Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Name 10 traits more important than looks?
self confidence

sense of humor

manners

personality

conversation skills

attitude

humility (lack of huge ego)

life experience

education

quality of friendships

non smoker

loves animals

well read

financially stable (no huge debt)

no baby mama's (or at least not more than one)

goals

should I go on??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 AM

154 posts, read 245,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Obviously young people look the best, both the men and women.
And, obviously looks certainly play a great role in chemistry, and chemistry matters a lot to some

....But looks fade and people get old, wrinkly, fat, and grey. Some people earlier than others... Through out my time here I have seen that this fade affects some relationships (either directly or indirectly), where as others manage to stick through...

...My question is, how do you deal with that crap? What must you do to see the relationship past the looks to make it together with one person to the old age?
Quote:
.But looks fade
Not if you are Rob Lowe.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
Not if you are Rob Lowe.
You can't rely on your partner being genetically superior.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:
You can't rely on your partner being genetically superior.

You can rely on some acceptance of reality though, if you plan to be in a long term relationship.

A person who can't handle their partner getting wrinkles or grey hair would just seem odd. Does that same person not look in the mirror to see they are aging as well.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
You can rely on some acceptance of reality though, if you plan to be in a long term relationship.

A person who can't handle their partner getting wrinkles or grey hair would just seem odd. Does that same person not look in the mirror to see they are aging as well.
There has been plenty of times where the said person refused to accept reality and cheated on their partner. Some have also divorced their partner.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:50 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:
There has been plenty of times where the said person refused to accept reality and cheated on their partner. Some have also divorced their partner.

Simply because of grey hair they cheated...nope that isn't the sole reason someone cheats, or divorces.

Perhaps they had overinflated egos about what they felt entitled to.

Do you personally know "plenty" of these people?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
No one wants to grow old really, but if you are already there most people do not want to be alone in their old age. They want someone to talk to, holds hands with, do things with, get to know each other on a deep level, laugh and have good times, be there for each other in the bad times, make their golden years special.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Stay rooted in the present. Don't be afraid to feel like you're still 16. When you look in the mirror today vs. 10 years ago, do you really see any changes? If not, then you won't when you're 60 or 70 and neither will the person you have been looking at for, say, 20-30 years, either. We always see the beauty in the people we love: ie, the heart bone is connected to the brain bone is connected to the eye bone.

Stop worrying, or else you will become miserable.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 AM

56 posts, read 119,086 times
How I deal with my old age?
Simple.
I buy ticket to Thailand and young whores are waiting.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Obviously young people look the best, both the men and women.
And, obviously looks certainly play a great role in chemistry, and chemistry matters a lot to some

....But looks fade and people get old, wrinkly, fat, and grey. Some people earlier than others... Through out my time here I have seen that this fade affects some relationships (either directly or indirectly), where as others manage to stick through...

...My question is, how do you deal with that crap? What must you do to see the relationship past the looks to make it together with one person to the old age?

You really have to marry your best friend not your best "looking" friend. You have to absolutely like each other first, then love, mutual respect, trust, etc. follows. No matter what anyone says on any forum or web site or even the "professionals", there is no age range which is best to settle down. It is different for everyone but seriously do NOT "just settle" for someone. Live your life, find the perfect partner for you, not that they will be perfect but they will be perfect for you and move forward together, side by side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships