Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,288,216 times

Advertisements

One thing everyone has to realize about online dating is the ability to write someone off very quickly. Mainly due to the ease of messaging someone else. If someone didn't have so many options at their fingertips, they would spend more time getting to know someone and not be so quick to cut off contact. Someone like who you dealt with is looking for the ultimate specimen, but likely can't bring 1/4 of what that guy brings to the table. It's better to find out how she is now than find out how she is later. Cut your losses and move on, since the only way you can apologize is by basically begging, for which she will have little to no respect for you. You are actually in a lose lose situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,757,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Hope yall both wasn't texting while at home. That would be really odd
Why?

Last edited by leadingedge04; 04-05-2013 at 08:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Eh, cut your losses and be glad you see this behavior now. Your comments would have not bothered me at all because I would have taken it as a joke/sarcasm.

This is the type of girl you will need to walk on eggshells with. Do you really want to go there?
Exactly. No humor at all. You are better off spending your dating money elsewhere.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Why?

because if you met face to face and clicked then why not chat on the phone and set up another date?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,748,591 times
Everyone texts these days. Well most. Nothing odd about it. I like texting because it allows me to carry on a conversation at my own pace. I can stop and go take care of the dog or whatever, different than a phone call entirely. In fact, I really only use phone calls these days for quick things like "Hey let's meet tomorrow at 2, ok? Ok, bye!" Much preferred over phone calls for me.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Everyone texts these days. Well most. Nothing odd about it. I like texting because it allows me to carry on a conversation at my own pace. I can stop and go take care of the dog or whatever, different than a phone call entirely. In fact, I really only use phone calls these days for quick things like "Hey let's meet tomorrow at 2, ok? Ok, bye!" Much preferred over phone calls for me.

And that's why the OP struggled to make the girl laugh because it was over text.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,170,527 times
dont apologize and go graveling to some woman you never even met.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 AM

11,809 posts, read 12,047,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I think it is entirely okay for her to assume you might be dating numerous women and maybe thinking you are a player. When accused, everybody denies. No one should talk about dating others, or joke about dating others because you don't know how it might be perceived. Some people like to brag about their popularity.

She might feel she has no chance with you because you are dating others. I joked about guys when on a date with someone and he never called me back. I pretty much figured out that was the reason he never called again. It was a stupid mistake.

I agree with this. No one likes to be made to feel less special in that moment, by being reminded you have other dates/options.

However, I think the comment about having to cut back on work hours to date was hilarious!! Too bad she missed the humour, but such is what happens in written form without facial expression or tone.

Texting was meant for a brief exchange of information, not as the primary means to get to know someone. I think it's a shame technology has advanced so much that people think speaking to someone is a waste of time, and would rather typed words be their main connection.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Exhibit A as to why texting is the single most idiotic and terrible way to get to know someone.

Pick up the damn phone, geez.
I'd even go as far as to say that the more contact you have between the "internet meeting" and the "real meeting" the less likely the chances are of success.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hi there! I went on a date with this girl off of Eharmony. We had a very nice, lunch date, and texted afterwards. Last night, we had this discussion. I don't think I was out of line, and I do like to joke around.

Her: {we were talking about her getting more hrs at work} Uh no choice what so ever if i want to continue to be seen as a people leader

Me:Plus u need time to go on a date with me!
Her: Aaand now u know why i'm trying online dating i never have time to date anyone or even meet people!
Me: Yes.
Her: Aand its getting worse lol
Me: Not enough time to book all your dates, eh? I had to cut my hours so I could
Her: Lol oh yeah?
Me:Yes, but with the hours getting cut I can't afford all these dates!
Me: Jk jk
Her: Lol uh huh
Me: Yes?
Me: I sense sarcasm, my dear..
Her:I dont say **** if i dont mean it, not that its any of my business how many girls your dating but to be so arrogant to say that says alot to me
Me:No, it was a joke
Me: Sorry it didn't come across as such via text
Her: Even in sarcasm a statement that arrogant says alot about a person just good to see now
Me:I see
Me:Sorry

I guess I like to use sarcasm, but I feel that she didn't take it that way at all, and felt very stuck up. I guess, I feel, seeing as we've only seen each other once, for a lunch date and texted sporadically afterwards, I was entitled to use the website for other potential matches. Besides, if I am paying hundreds of dollars, I should get my money's worth. I did write her an apology this morning staying how my joke was out of line and I would still be interested in getting to know her better, but I have not heard back. I am just going to move on, but was wondering; was I that out of line?
Thank you.
Why people try to use texting to replace real conversation is beyond me. You can't get across the true meaning...so misunderstandings are always, ALWAYS going to happen when you try to communicate like this, via text. Next time, call the girl up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships