Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM

290 posts, read 567,900 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty much the breadwinner of our family. I partly financially support my family. My dad passed away a year and a half ago and mom is living with me now. Sis and nephew are also living in my house. I like helping people. I'm naturally have the heart for people who are in need. I let some few relatives stayed in my house for a year without asking for any kind of payment. Food and shelter provided.

The situation I have now is, there's a girl living in another country who needs financial help finishing her college education. She will start college in a few months. I know her personally and I know she's a smart girl but her family can't afford to put her to college ( theres no loans or grants in this country). I'm thinking of supporting her college education. Its a four year degree and I will be giving her tuition money for that period till she graduates. Our agreement is once she graduates and start working, she will send another kid to college and that kid will do the same thing to another kid.

My question is, guys, would you avoid dating a girl who has this financial responsibility of helping other people even tho its something that makes her happy? Im not sure if its something I should disclose to the person I date. I don't want to scare them off but I don't want to hide anything as well. Thank you.

Last edited by Missganda; 05-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
My question is, guys, would you avoid dating a girl who has this financial responsibility of helping other people even tho its something that makes her happy? Thank you.
No, I wouldn't avoid it.

And thank you

Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
You seem extraordinarily kind and generous. I would say this is NOT a deterrent for a like-minded man as long as the following conditions are met:
1) You are treated well by the people you are helping and not allowing yourself to be taken advantage of.
2) You are not jeopardizing your own financial security.
3) You are not overextending yourself.
4) You are not enabling people who are otherwise capable of taking care of themselves and are capable of "cutting off" people who are now ready to take full financial responsibility for themselves.
5) You know how to prioritize your partner in terms of time and attention.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i would say she has a very kind heart......
and yes..

Old 05-11-2013, 03:04 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You seem extraordinarily kind and generous. I would say this is NOT a deterrent for a like-minded man as long as the following conditions are met:
1) You are treated well by the people you are helping and not allowing yourself to be taken advantage of.
4) You are not enabling people who are otherwise capable of taking care of themselves and are capable of "cutting off" people who are now ready to take full financial responsibility for themselves.
You seem like a very generous, giving, wonderful girl, OP.

But I do agree with the above. JrzDefector is an incredibly wise poster.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
The way I see it...Do what you want w/ your own money, and more power to you.
If you are dating it is your business what you are doing w/ your money. If you were married and both jointly contributing, that would require full disclosure on both your parts.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm just blessed to be able to have some extra money to give away to other people who are in need. I think the best way to do it is to help a kid to fulfill her dreams of getting a college education. What concerns me tho is in four years, I would like to see myself married and maybe have a kid of my own. I'm not sure if its something that would create some problems in the future.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The way I see it...Do what you want w/ your own money, and more power to you.
If you are dating it is your business what you are doing w/ your money. If you were married and both jointly contributing, that would require full disclosure on both your parts.
I don't disclose to the any guys I date that I have this financial responsibilities. I'm afraid that they may get scared or something. They know I'm single with no kids and being single with no kids means that I only support myself but that's not my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships