Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

@vader:

I once dated a guy who asked me out. Otherwise, it's always been me asking. I told you I was direct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM

I was think some more about a slightly-upthread subtopic.

If a guy does not understand women's concerns about safety,as evidenced by his approach style or response when she expresses concern, it tells me a whole bunch of useful info about him.

Not knowing something so basic about women's lives is like not knowing that woman shave their legs. If he doesn't know that, then one or more of the following is true (usually all of them):

- He doesn't know any women IRL. He has never had a female lover or friend that he was close to. (My reaction to this is sort of like when look at an item and Amazon and it has several thousand negative reviews and not a single positive one.)

- He has not chosen to remedy his ignorance about women by research. He has never read a blog, magazine article, or book by a woman that deals with ordinary issues, or seen a tv show or movie with even slightly realistic female characters

- He has a severe social disability. Even a guy who was raised in some all-male community without access to tv, books, or the internet will be able to sense when a person he's talking to doesn't want to interact, unless he has brain wiring issues.

Each of these, especially the choice aspect, is a red flag to me.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I don't know if it's something about me, but the guys who approach me in the grocery store or other non-social public spaces almost uniformly show signs of major mental illness. After many decades of this, a guy would have to be shockingly sane for me to go past the obvious assumption.
I personally prefer the shoulder tick approach.

I've had a few run ins myself. Believe it or not, I can actually identify with that. I have my guard up when anyone approaches me. (particularly a guy)

Definitely watch out for the paranoid types. I had one become a stalker on me. I'm doing my best to stay away. But when I get cornered...

Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Quote:
If a guy does not understand women's concerns about safety,as evidenced by his approach style or response when she expresses concern, it tells me a whole bunch of useful info about him.

Not knowing something so basic about women's lives is like not knowing that woman shave their legs. If he doesn't know that, then one or more of the following is true (usually all of them):
Or maybe he assumed that most women are sane, and would know that there isn't that much to be scared of, and not every guy is going to kill you.
Of course, in modern American society, he'd be wrong in that assumption.

For the record, there are no safety concerns, 90% of the women who claim they've been stalked haven't, and you need to stop watching Lifetime movies.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Or maybe he assumed that most women are sane, and would know that there isn't that much to be scared of, and not every guy is going to kill you.
Of course, in modern American society, he'd be wrong in that assumption.

For the record, there are no safety concerns, 90% of the women who claim they've been stalked haven't, and you need to stop watching Lifetime movies.

Do you have stats for your 90% figure?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 PM

::laughing::

I have never seen a lifetime movie. Does that channel even still exist? I thought it was, like, an 80s phenomenon.

And you, hun, need to stop reading PUA/MRA sites. If you ever want to get a real woman, which I don't think you do.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
I'm sure there are some women out there who make fake claims for whatever reason, but 90%?

I wouldn't think they were worth it.

Then again, maybe some of the false claimers had dealt with some socially awkward people who just didn't have a good sense of boundaries. (That does happen, but normally, if you tell them stop, then they will comply)

But there are quite a few people who have a predatory mentality.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM

495 posts, read 684,755 times
The vast majority of murders and to a lesser extent rapes of women are done by someone the women knows quite well or is very comfortable with. Most of the time its a husband, boyfriend or relative.The amount of crime done to women by strange men they just met is minute compared to the crimes done to them by they know very well.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:03 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Scuse me? I don't read those sites, and if you is what a "real woman" is, then you can keep it.

"A woman's concerns about safety"? Jesus Christ you're a loon. You actually managed to write an entire list of wild speculations you make about some theoretical guy based on the fact that HE MADE YOU SLIGHTLY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR A SECOND. Do you understand how nuts that is? That's INSANE.
Not to mention how screwed up it is that you actually think you're so helpless.

Did it ever occur to you that your views are based on a reactionary culture (and that's what liberal/blue state culture is now that the cultural revolution of the 60's was won) that by all metrics is highly disfunctional and dying out? You ever heard of anyone outside of American urban areas talking like this?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Scuse me? I don't read those sites, and if you is what a "real woman" is, then you can keep it.

"A woman's concerns about safety"? Jesus Christ you're a loon. You actually managed to write an entire list of wild speculations you make about some theoretical guy based on the fact that HE MADE YOU SLIGHTLY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR A SECOND. Do you understand how nuts that is? That's INSANE.
Not to mention how screwed up it is that you actually think you're so helpless.

Did it ever occur to you that your views are based on a reactionary culture (and that's what liberal/blue state culture is now that the cultural revolution of the 60's was won) that by all metrics is highly disfunctional and dying out? You ever heard of anyone outside of American urban areas talking like this?

She's a loon because she looks out for her safety? There is a guy who writes/talks about personal safety and one of his main messages is that women(or anyone)
should absolutely listen to their gut when a situation doesn't seem right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships