Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,745 times

Advertisements

LOL. I wouldn't mind because it's YOUR money and car. And I'm not a weirdo like your gf.. my husband drives MY car whenever we go out. but then i can see why she would protest - she has no car? oh my.

just confused why it's big deal to her unless she drives when you two go out using your car?? about the engagement i'm lucky my husband think it's stupid to have year long engagement that's what he said to that movie 5 year engagement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
i dont think its weird to think about the future like that at a year and a half (and in fact depending on your age you should know at this point whether or not you're planning on marrying this chick) and consider her opinion on large purchases, however why wouldn't she just have her own car? maybe she's just upset you're not consulting her about things rather than genuinely concerned about the stick shift thing cuz that by itself seems silly.

edit- after reading the whole thread i dont think this is the woman for you. you're not that crazy about her and she can sense that hence her getting upset about the dumb car issue. breaking up is hard to do but you're wasting your time. i stayed with my ex for three long years even though i knew deep down i didn't wana be with him. i finally had the balls to leave him last year and a few months later i met someone who was a much better match and makes me way happier. don't let yourself miss out like that. you both deserve someone you're happy and compatible with.

Last edited by brocco; 05-08-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
well, to be fair - the "i'm not waiting around for you" talk is mainly because of her age, she wants to have kids and the whole biological clock thing etc. Kids can't be 3-5 years away, she is 33 already and she doesn't want to wait that long to have kids. After 35 it's tougher to have kids and increased risk.

Another thing is that I have a lot of money saved up and she has no money saved up but she has an expectation that I will use the money that I have saved up until now to pay for a $20,000-30,000 wedding and a honeymoon after that and also a downpayment on a house. On the other hand I want to get married in a courthouse for under $1000 and have maybe a $2000 max honeymoon...I don't believe in expensive showoff weddings etc. I have thus far kept quiet about all of this but I think it's time to communicate this but I feel that she will think I am a cheapskate.

Well, you ARE a bit of cheapskate, but that is beside the point.

The point is, you have the right to be who you are and she has the right to be who SHE is, but if those two people are not compatible (can compromise willingly and accept their differences with respect) they should not be together.

You seem to be stringing her along, and that's not fair.

Be who you are, BUT be very honest about it so she can decide for herself to either adjust her expectations, or move on.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
I remember your other posts about this woman. I cannot believe you're still together. Run away! This is going to be the marriage from Hell if you get shanghaied into marrying her.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, you ARE a bit of cheapskate, but that is beside the point
that's not really fair to say just based off of his wedding idea

one of the most generous couples I know just had a bbq for their wedding

Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,745 times
If the OP was cheapskate then what do u call my husband? He spent a GRAND total of $100 in our courthouse wedding.. How do you even spent $1000 for it ? Don't you just register and get married in court AFTER falling in line like those apple/xbox sales? LOL.

That was how we got married. No honeymoon unless you count our place which he does not even want to do in our wedding night. LOL.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Maybe I missed something, but does she not have her own car? Why would she care what car you bought if she has her own? If she doesn't have a car, what would lead her to believe that you are buying one for her? She's 33 and doesn't have a car?

Also, don't teach her to drive stick on a sports car. She'll trash your clutch and you'll be stuck with the bill. Sports car clutches tend to be more difficult to drive for newbies.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Maybe I missed something, but does she not have her own car? Why would she care what car you bought if she has her own? If she doesn't have a car, what would lead her to believe that you are buying one for her? She's 33 and doesn't have a car?

Also, don't teach her to drive stick on a sports car. She'll trash your clutch and you'll be stuck with the bill. Sports car clutches tend to be more difficult to drive for newbies.
Maybe they live in a place like NYC where having a car is not necessary and very expensive to park?

What I'm saying is, there could be a very logical reason why she doesn't have her own car

Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
that's not really fair to say just based off of his wedding idea

one of the most generous couples I know just had a bbq for their wedding
Well, it wasn't just based on his idea of how he wants to get married

And I did say he has the right to be whoever he wants to be - I wasn't criticizing him.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
This is a weird question.

Say you and your significant other have been together for a year and a half. You are buying a new car and you love to drive manual transmissions so you have your eyes on a 6 speed sports car and are thinking of buying it. Your girlfriend objects because she cannot drive a stick shift and says you have to make decisions thinking about the future - i.e. marrying her and having kids at some point in the near future etc. What would you make of this situation? A delusional controlling girlfriend? or someone who has a rational argument?

Would you accept such a compromise even if you weren't currently married or had any kids?
A rational argument if you were engaged/married, a controlling girlfriend if you are not. I would not accept that compromise without a ring on the finger.

Please tell me the car in question is a Camaro, I'll be on your side all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships