Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times

Advertisements

She would get a much more positive reaction then a man who's never had a girlfriend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
IME, the amount read into a lack of relationships grows much greater as you get older. Eventually, it seems that it's considered damning to never have married than to be divorced multiple times. And it gets held against both men and women, though probably not equally.
That's just the media. Same media who will convince you that marital infidelity is connected with the fact that people abstained from sex (given that they aren't "abstaining" as very young folks, such as 17 y/o couple "abstaining" and rushing into marriage to have sex) instead of having sex with anyone they ever dated... or anyone they dated longer than two weeks.

You'll never hear real people's opinion until they make sure that such stupidity becomes de-facto standard opinion and only then they'll be citing people's opinion which reinforces their social construct. I mean, just imagine someone divorced two times and you are supposed to marry them. Just imagine someone having children with three different people and attempting to run a family with you.

This may look like stereotyping but the mere fact that media will REFUSE to conduct serious research on those topics implies ideological background. If you have a former drug addict who just came out of rehabilitation, your logic and real-world experience tells you that they are very likely to do it again.

Just imagine if someone would tell you that people who haven't tried drugs during their teenage years are very likely to use drugs later on in life or become drug addicts than those who did, because they'll feel the temptation. Then just recall of your personal experiences. As people get older, they are much, much less likely to change, ever.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 AM

936 posts, read 2,060,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
That's just the media. Same media who will convince you that marital infidelity is connected with the fact that people abstained from sex (given that they aren't "abstaining" as very young folks, such as 17 y/o couple "abstaining" and rushing into marriage to have sex) instead of having sex with anyone they ever dated... or anyone they dated longer than two weeks.

You'll never hear real people's opinion until they make sure that such stupidity becomes de-facto standard opinion and only then they'll be citing people's opinion which reinforces their social construct. I mean, just imagine someone divorced two times and you are supposed to marry them. Just imagine someone having children with three different people and attempting to run a family with you.
I would agree, in part. I think it comes from people's overestimating how easy it is for people to find a relationship. And the media play a role by influencing that estimation.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
Not really a problem in and of itself. I wouldn't make assumptions about her because of it.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid09 View Post
Especially someone in her late 20's and really beautiful with a nice body. Would you wonder if there is something wrong with her because how can someone like that not have a boyfriend. Serious answers please.
i wouldn't assume she had something wrong with her , but i would wonder

Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid09 View Post
Especially someone in her late 20's and really beautiful with a nice body. Would you wonder if there is something wrong with her because how can someone like that not have a boyfriend. Serious answers please.
I'd give it little if any thought to be honest.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:42 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Men don't care.
I care!

I'm not going to sugar coat this. If you are a woman that takes care of yourself, and you have a good career, that is the only time I wouldn't have red sirens going off in my head. BUT, I would have yellow sirens.
I recommend the OP find a guy she is attracted to, and has a few things in common and date. You don't HAVE to sleep with the guy, but if I dated a late 20's woman and I had to 'teach' her about the things she should have experienced by now, I will probably lose interest.
Someone in late 20's with no relationship is going to be waaaaaaaay behind on what is accepted relationship behavior. Not only that, but she will be so used to being single, that her 'independence' then becomes a problem also.

Now, if you don't want a LTR, then who cares. But if you want a guy to settle down with, then you better start working on how to be a good relationship partner.
And it isn't a switch, you can't just wake up one day, say, "I want a LTR," and be successful. Some people seek a LTR with failure after failure and still never figure it out. Let alone, NEVER engage in relationships and then assume when they 'are ready', it will all fall in place.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,721 times
I'd go out with her.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm in my 30s and I've never had a girlfriend.

Based on other responses in this thread, I'm sure this woman can probably find some men who've never had a girlfriend (or at least haven't had one in a long time), and therefore would likely not be bothered in the slightest by the fact that she's never had a girlfriend.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I would say yes, something strange is going on. In a world where half the people are men -- and she hasn't allowed anyone to be her boyfriend. Even if she's incredibly passive, certainly guys have approached her. Certainly she's been a part of some social group where she made a few friends. How can someone beautiful not have allowed at least one guy to be her boyfriend?
She may be very picky or very busy as was mentioned by another poster.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
She would get a much more positive reaction then a man who's never had a girlfriend
Why so ? Whereas men like me who've never had a girlfriend may be accused of having no self confidence, she may be accused of being too picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships