Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

I too have to say "meow".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
It's a gift - that keeps giving!!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 PM

73 posts, read 324,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
The cattiness in here amazing. The OP was just giving an initial reaction with the intentions of sharing some news. no need to jump down their throat like half-starved hyenas. Just point out tactfully that her post wasn't quite so....tactful is enough.
I understand that but at the time this person should really not judge everyone that has an STD as being the same. Their are millions of people that have an STD from rape and other bad situations. I just think that this person is a very close minded individual.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1018 View Post
I understand that but at the time this person should really not judge everyone that has an STD as being the same. Their are millions of people that have an STD from rape and other bad situations. I just think that this person is a very close minded individual.
And it never hurts to educate individuals but not in the manner that is being done here. If you read through the posts, you'll see a reoccurring pattern where the comments made are meant to scorn and put down--very similar to the setting of a group of grade school girls enclosing in on the one girl that made a social faux pas. I would not say that the comments being made are neither educational nor with good intentions at all. "I have to say meow too"? It seems more to me some people are simply trying to be escalate the drama level of the situation. So perhaps the OP didn't know...perhaps that's her actual opinion...perhaps it was an off-the-cuff comment-- but this hive mindset I'm seeing here amongst posters where each one of them is taking a bite of the OP (despite having read that what they keep rehashing has already been said) is disturbing.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
And it never hurts to educate individuals but not in the manner that is being done here. If you read through the posts, you'll see a reoccurring pattern where the comments made are meant to scorn and put down--very similar to the setting of a group of grade school girls enclosing in on the one girl that made a social faux pas. I would not say that the comments being made are neither educational nor with good intentions at all. "I have to say meow too"? It seems more to me some people are simply trying to be escalate the drama level of the situation. So perhaps the OP didn't know...perhaps that's her actual opinion...perhaps it was an off-the-cuff comment-- but this hive mindset I'm seeing here amongst posters where each one of them is taking a bite of the OP (despite having read that what they keep rehashing has already been said) is disturbing.
I've just reread this thread, and I really don't see where people are "taking a bite" of the OP. We're disagreeing with her. Is disagreeing with someone who is woefully ignorant of the facts something to be considered as horrible as you make it out to be? Absolutely not. The only thing disturbing in this thread are the OP's posts - which, by the way, are not off-the-cuff. She made more than one post, both of which were the only malicious posts in this thread.

The only thing more disturbing than the OP's posts is your defense of them. Would you rather we all just turn our backs and allow her to spread the false, hurtful information?

This is not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of ignorance and misinformation. It's the responsibility of educated people to keep such horrible misconceptions from being spread.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
It's called VDDating.com...It's for people who have V.D.

Now why would you want to date someone who has a sexually transmitted disease (they obviously sleep around with everyone they go on a first date with)?? That's just gross, in my opinion. You know these people are too promiscuous, "players", and only want a 1 night stand. That's just my 2 cents in.

I know I'm going to be condemned by a lot of people on here, but why would they have such a dating site like that. That's just gross to me.
aids will not show up on blood test for 90 days. aids will not show physical symptoms for 7 years. 25% of aids carriers have not told their partner.
50% of the aids in usa comes from 11% of the population.
i am trying to make a point, please be careful.
ps you can still get herpes with a condom.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM

73 posts, read 324,967 times
Quote:
I still stand by what said. I respect your opinion and thats why I'm not getting at like a school girl. BUT I have no respect for the person who posted this forum. I don't think its that i'm acting like a school girl, its more of a disappointment to hear such hurtful and judgmental things from someone who has obviously never has had the experience of dealing with an STD. I do agree that everyone has a right to their own opinion but at the same time to have an opinion on a subject I think you should know the facts. I believe that she is morally wrong for what she said even though that is what she believes. It is people like her that always bring down other people and I'm not with that

Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I've just reread this thread, and I really don't see where people are "taking a bite" of the OP. We're disagreeing with her. Is disagreeing with someone who is woefully ignorant of the facts something to be considered as horrible as you make it out to be? Absolutely not. The only thing disturbing in this thread are the OP's posts - which, by the way, are not off-the-cuff. She made more than one post, both of which were the only malicious posts in this thread.

The only thing more disturbing than the OP's posts is your defense of them. Would you rather we all just turn our backs and allow her to spread the false, hurtful information?

This is not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of ignorance and misinformation. It's the responsibility of educated people to keep such horrible misconceptions from being spread.
Please re-read the post that you quoted and note that I said education is never a bad thing---but overdramatizing the situation--as I feel you are currently doing to me--is what is destructive about this post. Did I say we should turn our backs? No. So do not put words into my mouth.

Last edited by johnycakes; 11-02-2007 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: Removed elements of personal attack

Old 11-02-2007, 06:48 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Quote:
Please re-read the post that you quoted and note that I said education is never a bad thing---but overdramatizing the situation--as I feel you are currently doing to me--is what is destructive about this post. Did I say we should turn our backs? No. So do not put words into my mouth.
SmerkyGrl, without wishing to personally inflict any form of embarassment, bare with me while I try to phrase this delicately.

STDs are a very touchy subject, because the effects and changes of lifestyle are so drastic. All in all, you can't fault someone for "overdramatizing" any parts about this thread in regards to STDs. The drama is there, it is a case by case basis with people that aren't infected, as to whether they choose to acknowledge it or not for what it is. If you are one of these people that look the other way, or "downplay" the "drama" of it all, then perhaps this thread is not for you.

Everyone needs to pick their own battles. Arguing the seriousness of STDs or not, would not be a wise one to pick at this time. This thread is based off the introduction of a new website particularly targetting individuals with STDs. While everyone is welcome to give their opinion, if you're not overly concerned with it in general, the best thing to do is to stay out of it, rather than instigate conflict with those that "do" chose to take it more dramaticly.

Kindest regards.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
I remember a lecture my micro-bio prof. hosted several years ago. There was a panel of maybe 5-6 scientists, healthcare professionals, & a retired CDC researcher. They ALL agreed that approximately 20% of the global population has herpes &/or HPV. They also ALL agreed that 20% is a rediculuosly low # due to how many people out there don't know they have it PLUS all the people who suspect they have it & aren't about to do a darn to thing to make certain one way or the other. The panel told an auditorium of over 500 students to look around; that probably half of those present were infected.

A dating site for responsible people with STDs? Probably a safer bet than taking your chances with the unknown @ match.com or anywhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships