Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,669,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunseenguest View Post
Who isn't materialistic in this world, both men and women are? Don't tell me you would go around dating a homeless druggie since you see the beauty inside of him. No one does that, atleast the majority of the people in this world don't. Some act like hypocrites though and seem to pretend like they aren't materialistic, it's easy to see though.
Homeless druggie? Nah. I don't date people who do drugs and that has nothing to do with being materialistic. As for being homeless, I did have a big crush on a guy who did humanitarian work and lived in his van. He was a pretty awesome guy but smoked too much weed and that was a huuuuuge turn off.

Of course there are different levels of being materialistic, but I don't really consider wanting a roof over my head and some food in my cupboard as being materialistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 04:39 PM

52,384 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Of course there are different levels of being materialistic, but I don't really consider wanting a roof over my head and some food in my cupboard as being materialistic.
You gold digging..........

Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 PM

273 posts, read 532,851 times
Quote:
Homeless druggie? Nah. I don't date people who do drugs and that has nothing to do with being materialistic. As for being homeless, I did have a big crush on a guy who did humanitarian work and lived in his van. He was a pretty awesome guy but smoked too much weed and that was a huuuuuge turn off.

So what's your definition of being materialistic then? Do you not date men that appeal to you looks wise? 99% of the women/men in this world wouldn't even touch a man they deem ugly, that's being materialistic too in a way. However none of it is wrong, there are different levels of being materialistic. Some women want a man that's beyond just putting food on the table and a roof over their heads, that's called as having some standards.

If a guy needs to have a fancy luxury car to date or sleep with a sorority chick there's nothing wrong with it. Since those women are in high demand and short supply, the man gotta have something beyond just the means to put food on the table and roof over their heads. That translates to looks, power, status, money etc etc. As per my observation in the modern society women love men that are great looking, rich, aggressive personalities(alpha male) they don't go around looking for an average joe that's just going to put some food on the table, unless the woman happens to be super ugly herself.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,816,771 times
Quote:
So what's your definition of being materialistic then? Do you not date men that appeal to you looks wise? 99% of the women/men in this world wouldn't even touch a man they deem ugly, that's being materialistic too in a way. However none of it is wrong, there are different levels of being materialistic. Some women want a man that's beyond just putting food on the table and a roof over their heads, that's called as having some standards.

If a guy needs to have a fancy luxury car to date or sleep with a sorority chick there's nothing wrong with it. Since those women are in high demand and short supply, the man gotta have something beyond just the means to put food on the table and roof over their heads. That translates to looks, power, status, money etc etc. As per my observation in the modern society women love men that are great looking, rich, aggressive personalities(alpha male) they don't go around looking for an average joe that's just going to put some food on the table, unless the woman happens to be super ugly herself.
When you can put food in your own cupboard and keep a roof over your own head, a man's ability as a provider isn't all that relevant.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of men I've gone out with have not been attractive to me. I'd like to think I know myself fairly well and I know that a person's looks can get better or worse depending on how their personality is, so I don't put as much stock on appearances. So, while I may not be attracted to them initially, that attraction grows if they're a decent person. Regardless, I can put my own food on the table and my own roof over my head so I'm looking for something more in a man. Not just what he can provide to me.

Quote:

And if that's what he wants then so be it. I grew up around cars and have driven some absolutely amazing ones (basically, you name it and I've probably driven it, or worked on it) so just because a guy owns a 'nice' car doesn't make me more attracted to him. If a mans entire worth is wrapped up in possessions then that's fine, he's just not the man for me. He can continue banging hot sorority girls and I'll continue looking for someone with a bit more substance. To each his/her own.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of men I've gone out with have not been attractive to me. I'd like to think I know myself fairly well and I know that a person's looks can get better or worse depending on how their personality is, so I don't put as much stock on appearances. So, while I may not be attracted to them initially, that attraction grows if they're a decent person. Regardless, I can put my own food on the table and my own roof over my head so I'm looking for something more in a man.
I am not doubting that but you are the one that brought out the topic of a man putting food on the table and roof over the head so I just responded to it accordingly.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I grew up around cars and have driven some absolutely amazing ones (basically, you name it and I've probably driven it, or worked on it) so just because a guy owns a 'nice' car doesn't make me more attracted to him. If a mans entire worth is wrapped up in possessions then that's fine, he's just not the man for me. He can continue banging hot sorority girls and I'll continue looking for someone with a bit more substance. To each his/her own.
I have never met a woman that's not attracted to a man for reasons other than his looks, money, power, social status etc etc. I didn't think they exist, or maybe they just exist on forums like these. In real life however, all the women I have seen are after a select set of men that meet specific criteria. I have seen threads on this forum that correspond to the fact that 90% of the women only tend to go after 10% of the men, so I am not being wrong at all. An exception doesn't prove the rule however.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,816,771 times
Quote:
I have never met a woman that's not attracted to a man for reasons other than his looks, money, power, social status etc etc. I didn't think they exist, or maybe they just exist on forums like these. In real life however, all the women I have seen are after a select set of men that meet specific criteria. I have seen threads on this forum that correspond to the fact that 90% of the women only tend to go after 10% of the men, so I am not being wrong at all. An exception doesn't prove the rule however.
Meh, my husband didn't match your criteria too well when we married. I had dated men with a lot more money, better social status and better looking. None of that was what attracted me to my husband. He had much better qualities than the other men I had dated. Not to say that men that have looks, money, power have crappy personalities or something. Just, I preferred my husband and luckily, these other things improved as he matured.

We're not nearly as rare as you think.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Do you live in a highly materialistic area? I noticed this with my friends in Southern California and NYC, but not so much in the suburban or rural areas. It's interesting that I've had almost the exact opposite experience with the women I've known over the years.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,732,660 times
1982 Dodge Aries? !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships