine, his skin is still pretty aged, lucky for him he has still kept his hairline going.

Having a tattoo won't make the aging woman or man unattractive in itself. It's mostly someone who isn't attractive to begin with becoming unattractive because of the effects of old age.

I've met women in their 60s and 70s who got a tattoo(or several) when they were in their early 20s, and honestly it doesn't look that bad at all.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:44 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk33 View Post
If one wants to be more self-centered then go ahead, and get the tattoo, and suffer the consequences because there will be consequences. If the success of the relationship is ultimately the highest priority then there would be no tattoos.

You forgot to add "For me and my situation, because I'm the boss."

Old 07-27-2020, 01:17 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Unless it's a guy in a very popular rock band, I've never been a fan of tattoos on either gender.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:52 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,927 times
What benefit does tattoos even give you? It’s such a silly fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships