Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:47 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

If you look a lot younger than your age, you may not have any choice but to date younger. People your age won't be interested, unless they find out your age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM

332 posts, read 868,644 times
Maybe the reason women your age treat you younger is because you act younger? By younger I mean more immature. I find that older guys date much younger women when they have serious non commital issues or are very immature. An 18 yr old or 21 yr old would more likely fit their personality.

Dating someone younger just becauses you look younger is an immature way of thinking. I look a decade younger than I am that even Asian women compliment me on it. However, I have always been more of an old soul so age is irrelevant but I most likely date late 20's or early 30's not because these are closer to my age but because they are more settled and are at the same stage I am in. We want to settle, ready financially, down to earth, etc. The younger guys 18-24 you can't take too seriously yet. They're still in school, not ready for anything serious, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm 27 but probably look 20-21 tops. Some still think I'm a teenager. My father is in his 60s yet people think he's late 40s. I still don't look like a rugged 'man', unless perhaps I grow out my facial hair, which I sometimes do, but that's not my look anyway.

At this age, I can date anyone 18 and up, and I seem to be meeting a lot of people younger than me. I notice a lot of guys my age look old, some of them like they're going on 40 lol.

It's a pretty silly thing, and of course it wouldn't decide who I dated, but i'm wondering if you think it makes sense to aim younger? I mean as long as they're mature age isn't a number: although 22 to 30 is my preference, but when I start dating again, hopefully soon, I'm wondering if I should focus more on the 20-24 year old cohort. In terms of relationship experience it would also make sense too. It's funny even with women my age, some of them treat me a bit like I'm much younger than them, lol.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
I'm 27 but probably look 20-21 tops. Some still think I'm a teenager. My father is in his 60s yet people think he's late 40s. I still don't look like a rugged 'man', unless perhaps I grow out my facial hair, which I sometimes do, but that's not my look anyway.

At this age, I can date anyone 18 and up, and I seem to be meeting a lot of people younger than me. I notice a lot of guys my age look old, some of them like they're going on 40 lol.

It's a pretty silly thing, and of course it wouldn't decide who I dated, but i'm wondering if you think it makes sense to aim younger? I mean as long as they're mature age isn't a number: although 22 to 30 is my preference, but when I start dating again, hopefully soon, I'm wondering if I should focus more on the 20-24 year old cohort. In terms of relationship experience it would also make sense too. It's funny even with women my age, some of them treat me a bit like I'm much younger than them, lol.
Well, just make sure that they are at least 18. Whatever age you want to date from 18 up is okay. I'm 29 and People still say I look not a day older than 18. I'll accept women a couple of years younger than me.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:24 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
I also think younger women seem more attracted to me, or would be, and are probably more open-minded than older ones. Personality-wise I used to think I preferred someone older, but many people get too jaded and set in their ways. Many women might laugh at the idea of dating a late 20s guy with no experience. I feel more on the level of a 20 year old who hasn't had much experience.
I can definitely relate to this, and to the original post as well. I am in my early 30's, but could easily pass for as young as 25, and perhaps at times even a few years younger than that. Much like the original poster, people always seem to the think that my younger sibling is the older one, rather than me. Shortly after I graduated from college some years ago and started working professionally, it was extremely pleasing and flattering (in a good way) when someone at work actually asked me one day if I was still in highschool. Please understand, I'm not to trying to boast or anything like that here, but TBH, I have always had something of a babyface, lol

I can also certainly understand the OP's quote above. I also have very little exp. with relationships overall as well, and for some reason (still unknown to me fully), women my own age have historically not been very nice -- and actually rather unkind and even harsh -- to me when I dated and pursued them romantically them in the past, in many instances. I have generally had much better success with talking with and relating to women from between the ages of say 18-24, as they just understood and got me as a person, much better than the older ladies overall. To be completely fair though, there was one girl who was older than me who was very, very nice and gentle to me, but that was like the one and only gal 30+ who was ever actually nice to me [more on her below], vs. the ~30 or so 30+ ladies I knew and actually dated some years ago, who weren't To me though, a nice girl is a nice girl, regardless of her age...and so I would love potentially and care about an affectionate 30+ y/o woman just as much as caring 20 y/o woman. (In fact at one point, I actually had a very serious, longterm-style romantic link with a very kind and compassionate lady, who was in her 40's )

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-21-2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Edits

Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,673,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I also have very little exp. with relationships overall
By all means, take advantage of your baby face and date those young women and have your first puppy love because you lack experience. Just don't be like some guys I know who are in their mid 30s with no experience and attempt to date very young women because they missed the boat on experiencing puppy love.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,910 times
No.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
It makes sense to date whom you're attracted to.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Not necessarily. If that's your preference, yes. But just looking older doesn't, for everybody (in fact, not for most people) mean you're of a younger mindset. You've been through more experiences, you're a different person no matter how much "cool" music you play or how you wear your hair. No matter how much younger you may think your mindset is, if you're even thinking the idea of "I have a younger mindset!", then you're not young, LOL. People who really are young just don't need to think that thought.

So no. Looking younger doesn't automatically mean dating younger in general will be a satisfying thing for either of you.

Again, if it's a preference, then it is, and certainly many people do date younger and are very happy. But even if you look younger...you're not. That's just a fact. You've lived more life than the younger person has, and there's no going back from that.
Are you implying 27 isn't young? I'm 23, does that mean I'm only *barely* young at best?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
IME, most people who say they look younger, don't.
I know this guy in real life. Trust me, he does. I'm four years younger than him but I think many people would think I was older.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Are you implying 27 isn't young? I'm 23, does that mean I'm only *barely* young at best?
Yes, break out the thick panty liners. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships