Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you pursue a single woman who chose this route
Yes, As long as shes otherwise normal, No problem 11 44.00%
No, Not my cup of tea 11 44.00%
Other 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM

11,821 posts, read 12,072,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I can understand her position considering it was her last chance and she was desperate.

"If a woman is financially secure and decides to have a child then I don't see an issue with how she gets pregnant"
To me that could reflect how important it was to her to have a father in her childs life vs a test tube.

My friend adopted two children from China. She wanted to be a mother, and rather than find any old guy to do the deed, chose to be a single mother. Should women who don't have partners have to forego parenthood simply because they haven't found the right person to create children with, and therefore fathers aren't important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM

31,150 posts, read 22,186,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Since I am a woman who dates men I will switch it around to would I date a man who intentionally became a single father through surrogate and the answer is (this will surprise people)yes, assuming the surrogate isn't in the picture. Now, would I date a man who donated sperm? good question and not sure what I would say.
That is a good question. In good concience I don't think I could be a sperm donor. something in the back of my head says I have a child that is part of me out there?

Besides, in some states and countries I could be held financially responsible for a child that I never met?

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-31-2013 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,059,972 times
Quote:
That would be a very logical decision. I can understand that outlook. For me I would have to balance the need for a child to connect with his bio parent vs. how bad of an infuence the bio parent is. For whatever the reason, the need for a Father seems to be marginalized further and further every year in modern society.
I do tend to agree here too. Specifics would matter, such as how old the child is, whether they have a strong male figure in their life, etc etc. So details will always matter in case by case examination. A strong, positively influential father is very important to a child.

From the standpoint of dating a woman with a child, however, and if the goal was to develop a LTR or potentially lead to marriage, then no bio-dad would generally be favorable if the existence of one causes a lot of strife... and I see far more seperated parents in constant strife than I see them harmoniously share their child. (I know a good number of seperated parents).

Devil is always in the details.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
My friend adopted two children from China. She wanted to be a mother, and rather than find any old guy to do the deed, chose to be a single mother. Should women who don't have partners have to forego parenthood simply because they haven't found the right person to create children with, and therefore fathers aren't important?
Same could apply to men, who adopt or would hire a surrogate, and therefore mothers aren't important?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,580,651 times
Even if I did date single mothers, I would be hesitant to date a AI mother. She has show that she doesn't care for her kids to have a father in her life. She has shown she basically thinks the father is useless part of a childs upbringing. So why would I have a kid with a mother with those viewpoints? I'd much rather prefer a single mother who was divorced.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM

332 posts, read 436,685 times
No. But then again, I wouldn't have anything other than a FWB with a woman who had kids.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,910,283 times
Quote:
That is a good question. In good concience I don't think I could be a sperm donor. something in the back of my head says I have a child that is part of me out there?
Years ago I considered being an egg donor and ultimately decided against it partly because of that. I would always wonder if I had a biological child and it would depress me especially if I never had a child.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Even if I did date single mothers, I would be hesitant to date a AI mother. She has show that she doesn't care for her kids to have a father in her life. She has shown she basically thinks the father is useless part of a childs upbringing. So why would I have a kid with a mother with those viewpoints? I'd much rather prefer a single mother who was divorced.
I have no problems dating single mothers, and I share this view to a point. If the woman "really" has the viewpoint that a "father is worthless" than why should I date her? That would imply she would also think that her own father was worthless

In the case of the woman I work with and most women I imagine, it's more a case of running out of time combined with not finding an eligible man. This, I am fine with.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
If anything, I'd have more respect for a woman who chose to have a child alone than one who chose to have a child with a deadbeat loser, which seems to happen more often.
It's an odd question. It seems to imply that an artificial type of conception might make a woman less desirable than just using some random guy as a sperm donor without telling him about the child. That's not uncommon, but you don't see people on forums asking whether having done that places a stigma on the mother.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,274,125 times
Quote:
I can understand her position considering it was her last chance and she was desperate.

"If a woman is financially secure and decides to have a child then I don't see an issue with how she gets pregnant"
To me that could reflect how important it was to her to have a father in her childs life vs a test tube.
I think every women wants their child to have a father but getting pregnant by a guy does not mean your child will have a father in their life.........I'm an example of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships