Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,279,598 times

Advertisements

I remain "friends" with my ex and yes we text on birthdays/holidays. I think its fine theres no bad feelings at all with us so why not? Plus we randomly text just to see how one another are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,227,805 times
No.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,266,657 times
No way.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:46 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,837,306 times
If you are not at all in contact after a break up I see no point in wishing them a happy birthday or holiday.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,079,283 times
Clearly he wants communication with you. I have had birthdays where I was single and I wanted to go out so I called an ex and went out with them. BAD idea because someone always wants there to be another date. I was still in communication with another ex and it happened to be his birthday so I did say happy birthday. I can't remember if that was the year I asked him to do me a favor (we mutually did each other favors.) and he said "you want me to do that on my birthday? I had forgotten his birthday Good guy so I felt bad. I did say happy birthday only because we were already in communication.

This guy OP is tapping you because he wants a response, to NOT be in No contact. If you don't want contact anymore, keep it that way. It's like giving with strings attached , that's why he said it twice.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,143,558 times
Nope. I generally feel if you are going to break up then it's over and why remain in contact?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 PM

37,821 posts, read 46,358,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
So after breaking up with me 4 months ago (via text after a 3 year relationship) and absolutely no contact since then, my ex texted me "Happy Birthday"-to which I didn't respond and deleted the message. Later that day he called me and left me a voice mail wishing me a Happy Birthday again-which I then deleted after listening.

I am the type of girl that once a relationship is over, its over. I have never ever contacted an ex on holidays or birthdays.

Is this common? Have any of you done this yourselves or had someone do it to you?
Heck no. But I can certainly see this for those people that have remained good friends. I know at least one gal that does this. She and her hubbie are actually best buds with her ex and his wife.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,396,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I would send a quickie text or e-mail if it ended on good terms. But I'm not the type that would wipe that person out of my life simply because we ended a relationship. Seems I'm in the minority though.
I'm with you. If I'm single and still friends with my ex (and they are single) I may wish them a happy birthday. Check in from time to time.

I'm a very caring person though, I genuinely do care in a friendship way for most any girl I have ever dated, regardless of whether things ended on good or bad terms. I have a very hard time going for caring a ton to not caring at all. It's just how I was raised. I have had girls I have dated contact me for advice or just to chat when they were down about something (even another guy) and I am totally fine and appreciate that.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,058,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I would send a quickie text or e-mail if it ended on good terms. But I'm not the type that would wipe that person out of my life simply because we ended a relationship. Seems I'm in the minority though.
Me too. I'm actually good friends with almost all my exs. They know me better than anyone else. No reason to waste that.

I usually will send birthday emails.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM

969 posts, read 2,861,425 times
I have children with my ex - I see no reason NOT to wish the parent of my child "Happy Birthday"
Shows your children you respect the person that helped bring them into the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships