Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:06 AM

17 posts, read 72,404 times

Advertisements

I was listening to this radio talk show yesterday and they had a discussion where they think that working women are ruining traditional marriages. I don't understand how is this possible. So what do you think about this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,819,841 times
I think they've watched too much Mad Men.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,319,179 times
Ruining "traditional" marriage...probably.

But who said "traditional" marriage is the gold standard. Times are changing and so must the institution of marriage. How we define it is becoming much more individualized and the spectrum is much broader than it used to be (gay marriage for example).

Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,634,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflamesx View Post
I was listening to this radio talk show yesterday and they had a discussion where they think that working women are ruining traditional marriages. I don't understand how is this possible. So what do you think about this topic?
That's the common and deliberately false "explanation" for a widespread phenomena of marriage destruction. Women in workforce has nothing to do with it, there are other reasons, primarily cultural and social. Then it comes the legal aspect. But the primary reason is how the people are raised and what influence they have. TV, media and government massively contributed to that phenomena.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,833,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflamesx View Post
What do I think of the topic? The last gasp of angry people being led kicking and screaming into a new way of life. A lot of that going around these days. Whatever.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,819,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
That's the common and deliberately false "explanation" for a widespread phenomena of marriage destruction. Women in workforce has nothing to do with it, there are other reasons, primarily cultural and social. Then it comes the legal aspect. But the primary reason is how the people are raised and what influence they have. TV, media and government massively contributed to that phenomena.
Oh I think there is some relevance to women working. At one time, women couldn't just leave a ****ty husband. They wouldn't have been able to earn enough money to support themselves and their children and courts always ruled in men's favour anyway. So they were walking away from their children and heading for poverty.

I for one am glad that there is a choice now. Women don't have to get married and don't have to stay. They get married and stay if they want to.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,594,767 times
I think the expectations imposed by media and what we impose on each other is the biggest enemy of marriage...
We're all supposed to be the perfect man or woman, with a job that connects to our masters degree, the "basic" material assets like a house that is bigger than what we need, a car that is really more of an accessory computer with 2 pairs of wheels on it, have social personalities, same religious belief as the other and no bad habits.

This is like 1% of people, and those 1% have other flaws that isn't covered by the above, and for as long as we have to "settle for something below the ideal" instead of just accepting that the partner might have as many flaws as we have ourselves we're gonna be chasing over bridges towards grass that looks greener.

which means not marrying when the match was reasonably good and leaving marriages which we maybe shouldn't...

I think we also want to have everything "perfect" as soon as we get together rather than beeing willing to work on building things up from the start...

Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,438,867 times
If "traditional" marriages were so great, women wouldn't have wanted to work outside the home. Looks like "traditional" marriages ruined themselves.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,116,162 times
No they are not ruining marriages..many are trying to keep marriages together as traditional jobs are being outsourced and sent to cheap labor countries,men are struggling more and more every day to keep food on the table and the lights on...thnak God there are women who care enough for their families to abandon tradition and help out.

You need to quit listening to those rwnj talking heads on the radio while you're at it too..nothing but trash talk.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,251,548 times
The happiest couples I know have both spouses working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships