Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,164,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sorry things didn't work out for you. Don't give up. I can't believe there are not a bunch of guys that would be interested in you, especially the gear head, engine, video game types. Keep in mind you only need one, you don't need 1/2 the men in the city chasing you. Someone will come along and be crazy about you. Same thing happened to my wife. She dated several guys, almost engaged to one, but never really clicked with one she liked. She got chased by some real losers. We met, and I thought she was great. I couldn't believe no one else had snatched up this beautiful woman. She's still mine and we still get along great. Its worth waiting for the right one, but its not easy.

Did you ever think of getting in with the racing people? Tons of guys. Keep your tickets to the Star Trek convention. But with that group, you may have to make the first move.
But that's the thing I don't think most men want to date women who act like dudes, they want to date feminine women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 12:51 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,226,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm super bummed about it, and who else would I talk to but my CD buddies

Bought a new outfit, lookin super cute, went out to the park to meet the guy I've been seeing and he told me that he just wasn't feeling it like he had with previous girlfriends. He said he had a TON of fun with me, but saw me as more of a 'friend' than a 'girlfriend'. I told him to be brutally honest with me and he said it was because we split the tab and that I suggested dates instead of letting him do it.

I'm way more bummed about this than I thought I would be but I realized that I have ZERO idea of what to do with guys. I told him that it sucks that I have to hide all of my interests (cars, video games etc.) just to get guys to be interested in me. He agreed and said that must 'suck' to have to do that.

So...guess I'm super single again

Ah, my friend. I'm sorry to hear that.

But yep. Contrary to what the vocal C-D miserati like to blather on about--why can't women ask men out, why can't women pay, why can't women romance men, why-why-whyyyyyynnnnne--I will say to my dying day that many, if not most, if not the vast majority, of men enjoy a little chase and will not appreciate when a woman makes dating too easy for them. Not talking about sex, but about paying and taking the lead in suggesting dates in the beginning.

Honestly? I think a gal should just enjoy it when a guy takes the lead, because you'll be hearing "so what do you want to do tonight/tomorrow/this weekend" like a mantra soon enough anyway!

Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,581,655 times
I'm sorry Jet Jockey. That really sucks. I think it will be better in the end, but I know in the moment it doesn't feel good.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:00 AM

39,332 posts, read 27,714,397 times
Quote:
He said he had a TON of fun with me, but saw me as more of a 'friend' than a 'girlfriend'.
He's a dork! You deserve better.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:19 AM

11,403 posts, read 24,500,283 times
I think you have a built in defensive mechanism that makes it hard for people to get close to you. You're a tough girl who is deeply vulnerable.

Until you learn to let other people take the lead in something, till you allow yourself to gracefully accept kindness, till you accept yourself without blaming your failures on your height, your scars, your tattoos, your choice of whatever it is that makes you stand out and protects you, men and other women will have a hard time wanting to get close to you.

Doesn't mean you have to change who you are, or does it?

You're smart. Figure it out.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,104,879 times
Quote:
I'm super bummed about it, and who else would I talk to but my CD buddies

Bought a new outfit, lookin super cute, went out to the park to meet the guy I've been seeing and he told me that he just wasn't feeling it like he had with previous girlfriends. He said he had a TON of fun with me, but saw me as more of a 'friend' than a 'girlfriend'. I told him to be brutally honest with me and he said it was because we split the tab and that I suggested dates instead of letting him do it.

I'm way more bummed about this than I thought I would be but I realized that I have ZERO idea of what to do with guys. I told him that it sucks that I have to hide all of my interests (cars, video games etc.) just to get guys to be interested in me. He agreed and said that must 'suck' to have to do that.

So...guess I'm super single again
I'm very sorry to hear this as I had just read where you had posted in another thread about how happy you were with him

You seem to be level headed as hell and the fact that you love cars would make it seem as if you would have guys falling all over you anyway...woman who loves cars= kick ass

You shouldn't have to hide ANY interest/hobby you enjoy and I lived through a spell like that with a woman who hated guitar players ...its not a good way to live at all.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 AM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
But that's the thing I don't think most men want to date women who act like dudes, they want to date feminine women.
There are all kinds of guys out there with all kinds of preferences. They don't all want to date feminine women. Life isn't a cliche. Life is full of variety. Take a look around you. Guys don't have to be macho in order to attract women, and women don't have to be feminine in order to find someone.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 AM

29,773 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are all kinds of guys out there with all kinds of preferences. They don't all want to date feminine women. Life isn't a cliche. Life is full of variety. Take a look around you. Guys don't have to be macho in order to attract women, and women don't have to be feminine in order to find someone.
But that just brings up the verkakte definition of what "feminine" is. Being feminine isn't being a mousy doormat. I'm about to go outside and do a bunch of yardwork. Is me pushing a lawnmower not feminine? Or am I a woman doing some chores?

I'm sad for JJ, because she deserves a great guy, and despite some missteps, she's remaining optimistic. Her experience is showing the mixed signals that modern women get--for all the complaining about wanting financial equality and hating drama, it's the drama and the chivalry that attracts the guys.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:35 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,072,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I think at most peoples core is a desire to be with someone, I don't think being single is desirable for most people. It does not have anything to do with self validation.
Agreed people need to admit and know what they want. Most people want partners. Just continue to be yourself and the right guy will find you. (I know you want a partner, I'm just commenting on the "I don't need a man crowd" It's mostly BS, most people want to be with someone.)

Last edited by lastwomanstanding; 05-26-2013 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,490,329 times
Quote:
I told him to be brutally honest with me and he said it was because we split the tab and that I suggested dates instead of letting him do it.
What???

This makes no sense at all. I don't believe his explanation for a minute. I have a feeling this guy isn't telling you the whole truth. If you put a gun to my head and made me guess what was really going on, I'd say there was a third person involved.

He's a creep. You can do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships