Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,502 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen exactly what you've seen, but I always used the "casual sex" comments or listings on what they're looking for as an indicator that I didn't want to date that person. The thought of getting STDs from them turned me off too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
I am more alarmed by people who indicate that they are tested regularly. If you are getting tested regularly, then you are engaging in risky behavior regularly. If a guy uses a condom for his encounters, there isn't a need for regularly testing, one's yearly physical is often enough.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I am more alarmed by people who indicate that they are tested regularly. If you are getting tested regularly, then you are engaging in risky behavior regularly. If a guy uses a condom for his encounters, there isn't a need for regularly testing, one's yearly physical is often enough.
I even got regularly tested every few months while in my last relationship. I had a friend who found out her husband was cheating because she got herpes, when he was the ONLY man she'd ever slept with.

You really can't trust anyone when it comes to your health.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Just use condoms if you want to bang everyone. They are the best protection for all the horndogs out there

Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
A HUGE turnoff for me on OKC these days are the guys who make it clear in their questions section that they are up for NSA sex, random hookups, sleeping with someone on the first date, open relationships, etc. and then appear to be clutching their pearls over STDs, while indicating that they do not get tested regularly. The best is when they indicate that they wouldn't even go out with someone who has ORAL herpes, which something like 65% of all adults eventually contract.

I don't even have oral herpes, but I'm sure as hell not going out with one of these idiots. My god, you can get HSV 1 from sharing a coffee cup! I don't have a problem with men who are promiscuous, either, but these guys are clearly not behaving responsibly and are either poorly educated on STDs or deliberately have their heads in the sand. They're like prime disease vectors, and they just seem terribly immature. If you're going to sleep around, at least be smart about it and be mature enough to accept the fact that STDs are a risk and you need to address it.

Rant over.
The guys I know that hook up a lot online are so concerned about contracting STD's themselves becuase they are making a big assumption:

If said attractive guy hooks up relatively easily from online dating, than said woman has the potential to hook up 3-4 x's more frequently than said attractive guy. Especially in urban cities.

Also, these guys also have woman friends that have no problem confiding in them their current sexual/ dating behaviors over 12-24 month time spans. Therefore, these guys actually know what SOME women are doing when they are 'online dating'.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I even got regularly tested every few months while in my last relationship. I had a friend who found out her husband was cheating because she got herpes, when he was the ONLY man she'd ever slept with.

You really can't trust anyone when it comes to your health.
I really find this very strange and alarmist. That said, everyone must decide upon their own acceptable level of risk.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,552 times
I read an article today about a super strain of gonorrhea that is supposed to be worse than AIDS.

I usually get tested once a year.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,708,313 times
A lot of your are forgetting that you also can get STDs from oral sex. SO, the condom won't help you there.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
A lot of your are forgetting that you also can get STDs from oral sex. SO, the condom won't help you there.
Very true. I have seen shows on sex addicts where people contracted herpes in their eyes even. Gee I wonder how that happened?

Lets not forget hepatitis and all of that other fun stuff you can contract through oral sex and swapping spit.

And for those who brag about being tested because they engage in risky sex...what about the incubation period. That fun little window of time after a person contracts something, when it does not show up on a test.

I never understood why people think getting tested all of the time is a safety net for STD's. People do not get tested after each partner, wait a while for the incubation period to pass, then go looking for a new partner with paperwork in-hand. How can they even guarantee that their partner who tested clear, tested clear for everything AND is being 100% monogamous since that test?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
A HUGE turnoff for me on OKC these days are the guys who make it clear in their questions section that they are up for NSA sex, random hookups, sleeping with someone on the first date, open relationships, etc. and then appear to be clutching their pearls over STDs, while indicating that they do not get tested regularly. The best is when they indicate that they wouldn't even go out with someone who has ORAL herpes, which something like 65% of all adults eventually contract.

I don't even have oral herpes, but I'm sure as hell not going out with one of these idiots. My god, you can get HSV 1 from sharing a coffee cup! I don't have a problem with men who are promiscuous, either, but these guys are clearly not behaving responsibly and are either poorly educated on STDs or deliberately have their heads in the sand. They're like prime disease vectors, and they just seem terribly immature. If you're going to sleep around, at least be smart about it and be mature enough to accept the fact that STDs are a risk and you need to address it.

Rant over.

I have sex with people, but have hypochondria. Not my fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships