Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

I tend not to go by pictures when I'm online dating. More than once, I have gone in with low expectations about a guy's looks based on his pictures and then had him turn out to be totally hot! One dude I didn't even recognize when I got to the restaurant (after previously thinking he looked like an axe murderer in his profile), and another one was still kinda meh, but his personality sucked me in almost immediately and turned the "meh" into exceptionally magnetic attraction. By contrast, guys that I have thought were fairly attractive based on their photos have turned out to be decidedly unappealing (although my opinion may have been influenced by my initial impression of their personality).

For me, the photos are basically there to confirm that they're not morbidly obese and - given that I often have trouble recognizing faces - ensuring that I don't glance right over them when I enter the building. On OKCupid I tend not to even consider anyone below 85% compatibility these days, no matter how goodlooking they are in their photo. And if the profile resonates with me, they have to be pretty damn unappealing in their photos for me to dismiss them.

Of course, most of my photos tend to be disastrous. My colleagues in the art department of my company get frustrated when they try to take photos of me because the outcome usually doesn't look anything like me.

Anyone else come to think that the photos in online profiles aren't all that helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Anyone else come to think that the photos in online profiles aren't all that helpful?
I'd imagine that people would tend to put their best photos on line.

Though, that doesn't seem to jive with your experience

Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Sometimes I think my photo online is way overselling me.
Though it doesn't matter, the online thing...I'm not sure I'll ever get into it.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Though it doesn't matter, the online thing...I'm not sure I'll ever get into it.
He/She says on an online discussion forum

Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM

766 posts, read 1,658,664 times
From what I have experienced so far I agree. My first online date, the guy looked like the picture but had gained some weight. He was also a little shorter than he said. His face was the same, but in person he just wasn't as cute.

I met a guy yesterday and he far exceeded his pictures. His pics on POF were just okay, weird angles, etc. I could tell he had a great body. I asked him to send me some close ups and he asked me to go to his FB page. On FB he was cute, but in person he looked was hotter than hot!!

Not all guys post there best pictures....If those are there best I don't know what to say. I have seen tons of strange expressions, weird bathroom shots, crazy looking pics.

I did see 2 guys I actually know offline on POF and they really did represent themselves well. Their pictures were exactly how they normally look.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'd imagine that people would tend to put their best photos on line.

Though, that doesn't seem to jive with your experience
Even my best pictures usually don't look all that appealing. I remember one of the first online date I went on, the guy opened the door to his house (totally unsafe that I met him there, but whatever - I was in my early 20s and very naive) and literally gasped. He spent a good chunk of the night telling me that I was much prettier than my pictures indicated - it was like he thought he'd hit some kind of jackpot. I guess I could have found a way to take offense about that, but he was right about my photos. Of course, I think there is a certain strategic value in having less attractive pictures - it's more likely the guy is interested in me because of our compatibility.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:48 AM

968 posts, read 1,138,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I tend not to go by pictures when I'm online dating. More than once, I have gone in with low expectations about a guy's looks based on his pictures and then had him turn out to be totally hot! One dude I didn't even recognize when I got to the restaurant (after previously thinking he looked like an axe murderer in his profile), and another one was still kinda meh, but his personality sucked me in almost immediately and turned the "meh" into exceptionally magnetic attraction. By contrast, guys that I have thought were fairly attractive based on their photos have turned out to be decidedly unappealing (although my opinion may have been influenced by my initial impression of their personality).

For me, the photos are basically there to confirm that they're not morbidly obese and - given that I often have trouble recognizing faces - ensuring that I don't glance right over them when I enter the building. On OKCupid I tend not to even consider anyone below 85% compatibility these days, no matter how goodlooking they are in their photo. And if the profile resonates with me, they have to be pretty damn unappealing in their photos for me to dismiss them.

Of course, most of my photos tend to be disastrous. My colleagues in the art department of my company get frustrated when they try to take photos of me because the outcome usually doesn't look anything like me.

Mine always are. I always take them when I look like hell. In my, or parts of my uniform, not always clean shaven, sometimes after work etc.. It only gets better....I clean up well.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
I shouldn`t laugh but can`t help it!
My EX was talking with this girl from China for 6 months, so decided to go see her for a week, just to find that she was 40 lbs. heavier than she looked in the pic she sent him, besides being bossy, and a b*tch!!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
years ago on match.com I put a picture up of a dog licking himself, with a caption, " I need to get out more"

and surprisingly, i got some good responses

they said it made them laugh and thats what they were looking for

Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Pictures can tell you all you need to know.

Duck face
Bar scenes
Red Dixie cups
Gangsta signs
Chest and neck tattoos
Pictures with a toilet and dirty laundry in the background.

Avoid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships