Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,703 times

Advertisements

I'm not a dancer but I went to a singles dance and something that I noticed is that pretty much all women would dance with any guy regardless of looks. The guys didn't even half to ask, the women would gladly just go up to them because they just want to dance regardless.

I used to think that it might mean a women was interested in you if she asked you to dance but not anymore. Last night a girl asked me to dance and I told her I don't dance and she started begging so I went ahead and danced anyway but I don't know why since it didn't get me anywhere, not even a quick conversation. I think if you could dig a corpse up from the grave, attach some stings to it and dangle it from above women would dance with it.

So if this is true it begs the question, what's the point of dancing with women if it has no bearing on whether or not they're interested in you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 01:39 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Maybe because it's fun, good exercise, a good way to get out and meet people with similar interests, etc. I dance at least 1x/week and one thing that turns me off to a man faster than anything at a dance is when I sense that he couldn't care less about dancing and is just there to pick up women. I'm not saying that's your problem but something to think about. The women are probably looking for good dancers and good dancers are not always the most attractive. Also, you may be one of the few left so they ask you. So yes, you're right--they're there to dance and possibly they may be happy to meet someone but it's probably not their main focus. I think you're just remembering the "good ole days" of middle school.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:40 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Sure wasn't that way in highschool.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I'm not a dancer but I went to a singles dance and something that I noticed is that pretty much all women would dance with any guy regardless of looks. The guys didn't even half to ask, the women would gladly just go up to them because they just want to dance regardless.

I used to think that it might mean a women was interested in you if she asked you to dance but not anymore. Last night a girl asked me to dance and I told her I don't dance and she started begging so I went ahead and danced anyway but I don't know why since it didn't get me anywhere, not even a quick conversation. I think if you could dig a corpse up from the grave, attach some stings to it and dangle it from above women would dance with it.

So if this is true it begs the question, what's the point of dancing with women if it has no bearing on whether or not they're interested in you?
I am not a good-looking guy but I've had women literally kidnap me onto the dance floor. I think women in that environment are just looking to have fun and any guy who is already throwing down on the dance floor are going to give them the most fun. I don't mind if dancing don't turn into anything. I'm just out with my friends looking to have fun.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:51 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Maybe because it's fun, good exercise, a good way to get out and meet people with similar interests, etc. I dance at least 1x/week and one thing that turns me off to a man faster than anything at a dance is when I sense that he couldn't care less about dancing and is just there to pick up women. I'm not saying that's your problem but something to think about. The women are probably looking for good dancers and good dancers are not always the most attractive. Also, you may be one of the few left so they ask you. So yes, you're right--they're there to dance and possibly they may be happy to meet someone but it's probably not their main focus. I think you're just remembering the "good ole days" of middle school.
Well it was a singles convention so yes, "picking up women" is the whole point. Come to think of it, it seems like a lot of women that go to these things have no interests in meeting men and they're really just there to dance.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Dancing is fun for its own sake, and becoming really good at it takes practice. You don't learn how to dance with a woman by watching YouTube and holding a pillow. As you make your way through life, there will be weddings and bar mitzvahs and occasions where knowing how to dance for real will impress a woman 100% of the time. If you have the guts to shake it at a club, that's already a good thing, but knowing how to waltz with a smile on your face will score you bigger ... oh so much bigger. The bridesmaids will fight for your attention.

In order to dance like this, you must dance with women. Not just the gorgeous ones, but their friends and their aunts and grandmothers so you can move your feet without falling all over yourself. Tall ones and short ones and skinny ones and fat ones, so you know what to do and where to hold them.

You're not wasting time, you're practicing.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Well it was a singles convention so yes, "picking up women" is the whole point. Come to think of it, it seems like a lot of women that go to these things have no interests in meeting men and they're really just there to dance.
Soo... why not just go dance?

Sounds like that's where all the fun was, anyway.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:49 PM

288 posts, read 255,702 times
If I'm in a scenario and everyone Danes, the person that just stands there becomes very unattractive. Get out there and dance, maybe you'll meet someone, according to your post that was the idea.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
OK, but it does seem to me that the quickest way to become bitter in this life is to have expectations of how other people should act. As someone who dances regularly, I rarely have an interest in dating the men I dance with, but there are some and then I have to figure out another way to communicate that interest, like ummm, flirting. I'm primarily there to dance and if I should happen to meet a nice someone, it's all good, but I certainly don't go in with that expectation.

Oh and I will add that I won't dance with just anyone. I might give the new guy a shakedown but if he's a terrible and disinterested dancer, and not attractive to me besides, then I'll only ask him if there's no one else left. The worst ones are the ones who don't give "weight." That is, that they don't push back, and it seems like a good analogy for predicting how things would go in the bedroom. LOL, how did I get to that one?

So, in other words, if you want to meet someone at a dance, you need to learn to dance! It's like any other enterprise--those who will stand out as most attractive are the ones who perform the most competently.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
No fun allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships