Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times

Advertisements

In 1980 I worked with a WW2 vet who was stationed in England where he almost married this girl he met but for some reason, probably him leaving for Europe as part of the invasion, they broke up. When the war ended he returned stateside, married a girl, raised a family staying married 35 years until she died of breast cancer.

In 1981 he somehow found this girl in England, bear in mind in mind he had to be at least in his late 50's when this happened, and took off for a visit. He stayed a lot longer than he first expected but, you guessed it, they got married.

Finding her had to be a real task before the age of the internet.

They are both gone now but spent the last 20 years of their lives together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I think this will happen a lot less now that we have the internet and things like Facebook which most people are on. There aren't any more mysteries or things to wonder and pine about. There is no one to miss. They're all right there at your fingertips and you can virtually fantasize about them and never actually have to do or risk anything!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:37 AM

941 posts, read 1,915,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I think this will happen a lot less now that we have the internet and things like Facebook which most people are on. There aren't any more mysteries or things to wonder and pine about. There is no one to miss. They're all right there at your fingertips and you can virtually fantasize about them and never actually have to do or risk anything!
This is true and it makes me wonder how people actually found others before. It was probably way more expensive. At the same time with the internet and facebook, I think a lot more people in general are reunited.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
This is true and it makes me wonder how people actually found others before. It was probably way more expensive. At the same time with the internet and facebook, I think a lot more people in general are reunited.
Yeah my point was that this is still kind of new for older generations. Younger generations won't need to reunite because they'll never be out of touch and out of sight because of facebook.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Yeah my point was that this is still kind of new for older generations. Younger generations won't need to reunite because they'll never be out of touch and out of sight because of facebook.

two of my ex girlfriends defriended me so I can't look at their facebook

Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
two of my ex girlfriends defriended me so I can't look at their facebook
Lmao see

Old 04-13-2013, 12:44 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
two of my ex girlfriends defriended me so i can't look at their facebook
lol!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
two of my ex girlfriends defriended me so i can't look at their facebook
lol!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,401 times
Quote:
And what about old and new generations? People looking for parents or vice versa, or grandparents? My point is while in old times if one wanted to find someone for whatever reason, they either had to hire a PI or use old school methods(phone books, word of mouth) or physically go there. Nowadays it would benefit one who can search easier by internet especially if a older one would not do this.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
And what about old and new generations? People looking for parents or vice versa, or grandparents? My point is while in old times if one wanted to find someone for whatever reason, they either had to hire a PI or use old school methods(phone books, word of mouth) or physically go there. Nowadays it would benefit one who can search easier by internet especially if a older one would not do this.
Yeah I wasn't really talking about the internet in general, I was talking about online social media like Facebook. you don't need to be on facebook in order for someone to find you. One can just do a background check on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships