Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:13 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times

Advertisements

... but the letter helps those who were with manipulative, dominating persons. It lets you say what you need to say to them. it is not chicken manure, it is not cowardly. I've had conversations that didn't work and that were turned on me. I've had letters given to me that required a response from those who otherwise wouldn't listen to anything less than a letter. Outside of the person being in a war zone, write away and deliver it. No harm, no foul, and it starts the relationship termination process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 06:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
... but the letter helps those who were with manipulative, dominating persons. It lets you say what you need to say to them. it is not chicken manure, it is not cowardly. I've had conversations that didn't work and that were turned on me. I've had letters given to me that required a response from those who otherwise wouldn't listen to anything less than a letter. Outside of the person being in a war zone, write away and deliver it. No harm, no foul, and it starts the relationship termination process.
That in itself means that the person does not summon the basic wherewithal to deal with manipulative, domineering people -- which is an entirely different conversation.

Okay, if you're dealing with Ted Bundy, maybe. But the vast majority of the time, we're talking about the boyfriend or girlfriend that you've been dating for six months but it's just not going to work. In that sense, a letter is indeed cowardly. The other person deserves better.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
I probably would have rather had the Dear John letter than for a once SO to just stop returning calls and pretend we never happened. I think that way is way more cowardly and suck assedly than a letter.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I probably would have rather had the Dear John letter than for a once SO to just stop returning calls and pretend we never happened. I think that way is way more cowardly and suck assedly than a letter.
yes!!! the latter happened to me and how i wished he would have just sent a text or something.

that being said, breaking up in person is preferrable; however, some people will not allow that. I wrote a topic on here about how my friend is a crazy ex who poured water in a girl's gas tank.... that girl broke up with him by text. my boyfriend said it was a crummy thing to do. i said i understood it, because he flew off the handle and was extremely erratic (ie. showing everyone her intimate photos, pouring water in her gas tank). i wonder what would have happened if she broke up with him in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships