Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,624,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This doesn't really make any sense. I've gone through IVF with my wife. The first thing they do is test your sperm for both quality and count. If you were infertile this would have raised a red flag with them immediately and the clinic would have informed both you and your wife. Every time I did the fill up the cup thing I was given a count and a quality report. The procedure was the same at all three clinics we dealt with.
This doesn't make sense, I don't recall OP saying they went the IVF route.

Unless "mayo clinic" is lingo for that then I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,901,396 times
I'm confused by OP. Apparently you have Klinefelter's syndrome...what does that mean?

From what I understand the conclusive diagnosis would be made by karyotyping/chromosomal analysis. Did you have that done? Otherwise you don't really know you have it. I can't see a responsible doctor telling you have it without doing the tests to definitively diagnose it.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,718,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
This doesn't make sense, I don't recall OP saying they went the IVF route.

Unless "mayo clinic" is lingo for that then I apologize.
It doesn't really need to go all the way to IVF. I thought he said fertility treatment, and that starts with getting a sample from the man. They don't start fertility treatments until they make some determination as to where the problem is. Even the best treatment in the world wouldn't do much good if the guy was shoot blanks or had a bunch of bad swimmers. I did go back and re-read his post. It sounds like he went to the clinic AFTER she became pregnant. I'm still not sure why you would go that route. The OP needs to provide a more clear timeline. Still, I have to go with what other posters have stated. I've know several people that had "miracle" babies after one of the parents was declared sterile/barren. I wouldn't not panic until I had more solid information. Comparing blood types would be a start.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,243,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I'm confused by OP. Apparently you have Klinefelter's syndrome...what does that mean?

From what I understand the conclusive diagnosis would be made by karyotyping/chromosomal analysis. Did you have that done? Otherwise you don't really know you have it. I can't see a responsible doctor telling you have it without doing the tests to definitively diagnose it.
I ain't the op but basically it's xxy chromosomes.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I ain't the op but basically it's xxy chromosomes.
Well yes I know that. I'm confused by his use of the word "apparently".

One of my kids had chromosomal testing done. You don't get the results back the same day, and for us it wasn't even done locally.

The poster is making a lot of leaps here.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'd get a second opinion. Several of my siblings and their spouses have gone through difficulty conceiving, and fertility clinics have been wrong about fertility and sperm viability as often as they've been right.
My husband I went through struggles with infertility. I conceived my second naturally while having the expectation something like that would never ever happen. So yeah there are generally not always guarantees about what will or will not happen.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,751,987 times
So, here's something that doesn't make sense:

You're apparently seeing a fertility doctor, although to outward appearances, you've already fathered a child.
Presumably your wife is aware that you're going thru a fertility workup, since generally couples get to go through that simultaneously. (I find it hard to believe a woman would risk infidelity when she and her partner were going thru a fertility workup.)

From my understanding, the first thing fertility clinics do, after verifying your insurance, is send the man off for a specimen so they can do a sperm count. Was there ever an issue in the past with a low sperm count?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,624,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
It doesn't really need to go all the way to IVF. I thought he said fertility treatment, and that starts with getting a sample from the man. They don't start fertility treatments until they make some determination as to where the problem is. Even the best treatment in the world wouldn't do much good if the guy was shoot blanks or had a bunch of bad swimmers. I did go back and re-read his post. It sounds like he went to the clinic AFTER she became pregnant. I'm still not sure why you would go that route. The OP needs to provide a more clear timeline. Still, I have to go with what other posters have stated. I've know several people that had "miracle" babies after one of the parents was declared sterile/barren. I wouldn't not panic until I had more solid information. Comparing blood types would be a start.
I agree with the last statements. No need to panic without DNA tests.

But OP didn't mention fertility clinics at all, no reason to think they went that route. Lots of folks don't get tested from fear of finding they're impotent/unable.

Testing come after many years of failed attempts.

OP just needs a DNA test on his first child, then take it from there. Also need to lay off the alcohol as it helps nothing.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:

But OP didn't mention fertility clinics at all, no reason to think they went that route. Lots of folks don't get tested from fear of finding they're impotent/unable.

OP just needs a DNA test on his first child, then take it from there. Also need to lay off the alcohol as it helps nothing.
He mentioned the fertility clinic in one of the initial posts.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Are you saying semen testing would come after years of failed attempts. That it isn't necessarily true, could come much earlier than that. I think the general consensus is to start preliminary investigations after 6 months to a year of trying depending on the age of the woman. Semen testing is noninvasive and relatively inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships