Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,862,373 times

Advertisements

I have a very attractive mutual friend who I would love to date. We recently agreed to become a "part-time" couple. This means we will do a select few things without actually being a couple. Go to movies, play golf, attend events/weddings, and eat fancy dinners. Anyway, she is actually 3 years older than me, I am 24 (she 27).

She says I am too young for her. I still don't think that is the main reasons she does not want to become official but I cannot be positive. Either way, it got me thinking. How young is too young? I seem to run into the age barrier a lot... Just to put it out there, I am not desperately hoping she "changes" her mind. I am content being single, as is she.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 AM

39,316 posts, read 27,699,206 times
I can understand where she's coming from. I am in my late 20s, I WILL NOT date anybody younger than me, it simply will not work.

I like guys at least five years older than me. I've been approached by younger men, well, they are nice people, but there are just no sexual attraction. It is what it is.

To me, too young means somebody my own age or younger. So maybe your girlfriend feels the same way. Hope things work out for you.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 AM

709 posts, read 598,832 times
I have before...almost 17 years older.

I learned a lot, and she taught me some things.

Only the most manly of men could ever attract women that much older.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,273,404 times
Personally I wouldn't date anyone younger.

I think if you like this woman but know she doesn't want to be a proper couple then I wouldnt date her at all, it will only end with you getting hurt

Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,470,521 times
sounds like she doesn't view you anywhere near an equal and the whole "too young" thing is just an easy way of (not) saying what she actually means.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
sounds like she doesn't view you anywhere near an equal and the whole "too young" thing is just an easy way of (not) saying what she actually means.
Totally agree....If she "was" you would have to beat her off with a stick.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I have a very attractive mutual friend who I would love to date. We recently agreed to become a "part-time" couple. This means we will do a select few things without actually being a couple. Go to movies, play golf, attend events/weddings, and eat fancy dinners. Anyway, she is actually 3 years older than me, I am 24 (she 27).

She says I am too young for her. I still don't think that is the main reasons she does not want to become official but I cannot be positive. Either way, it got me thinking. How young is too young? I seem to run into the age barrier a lot... Just to put it out there, I am not desperately hoping she "changes" her mind. I am content being single, as is she.
I went through something similar a few weeks ago. I'm 24 myself and really liked this 27 year old woman. We went out on a couple of dates but after that she only saw me as a friend (she wanted a friends with benefits thing). I think that the 2.5 year age difference is a big. She was looking more to settle down and I'm not even residing anyway near ready to settle down.

This won't stop me from going after slightly older women but I now know the age difference makes the possibility of a successful relationship kind of remote.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 AM

580 posts, read 966,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I can understand where she's coming from. I am in my late 20s, I WILL NOT date anybody younger than me, it simply will not work.

I like guys at least five years older than me. I've been approached by younger men, well, they are nice people, but there are just no sexual attraction. It is what it is.

To me, too young means somebody my own age or younger. So maybe your girlfriend feels the same way. Hope things work out for you.
five is a good limit. I go five older and five younger. that way you have a good amount of space without being too creepy.

In my opinion I like the older women though. Most of them are mature and powerful people with a lot of their own goals almost met or already met. I think success is sexy to me and, at my age, the people who are older than me are usually the successful ones. But that's just me though.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:44 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,273,404 times
I don't believe in FWB someone always gets hurt. Plus it's just a cop out to get the milk without buying the cow.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I don't believe in FWB someone always gets hurt. Plus it's just a cop out to get the milk without buying the cow.
FWB? I've never had one.

I never had a female friend off the internet either.

Guess that makes me innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships