Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times

Advertisements

Do you agree with this? I'm struggling with this myself right now.

ARE YOU WITH THE RIGHT PARTNER?

During a seminar, a woman asked," How do I know if I am with the right person?"

The author then noticed that there was a large man sitting next to her so he said, "It depends. Is that your partner?" In all seriousness, she answered "How do you know?" Let me answer this question because the chances are good that it's weighing on your mind
replied the author.

Here's the answer.

Every relationship has a cycle… In the beginning; you
fall in love with your partner. You anticipate their calls,
want their touch, and like their idiosyncrasies. Falling in love wasn't hard. In fact, it was a completely natural and spontaneous experience. You didn't have to DO anything. That's why it's called "falling" in love.

People in love sometimes say, "I was swept of my feet."Picture the expression. It implies that you were just standing there; doing nothing, and then something happened TO YOU.

Falling in love is a passive and spontaneous experience. But after a few months or years of being together, the euphoria of love fades. It's a natural cycle of EVERY relationship.

Slowly but surely, phone calls become a bother (if they come at all), touch is not always welcome (when it happens), and your spouse's idiosyncrasies, instead of being cute, drive you nuts. The symptoms of this stage vary with every relationship; you will notice a dramatic difference between the initial stage when you were in love and a much duller or even angry subsequent stage.

At this point, you and/or your partner might start asking, "Am I with the right person?" And as you reflect on the euphoria of the love you once had, you
may begin to desire that experience with someone
else. This is when relationships breakdown.

The key to succeeding in a relationship is not finding the right person; it's learning to love the person you found.

People blame their partners for their unhappiness and look outside for fulfillment. Extramarital fulfillment comes in all shapes and sizes.

Infidelity is the most common. But sometimes people turn to work, a hobby, friendship, excessive TV, or abusive substances. But the answer to this dilemma does NOT lie outside your relationship. It lies within it.

I'm not saying that you couldn't fall in love with someone else. You could. And TEMPORARILY you'd feel better. But you'd be in the same situation a few years later.

Because (listen carefully to this):

The key to succeeding in a Relationship is not finding the right person; it's learning to love the Person you found.

SUSTAINING love is not a passive or spontaneous experience. You have to work on it day in and day out. It takes time, effort, and energy. And most importantly, it demands WISDOM. You have to know
WHAT TO DO to make it work. Make no mistake about it.

Love is NOT a mystery. There are specific things you can do (with or without your partner), Just as there are physical laws Of the universe (such as gravity), there are also laws for relationships. If you know how to apply these laws, the results are predictable.

Love is therefore a "decision". Not just a feeling.

Remember this always: God determines who walks into your life. It is up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let GO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Do you agree with this?
No. There is no evidence for the existence of gods. Thus, I do not believe that gods determine who walks into my life.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
I've always said love is a verb.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
No. There is no evidence for the existence of gods. Thus, I do not believe that gods determine who walks into my life.
ha!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Yeah. It makes sense.

Gotta find the person who is will to work as hard as you are to make the relationship work.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Yeah. It makes sense.

Gotta find the person who is will to work as hard as you are to make the relationship work.
true and i've been very willing but the only reason I was so willing to make it work was cause I was madly in love. what if I fell out of love? I wonder if I wouldn't ahve cared as much anymore.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
It makes sense. Great article, but this part is a little bit depressing

"Slowly but surely, phone calls become a bother (if they come at all), touch is not always welcome (when it happens),"

Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
true and i've been very willing but the only reason I was so willing to make it work was cause I was madly in love. what if I fell out of love? I wonder if I wouldn't ahve cared as much anymore.
like the OP says, the euphoria eventually fades and things aren't so rosey anymore. The person who you choose to stay with is the person who you hope puts work into the relationship and continues to find ways to bring the love back into the relationship. You're not going to find someone who will always make you have butterflies in your stomach when you are close to him. If that's what you think love is, you'll be bouncing from relationship to relationship every few months or less.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It makes sense. Great article, but this part is a little bit depressing

"Slowly but surely, phone calls become a bother (if they come at all), touch is not always welcome (when it happens),"
He's just saying that the new car smell isn't going to be there, and the couple won't have the same reactions as you did when it was fresh.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
like the OP says, the euphoria eventually fades and things aren't so rosey anymore. The person who you choose to stay with is the person who you hope puts work into the relationship and continues to find ways to bring the love back into the relationship. You're not going to find someone who will always make you have butterflies in your stomach when you are close to him. If that's what you think love is, you'll be bouncing from relationship to relationship every few months or less.
ah no I know that's not what love is. I really get it but I'm 2nd guessing myself, as always . None of my boyfriends gave me butterflies 24/7 but I put forth the work even after it passed. I've just never been married so I worry that after so many years, I will not care anymore..probably where the 2nd guessing is coming from. I hope I don't turn into my dad..married 3 times and divorced 3 times..ah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships