Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM

33 posts, read 49,870 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is a natural athlete, she's been involved in some form of martial arts since she was a little
girl and recently has taken up boxing. Not the aerobic boxing, mind you, but a hard core boxing gym.
She joined for the exercise but started getting good at it and has started lessons. She spars with a guy who
I would not want to THINK about getting into a ring with and she holds her own! She's even getting better while he stays at the same level.

If you saw her on the street, you would have no idea. She is 5'4, 120 and she looks like any other
woman, petite, fit but not overly fit and she looks harmless. By contrast, I am 6'5 230. I work out but I
am not near her level. I am certainly stronger but she would easily kick my butt in a fight. Not that we ever would but it's just a strange place to realize that my girlfriend is better at defending herself or us as a couple than I am. Maybe I am old fashioned, from the world where a man is supposed to protect a woman. I'm no wimp and I wouldn't hesitate to protect her, the simple reality is that she is much better at it. Even if I took lessons and trained, she's been doing this most of her life and she's a natural at it.

She's fine with it, she never intended to meet a guy to protect her anyway. She gets how it's a little strange for me to get used to especially when everyone assumes that SHE is lucky to have such a big guy around!
To people who don't know us, she jokes and says she's my bodyguard and they see this petite 5'4 blonde... they have NO idea!!

I always assumed that my height and size would carry me through any situation. I never got in many fights
because people just left me alone and I never went looking for trouble. Now I know differently.
She had a phase when she was younger and her parents were getting divorced where she got in a lot of
fights, against men and women. Her toughest opponents were actually a skinny guy who tried to rip off her purse and another girl who was her size who was drunk! She says the big, scary looking guys were the easiest to fight, they would get sloppy once they realized they might get their butts kicked by this little blonde in front of a crowd and their friends!

I'm fine with it now, I'm happy for her. She's a sweet woman who happens to know how to fight if she
needs to. It will take her a lot to resort to it these days, unlike when she was in college but it's
nice to know she can handle herself if needed.

So, any other guys out there with a girlfriend or wife who can fight better than you?
Any women who could fight better than the man in their lives?

Was it no big deal or a little strange to get used to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,270 times
Where I come from women know how to fight or least know there way around a knife if they have to defend themselves.

If my girlfriend or wife knew how to fight better than me I could careless I can carry my own just fine so me and her would just be Tag Team Champions of the World.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,388 times
There are no 5' 4 120 lbs women that could beat up a 6' 5 230 lb male who wasn't fat.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,549 times
Big deal...just don't get insecure and be happy.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,404 times
This is like saying Kelly Grippa could tackle Michael Strahan. Illogical. You're doing something wrong, especially if engaging in contests like this that don't even lead to sex!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,258 times
That's pretty hot.

I practice Muay Thai and used to practice Karate. If I met a girl who could kick my butt that would be a turn on.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 PM

31,013 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
There are no 5' 4 120 lbs women that could beat up a 6' 5 230 lb male who wasn't fat.
For sure. He would have to be as uncoordinated as they come. I remember seeing Charles Barkley have an over sized glove boxing match with a Light weight world champion boxer. The proffessional boxer did not stand a chance.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,270 times
Well obviously those women MMA fighters are probably better than me but I won't lose sleep over it.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,946,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherwinsRamblings View Post
My girlfriend is a natural athlete, she's been involved in some form of martial arts since she was a little
girl and recently has taken up boxing. Not the aerobic boxing, mind you, but a hard core boxing gym.
She joined for the exercise but started getting good at it and has started lessons. She spars with a guy who
I would not want to THINK about getting into a ring with and she holds her own! She's even getting better while he stays at the same level.

If you saw her on the street, you would have no idea. She is 5'4, 120 and she looks like any other
woman, petite, fit but not overly fit and she looks harmless. By contrast, I am 6'5 230. I work out but I
am not near her level. I am certainly stronger but she would easily kick my butt in a fight. Not that we ever would but it's just a strange place to realize that my girlfriend is better at defending herself or us as a couple than I am. Maybe I am old fashioned, from the world where a man is supposed to protect a woman. I'm no wimp and I wouldn't hesitate to protect her, the simple reality is that she is much better at it. Even if I took lessons and trained, she's been doing this most of her life and she's a natural at it.

She's fine with it, she never intended to meet a guy to protect her anyway. She gets how it's a little strange for me to get used to especially when everyone assumes that SHE is lucky to have such a big guy around!
To people who don't know us, she jokes and says she's my bodyguard and they see this petite 5'4 blonde... they have NO idea!!

I always assumed that my height and size would carry me through any situation. I never got in many fights
because people just left me alone and I never went looking for trouble. Now I know differently.
She had a phase when she was younger and her parents were getting divorced where she got in a lot of
fights, against men and women. Her toughest opponents were actually a skinny guy who tried to rip off her purse and another girl who was her size who was drunk! She says the big, scary looking guys were the easiest to fight, they would get sloppy once they realized they might get their butts kicked by this little blonde in front of a crowd and their friends!

I'm fine with it now, I'm happy for her. She's a sweet woman who happens to know how to fight if she
needs to. It will take her a lot to resort to it these days, unlike when she was in college but it's

So, any other guys out there with a girlfriend or wife who can fight better than you?

Hmmm...

Well, after her head spins around twice they usually run away.

So I can't say I actually seen her fight.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,344,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherwinsRamblings View Post

I can see how the bigger men are easier to fight. They don't fight much.

I try not to let it bother me. I'd just show some respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships