Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 12:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Thats true. Although Id likely take that over personal insults, which I think are inappropriate.
I think the general premise of Internet forums, in that generalizations of populations and mass insults is acceptable over challenging and addressing the individual, is pretty absurd. It's almost always about the individual, not the population being charged. How I view you, for example, has nothing to do with men at large. Men at large should be held responsible for you. You (and yours in general), OTOH, attempt to take the words and behaviors of individuals and hold an entire population responsible. It's ridiculous. I suppose the MO of Internet forums here is to keep the peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
THere was an extensive research study done, that showed vast majority of men were able to tell if a woman would make a good mate for them, by simply looking at the womans picture. But when the tables were turned, most women could not do the same. Do you wonder why?
Do you have any links to this extensive study? I'm interested in reading the specifics about it.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Pretty much all your posts are personally insulting to women. Just saying.

And for the record - you are the one that lost the topic in your debate with me. Missed the whole point. Oh well.

We don't disagree with you because you are a man - we disagree with you because we think you are wrong. You seem to think we are wrong because we are women. Something you might want to think about.
It's such a myopic worldview. It reminds me of that saying "no matter where you go, there you are".

Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Do you have any links to this extensive study? I'm interested in reading the specifics about it.

To be honest - if he had phrased it differently, I would understand. I can understand men looking at pictures of women and picking out women that they thought would make a good mate. Yes, men want someone beautiful - and probably they picked pics of beautiful women that looked "warm" and "caring." But many women care about more than just looks - so we couldn't pick who would make a good mate for us based on a picture. However - neither sex can actually tell who would make a good mate for them simply from a picture. That one word - TELL - makes me think that he read that study and totally misinterpreted the info. That word - TELL - means that they KNOW that the woman in the pic would make a good mate. She could be a drug addict or a murderer - they would have know way of KNOWING. But they might THINK that she might make a good mate.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

To be honest - if he had phrased it differently, I would understand. I can understand men looking at pictures of women and picking out women that they thought would make a good mate. Yes, men want someone beautiful - and probably they picked pics of beautiful women that looked "warm" and "caring." But many women care about more than just looks - so we couldn't pick who would make a good mate for us based on a picture. However - neither sex can actually tell who would make a good mate for them simply from a picture. That one word - TELL - makes me think that he read that study and totally misinterpreted the info. That word - TELL - means that they KNOW that the woman in the pic would make a good mate. She could be a drug addict or a murderer - they would have know way of KNOWING. But they might THINK that she might make a good mate.

That's why I wanted to read/view this study...to understand the true context, not Ascension's interpretation.

And if somebody is going to mention "studies" to support an argument, they should at least cite them.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
That's why I wanted to read/view this study...to understand the true context, not Ascension's interpretation.

And if somebody is going to mention "studies" to support an argument, they should at least site them.
Couldn't agree more!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:

And if somebody is going to mention "studies" to support an argument, they should at least cite them.
I found this...
Quote:
Now, new research suggests men really do struggle to read women's emotions — at least from their eyes.

The research, published Wednesday (April 10) in the journal PLOS ONE, showed that men had twice as much trouble deciphering women's emotions from images of their eyes compared with those of men. Parts of the male brain tied to emotion also didn't activate as strongly when the men looked at women's eyes.

While pop culture claims that men are from Mars and women are from Venus, both sexes are pretty similar. Yet despite the genders' psychological overlap, a few small studies in men have suggested they have trouble "mind-reading" and guessing what women are thinking and feeling. For instance, one study found that men interpret friendliness from women as sexual come-ons.
They then asked the men to look at images of 36 pairs of eyes, half from men and half from women, and guess the emotion the people felt. The men then chose which of two words, such as distrustful or terrified, best described the eyes' emotion. The eye photographs depicted positive, neutral, and negative emotions.
If men cannot read the emotions of women via an image of the eye, which is supposed to be the windows to the soul (or some such thing), I don't know how they can determine if she would make a good mate based on a photograph.

It's true: Men can't read women's emotions, study confirms - The Body Odd

Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
The findings suggest that men are worse at reading women's emotions. This "theory of mind" is one of the foundations for empathy, so the deficit could lead men to have less empathy for women relative to men, the researchers write.
This last part is really interesting imo. I wonder if it plays into what we often see on this forum.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM

And this just gets better...

Quote:
Women can tell with some accuracy whether an unfamiliar male is faithful simply by looking at his face, but men seem to lack the same ability when checking out women, according to an Australian study published on Wednesday.
Women can tell a cheating man just by looking at them: study | Reuters

Go figure. I had no idea. Interesting reading material today to keep me busy while I wait. Thanks, Ascension.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This last part is really interesting imo. I wonder if it plays into what we often see on this forum.
Not only this forum, but in general.

I mean, this could explain why guys don't get why women get irritated when they leer at them, or cat call them. It could also explain why, during certain rape trials that have been going on recently, the public shames the VICTIM and protects the rapist. They just don't empathize with the woman as much as the man even though the man was the one who committed the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships