Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 02:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
What benefit does tattoos even give you? It’s such a silly fad.
What benefit does wearing jewelry give you? Or coloring one's hair? Or wearing hand sewn clothes? (It's not because it saves you money, I can tell you that.) It's a form of self expression. And it's hardly a fad. Tattoos have been around for...I don't know...a couple of thousand years?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:45 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Neither my wife or I have any tattoos. I don't like them and think they are ugly and have to assume that in 20 years when the tattoo fad is over many of the young people getting tattoos today will feel really silly when their tattoos look all stretched out and ugly.

I always assumed my wife did not like tattoos either but recently she has been planning on getting a number of large tattoos. I told her what I thought but she says it is her body and she can do what she pleases. But I told her it will hurt our sex life because I find tattoos ugly, especially large ones. She says that is silly and her having tattoos or not should not impact how I see her sexually or value her attractiveness.

Please, lets not have this about the pros and cons of tattoos, there is a million postings about this, but instead, lets answer this question: Should a spouse have a say if their wife or husband gets tattoos?

I did a very small cursive tattoo under my breast that my fiance liked before I had it done....cause it was kinda for him. I wouldn't have done it if he hated all tattoos or didn't think it was sexy. I do have a tiny one on my wrist that I had before I met him. I'm thinking of doing my other wrist with his last name in cursive.

IMO...why would anybody want to go through with something that they know is a turn off to their spouse? Shouldn't ppl be trying to be more attractive to their significant other........& not less?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:48 PM

947 posts, read 1,187,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
What benefit does wearing jewelry give you? Or coloring one's hair? Or wearing hand sewn clothes? (It's not because it saves you money, I can tell you that.) It's a form of self expression. And it's hardly a fad. Tattoos have been around for...I don't know...a couple of thousand years?
Tattoos have existed for thousands of years, but they’ve only been mainstream for a few decades.

So it’s self-expression....that’s it? You can do that without something being branded on you permanently.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:53 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Well, I'm OK with 'em if they consist of the emblem of the branch of the armed services from which you were honorably discharged. Otherwise, not so much.

At any rate, if you get a tattoo and your spouse doesn't want you to, you can expect to hear about it forever. So decide wisely.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:41 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
A spouse might not have a say in their spouse's body, but they might have a say in if they want to stay with them. Some still find tattoos as the symbolic epitome of sleaziness and tawdriness. Freedom to have tattoos is matched by freedom to separate.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:49 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Tattoos have existed for thousands of years, but they’ve only been mainstream for a few decades.

So it’s self-expression....that’s it? You can do that without something being branded on you permanently.
Since the 70s in certain areas of the US... that's a fairly long time and around here it is fairly common.

Permanent, everlasting, enduring is part of that self expression....

For me it depends on the tattoos... if it is haphazard with no real form of self expression as if it was done at the moment with no real thought/meaning then to me it reflects a person's impulsivity. On the other hand, a well done well thought out reflection of the individual shows thoughtfulness and self expression.

Some of the most beautiful (and I'm not saying outward physical appearance) people I've had the honor of meeting have tattoos.... both small and large.

I still stand by my earlier post... However i find it so interesting that between the person getting the tattoo and the person breaking a relationship, maybe one that is so good in all other ways, due to a tattoo, its the one that gets a tattoo that garners so much criticism.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:41 AM

600 posts, read 255,830 times
These days, it's becoming nearly impossible to come across middle-aged men and women who don't have a tattoo. The millennials are the biggest fans of tattoos, and what's becoming increasingly more rare is to meet people who only have one tattoo. Everyone who works at my local supermarket has not one, but 5 or more tattoos.

Surpsingly enough it's the young people (18-25) who seem to either have no interest in tattoos, or can't afford them. If a guy is picky about a woman having tattoos, he might as well join a convent.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:40 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helw View Post
These days, it's becoming nearly impossible to come across middle-aged men and women who don't have a tattoo. The millennials are the biggest fans of tattoos, and what's becoming increasingly more rare is to meet people who only have one tattoo. Everyone who works at my local supermarket has not one, but 5 or more tattoos.

Surpsingly enough it's the young people (18-25) who seem to either have no interest in tattoos, or can't afford them. If a guy is picky about a woman having tattoos, he might as well join a convent.
I was born in 1968.

I work at the fuel center for a major grocery store chain.

I do not have any tattoos.

I am not interested in joining a convent.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 AM

947 posts, read 1,187,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Since the 70s in certain areas of the US... that's a fairly long time and around here it is fairly common.

Permanent, everlasting, enduring is part of that self expression....

For me it depends on the tattoos... if it is haphazard with no real form of self expression as if it was done at the moment with no real thought/meaning then to me it reflects a person's impulsivity. On the other hand, a well done well thought out reflection of the individual shows thoughtfulness and self expression.

Some of the most beautiful (and I'm not saying outward physical appearance) people I've had the honor of meeting have tattoos.... both small and large.

I still stand by my earlier post... However i find it so interesting that between the person getting the tattoo and the person breaking a relationship, maybe one that is so good in all other ways, due to a tattoo, its the one that gets a tattoo that garners so much criticism.
Well, I don’t think tattoos is even the main point of the topic. Violation of a spouse’s wishes, seems to be the deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helw View Post

It’s amazing that males are suddenly bad guys when they have standards.

I’m a millenial with zero tattoos. We complain about being trapped in student debt, yet my fellow gen Y comrades spend willfully on luxuries.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:50 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:

But some people WANT the permanency of it. Yes, self expression.

And something being mainstream for a few decades belies it being a fad. Pet rocks were a fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships