Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times

Advertisements

I would have thought pharmaceutical companies would have been all over it straight after they brought out the pill for women. At the moment, men have limited options for birth control. As a woman unable to take hormonal birth control, it would be nice if men could have this option. I found the presumption was that I would take sole responsibility for birth control and that seems like BS to me. In this day and age, men are financially liable for unplanned births. I see lots of men complaining about paying child support and women who get pregnant by lying to them. But I don't see these men pushing for more birth control options.

Why don't we hear from MRA's about the NEED for men's birth control options? I would think this would be a high priority issue? Men need more choices here. The consequences for men's mental health and life time finances are huge. Where's the outcry?

Why aren't pharmaceutical companies in a rush to develop a men's pill? I've looked at a few articles online and I haven't found any satisfactory answers.

And why do some women I talk to just seem to blow male BC off as unnecessary? I'd like my son's to be able to have the option to take BC, just like my daughter will (hopefully she has a tougher liver than me) have that option. Most of women's BC options revolve around hormonal birth control. Wouldn't it be good if a significant number of our options weren't cut if one of us can't use it? There are a lot of medical conditions that contraindicate hormonal BC. Shouldn't women want this door opened too?

I've found some women start telling me that I should have just kept trying different brands until I found one that worked when they hear I can't take hormonal birth control. So I'll be specific to skip the lecture. I have a history of cholestasis which is a contraindication for hormonal birth control. When we tried (me and my dr) the mini-pill anyway because it's progestin only it triggered cholestasis again, so I stopped using it before I turned yellow and scratched my skin raw. Hormones during pregnancy and from birth control cause problems for my liver and gall bladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Dam, I would be all over that as a mistake is life changing!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
If there was a male birth control pill, humans would go extinct.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:59 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
I didnt know it was already a proven pharamsudical. The drug companies have to test the drug and get it FDA approved. Everything involving govt entities take eons.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:01 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
The number of births would decline more then it already has in the last ten years

Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
LOL come on don't be like that birth control has been around since dawn its going to take more than that for humans to go extinct.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The number of births would decline more then it already has in the last ten years
that would take car of the over population and using up natural resources issus

Old 06-27-2013, 04:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I don't think it will matter as much...there will be those who are responsible of course, but there are also plenty of men out there who think that having multiple children from multiple women is some sort of virility contest. Those are the ones who need it most...but are probably the least likely to take it.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:08 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
LOL come on don't be like that birth control has been around since dawn its going to take more than that for humans to go extinct.
The reason why most babies are born is because women want them.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:10 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I've read there is some male BC created in India that is very effective & way easier for men to use than the hormonal BC is for women. It involves injecting some gel into the vas deferens which kills sperm, & it's easily reversed with another injection & is an outpatient procedure.

I think the reason it's not on the market is MONEY. It's apparently too cheap & simple & not seen as profitable enough. Can't remember where I read that, so don't quote me :P.

I don't like hormonal BC either. There were negative side effects I cannot live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships