Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 AM

37,775 posts, read 46,273,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Everyone texts these days. Well most. Nothing odd about it. I like texting because it allows me to carry on a conversation at my own pace. I can stop and go take care of the dog or whatever, different than a phone call entirely. In fact, I really only use phone calls these days for quick things like "Hey let's meet tomorrow at 2, ok? Ok, bye!" Much preferred over phone calls for me.
So anyone you "talk" to via text, just has to understand that everything else in your day comes first, before them. Right? See, that's what texting is for....convenient short messages for those not-terribly important times when you don't have the time or the inclination to make a call.

This just screams me-me-me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 AM

51,284 posts, read 36,950,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hi there! I went on a date with this girl off of Eharmony. We had a very nice, lunch date, and texted afterwards. Last night, we had this discussion. I don't think I was out of line, and I do like to joke around.

Her: {we were talking about her getting more hrs at work} Uh no choice what so ever if i want to continue to be seen as a people leader

Me:Plus u need time to go on a date with me!
Her: Aaand now u know why i'm trying online dating i never have time to date anyone or even meet people!
Me: Yes.
Her: Aand its getting worse lol
Me: Not enough time to book all your dates, eh? I had to cut my hours so I could
Her: Lol oh yeah?
Me:Yes, but with the hours getting cut I can't afford all these dates!
Me: Jk jk
Her: Lol uh huh
Me: Yes?
Me: I sense sarcasm, my dear..
Her:I dont say **** if i dont mean it, not that its any of my business how many girls your dating but to be so arrogant to say that says alot to me
Me:No, it was a joke
Me: Sorry it didn't come across as such via text
Her: Even in sarcasm a statement that arrogant says alot about a person just good to see now
Me:I see
Me:Sorry

I guess I like to use sarcasm, but I feel that she didn't take it that way at all, and felt very stuck up. I guess, I feel, seeing as we've only seen each other once, for a lunch date and texted sporadically afterwards, I was entitled to use the website for other potential matches. Besides, if I am paying hundreds of dollars, I should get my money's worth. I did write her an apology this morning staying how my joke was out of line and I would still be interested in getting to know her better, but I have not heard back. I am just going to move on, but was wondering; was I that out of line?
Thank you.
IMO you sound a bit needy and pushy here. First off, you shouldn't have been texting after a first date like that - give a girl a chance to think about you and anticipate when she might hear from you again, for goodness' sake. If you start texting all the time after one date it's going to make you look like you're going to cling too much and most girls will back away from that, or at the least think you don't have other options and start looking for what's wrong with you that you don't. Second, text is no way to get to know someone it is all too easy for things to come out differently than you intend, as you discovered. In early dating save texts for "running a few minutes late" and wait until you know each other better. 3rd, to me it would be a turnoff if after one date, you were already coming across as seeming to want me to put you ahead of my job. Again, it sounds needy and like you are pushing too hard, JMO.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,719,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Exactly. Plus, hearing someone's voice and tone, etc, its easier to pick up on when things are jokes..or serious..etc.
Yes, this. I realize you were joking but just a tip.... don't ever mention you seeing other girls to the girl you're talking to.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,076,113 times
NO, it wasn't too bad That being said, the thing I hate most about OLD is when at any time a person discusses his other dates or asks about mine. I could see how that might be even worse in text. Hopefully she'll write you back. If she liked you enough, she will. I wouldn't find this a deal breaker.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM

39,401 posts, read 27,784,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hi there! I went on a date with this girl off of Eharmony. We had a very nice, lunch date, and texted afterwards. Last night, we had this discussion. I don't think I was out of line, and I do like to joke around.

Her: {we were talking about her getting more hrs at work} Uh no choice what so ever if i want to continue to be seen as a people leader

Me:Plus u need time to go on a date with me!
Her: Aaand now u know why i'm trying online dating i never have time to date anyone or even meet people!
Me: Yes.
Her: Aand its getting worse lol
Me: Not enough time to book all your dates, eh? I had to cut my hours so I could
Her: Lol oh yeah?
Me:Yes, but with the hours getting cut I can't afford all these dates!
Me: Jk jk
Her: Lol uh huh
Me: Yes?
Me: I sense sarcasm, my dear..
Her:I dont say **** if i dont mean it, not that its any of my business how many girls your dating but to be so arrogant to say that says alot to me
Me:No, it was a joke
Me: Sorry it didn't come across as such via text
Her: Even in sarcasm a statement that arrogant says alot about a person just good to see now
Me:I see
Me:Sorry

I guess I like to use sarcasm, but I feel that she didn't take it that way at all, and felt very stuck up. I guess, I feel, seeing as we've only seen each other once, for a lunch date and texted sporadically afterwards, I was entitled to use the website for other potential matches. Besides, if I am paying hundreds of dollars, I should get my money's worth. I did write her an apology this morning staying how my joke was out of line and I would still be interested in getting to know her better, but I have not heard back. I am just going to move on, but was wondering; was I that out of line?
Thank you.
Oh man, you poor thing. She sounds too sensitive, but I do understand where she is coming from. Girls want stable, honest, and loyal man who loves us and only us. Not many women can take so called "jokes" and jokes can be out of line to a lot of women. Not your fault, not hers either. She might need to learn to loosen up a little bit, you might want to learn to establish some boundary with jokes.

I am currently talking to this gentleman I met online. Two nights ago, I told him, "What pet name do you want me to give you?" He said, "whatever you want, baby girl." I said, "How about daddy since you are so old." (He is 39 and is over 10 years older than me) He said, "If you think I am so old, why do you want to date me?" wow!

I realized my joke might be a little bit "poor taste" and he took it as an insult. We all have our insecurities and maybe I should learn to be a little bit more sensitive towards his feeling. But then again, maybe he should learn to trust me a little bit more.

Either way, I think he is worth my time and attention. I apologized to him and he wrote me a long email and told me he didn't want to lose me. =)

Bottom line, if you haven't heard back from this person, moving on is a good option. You perhaps don't want somebody so uptight anyway. It is ridiculous that somebody giving people the death sentence in the dating department simply because they made a wrong joke. Scary to say the least.

Good luck to you, OP, you sound like a good person.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-06-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,176,878 times
I don't much about dating but I know enough to not say "i'm dating lots of other girls"

Old 04-06-2013, 11:08 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,719,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am currently talking to this gentleman I met online. Two nights ago, I told him, "What pet name do you want me to give you?" He said, "whatever you want, baby girl." I said, "How about daddy since you are so old." (He is 39 and is over 10 years older than me) He said, "If you think I am so old, why do you want to date me?" wow!

I realized my joke might be a little bit "poor taste" and he took it as an insult. We all have our insecurities and maybe I should learn to be a little bit more sensitive towards his feeling. But then again, maybe he should learn to trust me a little bit more.

Either way, I think he is worth my time and attention. I apologized to him and he wrote me a long email and told me he didn't want to loose me. =)

Bottom line, if you haven't heard back from this person, moving on is a good option. You perhaps don't want somebody so uptight anyway. It is ridiculous that somebody giving people the death sentence in the dating department simply because they made a wrong joke. Scary to say the least.

Good luck to you, OP, you sound like a good person.
The name "Daddy" is creepy to many. It's conjures up thoughts of a father having sex with his daughter. Many people don't find that sexy or cute and don't want to think of that. But he did call you "baby girl" so it was probably just him being insecure about his age.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
The name "Daddy" is creepy to many. It's conjures up thoughts of a father having sex with his daughter. Many people don't find that sexy or cute and don't want to think of that.
I guess! hehe

Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,176,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
The name "Daddy" is creepy to many. It's conjures up thoughts of a father having sex with his daughter. Many people don't find that sexy or cute and don't want to think of that.

It's not daddy it's usually something like

Big Daddy

Mac Daddy

Not just plan ole daddy which would be weird

Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It's not daddy it's usually something like

Big Daddy

Mac Daddy

Not just plan ole daddy which would be weird
Yeah, that is what I said, "big daddy" =) But he believes I was implying he is too old.
Either way, I will not use that term anymore. It doesn't bother me because it was a joke (poor taste maybe)

But boy or boy, Did I learn my lesson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships