Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestyn View Post
Sounds like you would work with him, to some extent.

Some flaws that I broke up with men over and didn't try to work through were hoarder and alcoholic. The hoarder I did help him clean up his house once, but when it went back to full of trash and rotting food I was done.
I'd try. It's that at some point a part of me would start to feel really dissatisfied.

That's why i say if I look at things objectively, no flaw's acceptable to me. Just being honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Nobody is perfect, so you'll have to tolerate the bad in order to enjoy the good.

For me an unacceptable flaw would be joking about certain unfortunate things, like disabilities.

...but an acceptable flaw would be being a picky eater.
Not so much flaws, just traits that may bother me. I consider flaws to be things like untreated addiction, abusive behavior, etc. I'm assuming what you really mean are hot-button personality traits, rather than unhealthy, dysfunctional behavior.

That in mind...the picky eater thing...too funny, because as it turns out, a guy being a picky eater is, if not a dealbreaker, pretty darned close to being one, for me. Never would have thought it, till I lived it for five years. Bothered me way more than I'd ever have imagined. Had a much greater quality of life impact than I'd ever have imagined. To me, the picky eating thing was just the tip of the iceberg on all kinds of rigidily and obsessive behavior. I'm skeptical of people with that narrow of parameters.

People who aren't a good, balanced mixture of wanting to do things out and about and being okay with being a homebody from time to time as well. I'm a person who truly appreciates being able to relax in my sanctuary of a home, but I also wouldn't be fulfilled with a person who didn't enjoy outings just as much. All things in moderation. I'm not the "must always be on the go" person, but I'm also not interested in being a shut in. Need compatibility, there.

People who don't like to read and aren't interested in bookish, nerdy pursuits aren't very interesting to me.

Overall, my main rule of thumb is that I won't write somebody off over a quirk that I myself possess and wouldn't want to be written off over.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'd try. It's that at some point a part of me would start to feel really dissatisfied.

That's why i say if I look at things objectively, no flaw's acceptable to me. Just being honest.
What flaws in yourself do you live with?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,966 times
I could overlook a picky eater, but like the OP, I would never ever tolerate jokes or insensitivity/disrepect towards the disabled. I could also not overlook smoking....gross.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:29 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I never thought about 'acceptable' personality flaws, but unacceptable ones would include making fun of the less fortunate, being ungrateful whenever someone does something nice for you, having a 'holier-than-thou' attitude, and being too loud and obnoxious, to the point where it's embarrassing and off-putting.
OH lady you just named my unacceptable too!!!! I'd like to add control freak to my list, gracious I really hate control freaks, it's LIKE, (sorry discombobulated,) there are more important things in this world than how someone loads the dishwasher or other minor things in life.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My son has the same "flaw." He's not 2 years old yet - so I'm hoping he'll grow out of it!
They do Dewdrop, in fact, once they hit their teens they could care less what they are eating. I often said that if something "alive" did not move within a 5 to 10 minute time frame my boys would have eaten it when they hit their teens. I'd have to keep moving the dogs and inside plants just so they wouldn't end up in one of stepsons gullets. LOL, kidding in a way, but in a way not either.

However, till that time, eek, it drove me crazy having to make dinners that they would eat. At least they both loved broccoli and corn so they got some veggies when they were young. Now when we go to a restaurant, they always want to try new dishes. They'll even get bored with the same restaurants too, saying, "hey what about that new Indian/neo greek restaurant, sounds interesting."

Plus, I'd like to add once they hit pre-teen and want to sleep all day or even into their teens let them for the most part. It gives their body the sleep it needs to grow. I heard that from a child phys. once and my son grew 6" in one afternoon during a nap. My husband wanted to wake him but I said no, let him sleep so he can grow. He's 6'-5" now.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What flaws in yourself do you live with?
I'm sure there's many.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
They do Dewdrop, in fact, once they hit their teens they could care less what they are eating. I often said that if something "alive" did not move within a 5 to 10 minute time frame my boys would have eaten it when they hit their teens. I'd have to keep moving the dogs and inside plants just so they wouldn't end up in one of stepsons gullets. LOL, kidding in a way, but in a way not either.

However, till that time, eek, it drove me crazy having to make dinners that they would eat. At least they both loved broccoli and corn so they got some veggies when they were young. Now when we go to a restaurant, they always want to try new dishes. They'll even get bored with the same restaurants too, saying, "hey what about that new Indian/neo greek restaurant, sounds interesting."

Plus, I'd like to add once they hit pre-teen and want to sleep all day or even into their teens let them for the most part. It gives their body the sleep it needs to grow. I heard that from a child phys. once and my son grew 6" in one afternoon during a nap. My husband wanted to wake him but I said no, let him sleep so he can grow. He's 6'-5" now.
Oh gosh...my baby brother (who is nearly 21...but he's still the baby ) eats like a HORSE. I made the mistake of offering to buy him lunch when he helped me move a few pieces of furniture and it ended up costing me just about $100. He had three entrees to himself and then finished mine...and he's 6'4 and around 185 lbs so he's basically a string bean. Put food in front of him, and he'll eat it. It was great when I was cooking a lot because even if I made a mistake and it turned out bad, he'd still eat it all.

As for the OP...depends entirely on the severity of the 'flaw'. I've found all kinds of things are tolerable if you actually like the person. Some of my friends have horrid flaws and I don't love them any less for it. In many cases, their flaws are what make them interesting.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh gosh...my baby brother (who is nearly 21...but he's still the baby ) eats like a HORSE. I made the mistake of offering to buy him lunch when he helped me move a few pieces of furniture and it ended up costing me just about $100. He had three entrees to himself and then finished mine...and he's 6'4 and around 185 lbs so he's basically a string bean. Put food in front of him, and he'll eat it. It was great when I was cooking a lot because even if I made a mistake and it turned out bad, he'd still eat it all.
^^^That's so funny Jet. I guess my stepsons take after their dad who is like your baby brother. I love cooking for a man who enjoys eating. When we'd go to my parents house for dinner while we were dating he'd forget himself and eat the whole roast chicken my mother had made for all four of us. After the first time my mom would then make one for us and one solely for my date - my husband now.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
I won't put up with
-know it alls
-rude people
-sper of the moment people(I like to plan!)
-no manners
-racists
-no sense of money value
-cheaters
-smokers
-bossy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships