Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I do think getting a history degree or art degree is pretty pointless, to be honest. You can learn about history and make art without a degree. But there are certain things that school should be utilized for.
I have an Art degree and I definitely agree with you JJ. My degree is basically useless, but in order to get any good projects, I need that piece of paper. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
I think there are some people who have a natural inclination to start businesses and be successful which will happen with or without a college degree.

Maybe I see it differently because it would have been damn near impossible to just casually learn about engineering without going to school. Yes, I can build a car and could probably build a plane if I really wanted to, but with the industry advancing like it is, not knowing CAD design and how to use certain machines (which a layman doesn't have access to) is really necessary.

For me, it was about having access to information that wasn't nearly as available on my own, and especially access to computer programs and machinery that weren't available to me as well.

I do think getting a history degree or art degree is pretty pointless, to be honest. You can learn about history and make art without a degree. But there are certain things that school should be utilized for.
Yea, I generally agree. Although, at least when it comes to art, having access to skilled artists, learning technique efficiently, and having a structured atmosphere is going to be conducive to developing greater skill than when a person is on their own. Or so I imagine! I would love to take some art classes.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have an Art degree and I definitely agree with you JJ. My degree is basically useless, but in order to get any good projects, I need that piece of paper. It is what it is.
So, did you not learn technique while in school? My SIL went to RISD and produced a lot of fine work while she was there. I was envious.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
So, did you not learn technique while in school? My SIL went to RISD and produced a lot of fine work while she was there. I was envious.
Sure I learned technique while in school. But i feel my art degree is pointless to be completely honest.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Sorry, but this post is just off the mark in so many ways, but it does highlight the point I made earlier about the differences between degrees and how having a degree does not equate to or result in an educated person. I published before I finished my undergrad. Many science majors in good/top schools do. I had work under patent review before I finished undergrad. Obviously, grad school led to more of the same, which is real life experience in the sciences. I'll say, from a pure research perspective, it's more in depth than in industry. Second, there are ZERO scientists at my company (or any company I can think of in my industry) working for people who are uneducated. Third, bringing high school drop outs into this part of the conversation is just absurd.

That you even compare Bill Gates to the average college drop out sets the bar so low that it's pointless to even bring it up. Maybe your post is in jest?
Also, what really matters is how you use your degree in real life. One could also have a PhD in History and be an idiot.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Yea, I generally agree. Although, at least when it comes to art, having access to skilled artists, learning technique efficiently, and having a structured atmosphere is going to be conducive to developing greater skill than when a person is on their own. Or so I imagine! I would love to take some art classes.
Perhaps it depends on where you go and what you learn. I have a music degree and honestly could have learned everything there by reading books, watching dvds or playing music with other people. Now, if I had been serious about music as a career then that degree would have been far more important. One of my friends is a music teacher and he obviously wouldn't have been hired without his music degree, and I know another who plays viola for a philharmonic and without those structured classes she wouldn't have progressed as far in her career as a musician. I do think it has more to do with who you know and who you come in contact with, though. If you have raw talent a college degree won't matter because you will easily get a mentor to guide you through it.

For me, I just did it for funsies

Old 04-24-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Sure I learned technique while in school. But i feel my art degree is pointless to be completely honest.
Hopefully you were funded. I suppose it depends on the kind of art you do, but I would hope that you would walk out of that degree program with a fine portfolio, enough business classes under your belt so that you know how to market yourself, and maybe some commercial training that could fit somewhere? With that said, perhaps people might want to start considering doubling up on their majors. One major they can make a career out of that will give them monies spent back, and the other major the "fun" major. I got a psych degree while doing my other major because I was interested in psych (as well as a bit of grade inflation), but I knew it had to be a secondary thing.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Also, what really matters is how you use your degree in real life. One could also have a PhD in History and be an idiot.
True.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
I agree. I'm only speaking of sci PhDs. The humanities are another ball of wax. As I mentioned to Lily, two majors for the price of one seems like a winning ticket to me. A person just needs good time management.
Quote:
Perhaps it depends on where you go and what you learn. I have a music degree and honestly could have learned everything there by reading books, watching dvds or playing music with other people. Now, if I had been serious about music as a career then that degree would have been far more important. One of my friends is a music teacher and he obviously wouldn't have been hired without his music degree, and I know another who plays viola for a philharmonic and without those structured classes she wouldn't have progressed as far in her career as a musician.

For me, I just did it for funsies
I want to do that too! Good for you. I didn't know you had a music degree. Double major?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
I agree. I'm only speaking of sci PhDs. The humanities are another ball of wax. As I mentioned to Lily, two majors for the price of one seems like a winning ticket to me. A person just needs good time management.

I want to do that too! Good for you. I didn't know you had a music degree. Double major?
Entirely accidental.

I was taking classes on and off at a community college for 'enrichment' during high school and while I was getting my engineering degree at a nearby university. A lot of the classes gave me anxiety so I would take a music or arts class for cheap to relax myself(I think it was around $40 a unit) and eventually they sent me an email saying I had enough credits for an AA. It was actually pretty funny because I had the diploma sent to my parents house and my Mom called me, very confused, and said 'Uh...a college degree came in the mail for you?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships